2020 Match - Pathology Continues to be Less Competitive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone seen the show Better Than US (on Netflix)? The main character is a disgraced Russian neurosurgeon who accidentally killed some high-ranking official's family member intraoperatively, and was forced to become a pathologist as the only career choice available to him. This is a plot detail that's completely unrelated to the main robot-fantasy-drama-thriller story btw. In the head space of the show writers and viewers, pathologists are apparently so comparatively unskilled/worthless that a neurosurgeon (or presumably any other type of clinical physician) can just seamlessly transition to practicing pathology in the hospital basement after losing their clinical privileges.

View attachment 324302
Thanks for the heads up-the women are beautiful-i need an ARISA

Members don't see this ad.

pathology is the best specialty as there are alternative visas to look for a waiver job after graduation and then take a waiver and apply for green card through EB1 ( or get an H1b residency with a research background).
LOL. Very few programs in the country give H1B for residency and waiver jobs in path are more like an urban legends due to devastating job market.
ANY clinical field is much better in this regard.

LOL. Very few programs in the country give H1B for residency and waiver jobs in path are more like an urban legends due to devastating job market.
Depends on what you want to do in life, practice what’s already known or change the practice for a better future. If research is what motivates you , then there is no substitute for pathology. There are still no targeted therapies for many diseases (like covid, late stage cancer, autism, pancreatitis, neurological diseases etc) and clinicians can only do conservative management and say “pray to god”. Research and pathology is the way to go for the future...Depends on competency, diligence, perseverance and talent also, not everyone can do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, I matched into a H1b visa program this year!

Lol, I matched into a H1b visa program this year!
Most of the H1b programs in pathology are usually low tier desperate trash..i hope you didnt match to one of those. Congrats!

Reactions: 2 users
Most of the H1b programs in pathology are usually low tier desperate trash..i hope you didnt match to one of those. Congrats!
No it’s one of the top programs, not worth sharing with you considering your language.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
No it’s one of the top programs, not worth sharing with you considering your language.
hm if you read my comment I said 'I hope that you didn't match to one of the crappy ones' , NOT that every single program that offers H1b is crappy... and you know how I know? Because i interviewed in a few of these crappy H1b programs myself... Maybe that says something about me as a candidate, maybe not...;) So who am I to judge... I only speak from my personal, in person experience during interviews and beyond.

After all, we would all be so very f****** impressed by a “top” program. Try medical director of your own hospital ( not worth sharing with you) for a “top program”. What a load of academic bs.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user