2021-2022 Interviews: virtual or in-person?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radsisrad

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question as above. I brought up a similar question a bit less than a year ago. I floated the idea that lots of programs might go for virtual interviews, and though there were some doubters, interviews appear to have been entirely virtual this year. What are your residency/med school programs saying about tentative plans for this coming season, whether for residency or fellowships?

Members don't see this ad.

Question as above. I brought up a similar question a bit less than a year ago. I floated the idea that lots of programs might go for virtual interviews, and though there were some doubters, interviews appear to have been entirely virtual this year. What are your residency/med school programs saying about tentative plans for this coming season, whether for residency or fellowships?
TBD

We are still waiting on what AAMC says about aways which are more immediate... likely next week regarding that

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Class of 22 better be hoping prelims are virtual. That should never go back to in person.

Reactions: 8 users
I’m an optimist, but I think things will go back to in-person when applicants are able to present proof of COVID-19 vaccination status.

Virtual options will likely be offered but no one will do them out of fear of not being perceived as interested.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m an optimist, but I think things will go back to in-person when applicants are able to present proof of COVID-19 vaccination status.

Virtual options will likely be offered but no one will do them out of fear of not being perceived as interested.
First, the efficacy of vaccines is 95%...what about the other 5%? can you be an asymptomatic carrier despite vaccines? How about the mutant versions of virus? Do we really know the vaccines really work and how long? Studies are still on going...So how do we know who is and is not?
As medical students, any optional event most of the time is taken as requirement...especially something as high risk as residency interviews. No one wants to risk retaliation.

First, the efficacy of vaccines is 95%...what about the other 5%? can you be an asymptomatic carrier despite vaccines? How about the mutant versions of virus? Do we really know the vaccines really work and how long? Studies are still on going...So how do we know who is and is not?
As medical students, any optional event most of the time is taken as requirement...especially something as high risk as residency interviews. No one wants to risk retaliation.
We don’t have all the answers. I’d bank on the 95% immunity personally. Just my perspective.

Reactions: 3 users

The trouble with this is that the expectation that people fly in may be considered (rightly or wrongly) as unfair to those who are at higher risk when using mass transit. (Not to mention the higher costs of flights when things really open up.)

Not enough surveillance is being done in the community for mutant strains and vaccine-resistant strains. Not enough people IN THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY are being vaccinated, and certainly there's the huge issue of vaccine distribution to the general population in a timely manner. I won't be surprised if the 21-22 interview season is virtual as well and if students are likewise advised to limit the amount of aways/auditions they do this fall.

We don’t have all the answers. I’d bank on the 95% immunity personally. Just my perspective.
The one thing I learn from this whole process is: the world does not evolve around med students. We bend over for them...so 95% among med students is not enough to put everyone else at risk.

I don't understand why interviews cannot simply be virtual from this point onwards (covid or no covid).

Virtual interviews saves both the applicants AND programs money (don't have to take applicants to dinner the night before, don't have to feed applicants breakfast, coffee or lunch on day of interviews, don't have to print out physical copies of interviewee materials etc). Some of the virtual tours/information sessions I attended have been amazing and highlighted all of the important aspects of the program, the hospital and the surrounding area. I suspect this will continue to improve in the upcoming years as programs learn from one another.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I don't understand why interviews cannot simply be virtual from this point onwards (covid or no covid).

Virtual interviews saves both the applicants AND programs money (don't have to take applicants to dinner the night before, don't have to feed applicants breakfast, coffee or lunch on day of interviews, don't have to print out physical copies of interviewee materials etc). Some of the virtual tours/information sessions I attended have been amazing and highlighted all of the important aspects of the program, the hospital and the surrounding area. I suspect this will continue to improve in the upcoming years as programs learn from one anothe
I did 20 interviews...2 were very transparent residents are happy...2 are not...16 are questionable. All 20 said they have collegial culture.

• Haha

Virtual interviews saves both the applicants AND programs money (don't have to take applicants to dinner the night before, don't have to feed applicants breakfast, coffee or lunch on day of interviews, don't have to print out physical copies of interviewee materials etc). Some of the virtual tours/information sessions I attended have been amazing and highlighted all of the important aspects of the program, the hospital and the surrounding area. I suspect this will continue to improve in the upcoming years as programs learn from one another.
I suspect all virtual interviews will lead to more programs going unfilled. I’m curious to see how many programs have to fill spots with the SOAP this year, since students are not turning down interview invitations.

I was speaking with someone on an interview board for a family med program that historically fills half its seats with US IMG/IMG residents, and this cycle they haven’t interviewed a single person that wasn’t MD/DO with a 230+ Step 1 score. In the past, those people wouldn’t spend the money to interview at this program, but this year is different.

n=1

Members don't see this ad :)
I suspect all virtual interviews will lead to more programs going unfilled. I’m curious to see how many programs have to fill spots with the SOAP this year, since students are not turning down interview invitations.

I was speaking with someone on an interview board for a family med program that historically fills half its seats with US IMG/IMG residents, and this cycle they haven’t interviewed a single person that wasn’t MD/DO with a 230+ Step 1 score. In the past, those people wouldn’t spend the money to interview at this program, but this year is different.

n=1
I agree. No need to discuss this now...we will know more on March...😢

I did 20 interviews...2 were very transparent residents are happy...2 are not...16 are questionable. All 20 said they have collegial culture.

This could be solved by having unmonitored meet and greet where residents are open and honest about their workload and culture.

Often times, residents will leave their contact information (cell phone number, personal email), which is another good avenue to get the inside scoop.

n=1
There are no easy solutions here. I like Dr. Bryan Carmody's suggestion of implementing an application cap.

TBD

We are still waiting on what AAMC says about aways which are more immediate... likely next week regarding that
COPA released a statement yesterday saying people should only be allowed to do 1 away

Anyone have any thoughts? Especially if things do actually go back to "normal" by end of summer?

We'll hear shortly. Doubt anyone has accurate information on it yet.

My prediction will be things back to in-person, but if it was up to me, I would advocate for virtual interviews for everyone with optional open house/second looks in person and off the books without PD/aPD (i.e. residents/chiefs only) presence.

We'll hear shortly. Doubt anyone has accurate information on it yet.

My prediction will be things back to in-person, but if it was up to me, I would advocate for virtual interviews for everyone with optional open house/second looks in person and off the books without PD/aPD (i.e. residents/chiefs only) presence.
The problem is it likely wouldn't be truly "optional". It would be a rat race where everyone would feel the need to come in order to improve their rank chances.

The problem is it likely wouldn't be truly "optional". It would be a rat race where everyone would feel the need to come in order to improve their rank chances.

I would advocate for (mandated) virtual interviews for everyone with optional open house/second looks in person and off the books without PD/aPD (i.e. residents/chiefs only) presence. If students really think that showing up to a chief-led second look will improve their chances, that's on their neuroticism.

• Dislike
I would advocate for (mandated) virtual interviews for everyone with optional open house/second looks in person and off the books without PD/aPD (i.e. residents/chiefs only) presence.
When residents are involved in making the rank list, it still wouldn't be very "optional".

When residents are involved in making the rank list, it still wouldn't be very "optional".

Residents are hardly involved in making of the rank list at many places outside of perhaps reporting atypical behavior at an applicant dinner. I suppose if residents are involved at other places, those places would have to make it a program coordinator or someone else leading the show. The point is the second look should be led by someone who knows the information and can give a tour/answer logistical questions, but not be involved in the rank process. There could also be separate residents (interns) who are not involved in the rank process that applicants can ask questions to.

As you can tell, I would really love for virtual interviews to continue. For pre-lim positions, I hope this is automatic. This extra travel is hardly justified. These video conferencing platforms were hardly harnessed to their full potential. In previous cycles, applicant dinners were at bars with loud noise and a lot was said. I heard many didn't feel comfortable asking residents questions in this new zoom format. There are anonymous methods on these platforms that could be designed to ask questions. Programs coordinators should also get off the zoom calls at socials altogether and part of the paper work we sign before virtual interviews should include a section on how a program certifies that residents or whoever is at the social has no bearing on residency selection and how they are not being supervised remotely by anyone else just like they make us promise to not share elements of the interview with anyone.

Even after that, there are still a good amount of people who want to travel to a place and they should be given that opportunity but it should be made strictly optional (and not tacitly mandatory) by eliminating incentives to signal interest.

Last edited:
God I hope its in person, I feel like I thrive much better in person

If they stick with virtual interviews, then ERAS needs to cap the number of interviews you can attend so the same issue with interview hoarding doesn't occur again. I'm not sure to what extent it was an issue this cycle, but there's lots of anecdotal evidence it existed....I suppose the true extent to which it occurred will be revealed in a couple of weeks after the match data is published.

On one hand I wanna save 10K. On the other I wanna know exactly where I'm going the next 4 years
In my mind the money is already spent lol. I've been saving loan money for the past 4 years just to have 10k lying around for interviews.

I'm a midwest dude though so catch me doing insane 12 hours drives because "if you include security and arriving before departure time its only 4 hours slower than flying"

If they stick with virtual interviews, then ERAS needs to cap the number of interviews you can attend so the same issue with interview hoarding doesn't occur again. I'm not sure to what extent it was an issue this cycle, but there's lots of anecdotal evidence it existed....I suppose the true extent to which it occurred will be revealed in a couple of weeks after the match data is published.
Ive heard plenty of people say it existed and did not exist, i'm morbidly very curious to see what happens monday.

The other thing to consider is it would be nice to know before we decide on loan disbursement amounts. Something I hope PDs will take into account before deciding October 1 whether they will do in person or virtual interviews.

The other thing to consider is it would be nice to know before we decide on loan disbursement amounts. Something I hope PDs will take into account before deciding October 1 whether they will do in person or virtual interviews.
I just take everything out every year. throw anything that is left in a high interest savings account. saved about 20K due to interest being cancelled due to covid which is dope.

Lots of advice/ideas in this thread coming from very privileged positions.

• Dislike
  • Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
Bumping this thread to see if anyone knows anything new

The country is slowly increasing vaccination rates, CDC is dropping the mask requirement, President Biden wants the country fully open by July 4th, NFL stadiums to be at 100% capacity in the fall, and residency/fellowship interviews to be 100% virtual? Hmmm. Seems a bit off....

The country is slowly increasing vaccination rates, CDC is dropping the mask requirement, President Biden wants the country fully open by July 4th, NFL stadiums to be at 100% capacity in the fall, and residency/fellowship interviews to be 100% virtual? Hmmm. Seems a bit off....
Literally makes NO sense at this point.....

I think they should stay virtual because it's just a better option TBH.

I think they should stay virtual because it's just a better option TBH.
Not when you're a person who's personality says more about you than your paper application. Can't pass the 3am test (are you someone I could tolerate at 3am) virtually IMO

Not when you're a person who's personality says more about you than your paper application. Can't pass the 3am test (are you someone I could tolerate at 3am) virtually IMO
1. The in-person interview doesn't discriminate for someone I wouldn't want to be up at 3am with either IMO. The pre-COVID interview itself is usually in the late morning-afternoon after being spoilt with free food, drinks, a cozy hotel, etc. the night before with no other work/engagements for that day. These are hardly times that try men's souls.

2. I am not sure about all fields but in most fields the interviews are conversational. Most interviewees just need to not stand out, but put forth an upbeat/positive demeanor. Interviews (in person or virtual) can help those who need to stand out, but can hurt others. You may have one small challenge question like why this person said XYZ in your Dean's Letter if the interviewer's trying to nitpick and if that's not available to them, they may ask 1-2 behavioral questions...but that's about it.

---

I went through the in-person and virtual residency interview format (n=30+ interviews, equally distributed on two app cycles within 3 years of each other). I even had 3 interviews in common the first time and second time around and matched at one of those places. One of those places (academic IM midtier place) actually had a similar slide deck to the one I had the last time and the "endearing amazing PD" didn't seem as charming the second time around when all his jokes/mannerisms were repeated. Here is what I can say with my experience.

In-Person:

Pros:
-Sometimes a hotel is paid for and you get to bond with some applicants at the hotel/dinner.
-Excuse for time off a rotation in medical school.
-Excuse to visit a new city.
-Happy hour is in person and residents are willing to answer questions about programs while certain that no program coordinators are in close vicinity.

Cons:
-$$$ (ALOT)
-It eats up 2 days.

Virtual:

Pros:
-Ability to go on more interviews and flexibility after. After the interview you literally take off your suit and go to the gym or go back to what you were doing beforehand.
-Faculty are more available for the interview since it's literally at their desk and requires very little coordination.
-Zoom rooms do offer a chance for a lot more time with the residents.

Cons:
-You do not get to see the facilities up close. That said, many interviews offered virtual tours and I think that the facilities they show you during an inperson interview are always their shiniest compared to what you get when you go there.
-You miss happy hour. Residents still gave out plenty of dirt on programs though.

If you think the pros for in-person and cons for virtual outweigh the ability to apply to more programs and save a couple thousand dollars, I guess that's great but I think it's not worth the price. Everyone dresses up to put on a show for interviews but at the end of the day, you pick one place and go there and every place has its pros/cons. We've been doing this for undergrad, medical school, residency, and some do it for fellowship. I think it's getting getting old and we need to fix the system and think COVID gifted us with the necessity to try this and I think most are realizing non-inferior results.

Please do not conflate my point with the notion that applicants during the COVID cycle has an easier time. What applicants have had to deal with this year with cancellation of Step 2 CS, aways, uncertainty was unprecedented. That's it's own separate thing. I obviously think aways need to come back. If they don't, then I am totally on board with @MedScat 's point above how it doesn't make sense to have these restrictions.

-----------
Speaking with points above, I am still wondering if we are going to learn what one of the posters above meant by "privileged" posters in this thread for discussing virtual vs. in-person interviews? That post has been quoted 3 times in 2 months without an answer while the OP of that post has been posting actively since.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My fellowship is never going back to in person interviews. It is unnecessary. We have already committed to that as a program. N = 1

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
That's so hard to tell in an interview that lasts a day + pre-interview social. It's easy for the vast majority of people to hide a ****ty personality for less than 1 day at a time. Hence why aways are often rated as most important.

That's so hard to tell in an interview that lasts a day + pre-interview social. It's easy for the vast majority of people to hide a ****ty personality for less than 1 day at a time. Hence why aways are often rated as most important.
I haven't seen anyone saying this or seen it in NRMP data but I completely agree. If an institution has away data on you, that becomes the most important factor. If I were a PD, I would throw board scores out the window (assuming they passed) when assessing that candidate and focus on the away performance.

I haven't seen anyone saying this or seen it in NRMP data but I completely agree. If an institution has away data on you, that becomes the most important factor. If I were a PD, I would throw board scores out the window (assuming they passed) when assessing that candidate and focus on the away performance.

I mean, it's in the data...