***2021-2022 MD/PhD Waitlist Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD-PhD-NonTrad

M2 MD/PhD, In Clerkships
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess we are going to need one of these threads eventually…

University of Colorado Pre-Interview alternate list

DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!
1) click quote on the most recent list
2) delete the " " tags on the top and bottom
3) add your user name, (Interview invite date, Acceptance date, any other pertinent info, and if needed, add the school name to the list)
4) Enter the name(s) of the school(s) where you are adding data into the "Title" box (at the top) so that your changes can be easily located.
5) Enter Submit

Legend:
I: Interview date
W: Waitlist Date
H: Hold Date
WD: Withdraw Date

University of Colorado: 2021-2022-Nontrad (W: 9/28, I: TBD)

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Strange email today, but also University of Colorado Pre-Interview alternate list / "on hold"

3) add your user name, (Interview invite date, Acceptance date, any other pertinent info, and if needed, add the school name to the list)
4) Enter the name(s) of the school(s) where you are adding data into the "Title" box (at the top) so that your changes can be easily located.
5) Enter Submit

Legend:

University of Colorado: 2021-2022-Nontrad (W: 9/28, I: TBD), toofastdan (C: 8/1, W: 9/28)

Last edited:
I guess we are going to need one of these threads eventually…

University of Colorado Pre-Interview alternate list

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

University of Colorado: 2021-2022-Nontrad (W: 9/28, I: TBD)
Completion date?

Members don't see this ad :)
Completion date?
Edited to a new format of completion date, waitlist date. (C: 8/1, W: 9/28)

If people get interviews before waitlist, maybe they could add that in there - eg (C: 8/1, II: 10/15, W: 12/8)

Completion date?
Here, better format.

5) Enter Submit

Legend:
C: Complete date

University of Colorado: 2021-2022-Nontrad (C: 8/5, W: 9/28, I: TBD), toofastdan (C: 8/1, W: 9/28, II: TBD)

Same

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

University of Colorado: 2021-2022-Nontrad (C: 8/5, W: 9/28, I: TBD), toofastdan (C: 8/1, W: 9/28, II: TBD), skeeter11 (C: 8/8, W: 9/28, II: TBD)

Really weird. It doesn't look like Colorado has sent out pre-interview waitlists in the past. What might be the advantage of this vs just sitting on apps until later in the cycle? Especially since they've likely reviewed 25%> apps at this point (a random guess based on C date and considering CASPER delays)

Really weird. It doesn't look like Colorado has sent out pre-interview waitlists in the past. What might be the advantage of this vs just sitting on apps until later in the cycle? Especially since they've likely reviewed 25%> apps at this point (a random guess based on C date and considering CASPER delays)
Anecdotally, I know of a few individuals who have received Colorado IIs with no reporting. However, I am interested to know if it is CASPer related.

Arizona a while ago

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

University of Arizona (Tuscon): HarterLux7480 (C: 07/14, W: 08/06, I: TBD)

University of Colorado: 2021-2022-Nontrad (C: 8/5, W: 9/28, I: TBD), toofastdan (C: 8/1, W: 9/28, II: TBD), skeeter11 (C: 8/8, W: 9/28, II: TBD)

maybe we can do this like in the rejections thread

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

I am seeing a lot more schools do weird stuff this year. Such as - pre-interview waiting list, and a "pre-interview interview" (I am thinking of you Galveston).

My thoughts (no data to back up these thoughts, just random neurons firing in my head) -

Many schools had a not-so-good experience with Covid last year. They tried to keep things the same, while going virtual. Many schools did not fare so well. So I think these interview changes are their way of making the process more efficient. In many cases, a Zoom interview does not allow the interviewer to get that "human x-factor" during the interview. Personally, I can "read" a person quite rapidly when in person. I can very quickly tell if they are BS'ing, or exaggerating or trying to hide something, or if they are sincere in their answers. Since this is quite difficult via Zoom, many schools may have decided not to spend the time on those students they would have normally interviewed hoping the person was better than the package. In such cases, the live interview would have been a game changer. But since it is Zoom, they will not waste their time.

Many students look great on paper, but cannot hold a 2 minute conversation or are unable to speak proper English. So the rationale for the "pre interview interview" might be to make sure the person is able to speak English (I don't mean having an accent, I am referring to not being able to string together a coherent sentence). Such 5 minute Pre-interview phone calls will eliminate the need to fully interview the student, only to realize it was a huge waste of their time.

What do you guys think? Any other rationale for such changes this interview cycle?

What do you guys think? Any other rationale for such changes this interview cycle?
I think potentially another factor at least at a large fraction of schools who use it may be the adoption of tools or algorithms such as CASPer into the pre-interview decision making. Over the last n years, perhaps enough data has been collected to lend credence to its use.

I could imagine a bottom half CASPer result may not inherently be sufficient to justify a rejection of the rest of the application looks great, but good perhaps be utilized as a screening tool for the “maybe” pile.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I am aware, CASPer is NOT used by MD/PhD admission committees. However, it has been embraced by several MD schools, which indirectly might limit some applicants from being acceptance/invited by their MD/PhD programs.... My school requires it but we haven't rejected even one applicant based upon a CASPer's score or changed/altered offers of invitations due to this score.

Reactions: 5 users
Adding my name to the Colorado Pre-I Waitlist. That really was a rather perplexing email.

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

University of Colorado: 2021-2022-Nontrad (C: 8/5, W: 9/28, I: TBD), toofastdan (C: 8/1, W: 9/28, II: TBD), skeeter11 (C: 8/8, W: 9/28, II: TBD), Peritus_Medicus (C: 7/28, W: 9/28, II: TBD)

Post-Interview:

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

University of Colorado: 2021-2022-Nontrad (C: 8/5, W: 9/28, I: TBD), toofastdan (C: 8/1, W: 9/28, II: TBD), skeeter11 (C: 8/8, W: 9/28, II: TBD), Peritus_Medicus (C: 7/28, W: 9/28, II: TBD)

Post-Interview:
Emory: dangoi1 (II: 9/24, W: 10/17)

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Bummed! +1 Pre-II Alt List @Colorado

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

University of Colorado: 2021-2022-Nontrad (C: 8/5, W: 9/28, I: TBD), toofastdan (C: 8/1, W: 9/28, II: TBD), skeeter11 (C: 8/8, W: 9/28, II: TBD), Peritus_Medicus (C: 7/28, W: 9/28, II: TBD), microbezzzz (C: 8/31, W: 10/18, II: TBD)

Post-Interview:

• Care
Northwestern

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

University of Colorado: 2021-2022-Nontrad (C: 8/5, W: 9/28, I: TBD), toofastdan (C: 8/1, W: 9/28, II: TBD), skeeter11 (C: 8/8, W: 9/28, II: TBD), Peritus_Medicus (C: 7/28, W: 9/28, II: TBD), microbezzzz (C: 8/31, W: 10/18, II: TBD)

Post-Interview:

Northwestern: toofastdan (II: 9/22, W: 10/22)

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Colorado update: alternate -> II

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

University of Colorado: 2021-2022-Nontrad (C: 8/5, W: 9/28, I: TBD), toofastdan (C: 8/1, W: 9/28, II: TBD), skeeter11 (C: 8/8, W: 9/28, II: TBD), Peritus_Medicus (C: 7/28, W: 9/28, II: TBD), microbezzzz (C: 8/31, W: 10/18, II: 11/1)

Post-Interview:

Colorado update: alternate -> II

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

University of Colorado: 2021-2022-Nontrad (C: 8/5, W: 9/28, I: TBD), toofastdan (C: 8/1, W: 9/28, II: TBD), skeeter11 (C: 8/8, W: 9/28, II: TBD), Peritus_Medicus (C: 7/28, W: 9/28, II: TBD), microbezzzz (C: 8/31, W: 10/18, II: 11/1)

Post-Interview:

How interesting to do an alternate to II in the span of a week and a half. Congrats!!

How interesting to do an alternate to II in the span of a week and a half. Congrats!!
Agreed. They still have 5/7 interview dates available so It seems like they have a majority of their slots remaining. Still raises the question of why they had an alternate list so early anyways but I’m not complaining at this point haha.

Mayo Pre-II Hold

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Mayo: mdphd63627 (C: 8/1, W: 11/2, I: TBD)

Post-Interview:

Drexel Pre-II hold =/

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Drexel University: mudfud26 (C: 9/19 H: 11/11)

Post-Interview:

Last edited:
Pitt post-interview waitlist from today and University of Washington pre-interview hold from a while ago. Sad because I thought the Pitt interview went really well and I waited forever for their response. Oh well, good luck everyone!

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

University of Washington: aliceinscienceland (C: 8/20, H: 9/7)

Post-Interview:

University of Pittsburgh: aliceinscienceland (I: 9/13, W: 11/12)

• Care
Adding a couple

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

Emory: dangoi1 (II: 9/24, W: 10/17), larynxlady (I: 9/23, W: 10/17)

University of Wisconsin-Madison: larynxlady (I: 11/17, W: 12/8)

Last edited:
  • Care
UC Irvine alternative list on a Friday night. To zot or not to zot - that is the question

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

UC Irvine: toofastdan (I: 11/15, W: 12/10)

• Care
To zot or not to zot - that is the question
Whether it’s nobler in the cycle to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous waitlists, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and in withdrawing end them? To wait….to have hope. No more; and by a hope to say we end The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks That the cycle is heir to, 'tis an acceptance. Devoutly to be wish'd. To wait, to have hope. To hope perchance to have silence; ay, there’s the rub, for in that silence of death what rejections may come.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
University of Arizona - Phoenix
16 interviewees for 1 spot omg

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

University of Arizona - Phoenix: ikauga (I:11/23, W: 12/13)

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
OHSU. I was put on hold one month ago on 11/16/2021. I did not receive an email or call for this change in application status and instead found out by logging into my application portal today.

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

Northwestern: toofastdan (I: 9/22, W: 10/22)

Oregon Health & Science University: toofastdan (I: 10/25, W: 11/16)

Last edited:
  • Care
Thomas Jefferson University post-I !

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

Oregon Health & Science University: toofastdan (I: 10/25, W: 11/16)

Thomas Jefferson University: falarm (I: 11/2, W: 12/20)

Last edited:
  • Care
OHSU on the 10th, crossing my fingers and toes for the A here!!

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

Oregon Health & Science University: toofastdan (I: 10/25, W: 11/16), dem0225 (I:11/16, W: 12/10)

Thomas Jefferson University: falarm (I: 11/2, W: 12/20)

• Care
Thomas Jefferson University high priority wait list

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

Oregon Health & Science University: toofastdan (I: 10/25, W: 11/16), dem0225 (I:11/16, W: 12/10)

Thomas Jefferson University: falarm (I: 11/2, W: 12/20), chips0807 (I: 11/30, W: 12/18)

UCI from a while back

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

Thomas Jefferson University: falarm (I: 11/2, W: 12/20), chips0807 (I: 11/30, W: 12/18)

UC Irvine: toofastdan (I: 11/15, W: 12/10), swagyolo (I: 10/18, W: 12/2)

Colorado

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

University of Colorado: larynxlady (I: 12/1, W: 12/21)

SUNY Upstate HPA

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

SUNY Upstate: falarm (I: 10/1x, W: 1/6)

• Care
Penn State

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

Pennsylvania State: nyni (I: 10/x. W: 1/10)

• Care
Colorado
5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

University of Colorado: larynxlady (I: 12/1, W: 12/21), Eastern1003 (I: 12/1, W: 12/21)

• Care
Sinai
5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

Mount Sinai Icahn School of Medicine: NeuroImmunoMSTP (I: 11/8-9, W: 1/21)

University of Colorado: larynxlady (I: 12/1, W: 12/21), Eastern1003 (I: 12/1, W: 12/21)

• Care
Texas A&M
5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

Texas A&M: VaultArmitage(I: 08/X, W: 1/20)

• Care
Rutgers RWJMS “alternate list” with no foreseen movement until spring. At least they didn’t hate me!
5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson: mudfud26 (I: 1/14, W: 1/21)

• Care
Mayo.
my only two II's into WL's. ouch, prepping for a reapp..

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

Mayo: ikauga (Arizona, I: 1/13-1/14, W: 1/21)

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
I wasn't able to log into SDN for the past few weeks, so I wasn't able to update this in real time. This new SDN webpage style looks really bad...

I'm adding two "on holds" to the list. Vanderbilt and University of Washington.

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

University of Washington: toofastdan (I: 1/6, W: 1/10)

Vanderbilt: toofastdan (I: 10/7, W: 1/7)

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Case Western from 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure how to approach all these waitlists.

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

Case Western: toofastdan (I: 12/1, W: 1/14)

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Mayo

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

Mayo: ikauga (Arizona, I: 1/13-1/14, W: 1/21), larynxlady (Arizona, I: 1/13-1/14, W: 1/21)

• Care
Updating with two waitlists post-interview (Pitt and Colorado)

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

Mayo: ikauga (Arizona, I: 1/13-1/14, W: 1/21), larynxlady (Arizona, I: 1/13-1/14, W: 1/21)

University of Colorado: larynxlady (I: 12/1, W: 12/21), Eastern1003 (I: 12/1, W: 12/21), TokyoDrifter (I: 12/X, W: 1/X)

University of Pittsburgh: aliceinscienceland (I: 9/13, W: 11/12), TokyoDrifter (I: 11/X, W: 1/X)

• Care
Einstein waitlist post-interview

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

Albert Einstein College of Medicine: dyingpremed (I: 10/11-12, W: 2/3)

University of Colorado: larynxlady (I: 12/1, W: 12/21), Eastern1003 (I: 12/1, W: 12/21), TokyoDrifter (I: 12/X, W: 1/X)

University of Pittsburgh: aliceinscienceland (I: 9/13, W: 11/12), TokyoDrifter (I: 11/X, W: 1/X)

• Care
Officially double WL at WVU. The country roads are taking me to West Virginia, just not that university.

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

West Virginia University: mudfud26 (I: 12/13-14, W: 2/2)

• Care
Deleting Colorado, WL turned into an A!

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Post-Interview:

University of Colorado: Eastern1003 (I: 12/1, W: 12/21), TokyoDrifter (I: 12/X, W: 1/X)

• Love
Off the Mayo waitlist for the interview, but declined

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Mayo: mdphd63627 (C: 8/1, W: 11/2, I: 2/7/)

Post-Interview:

University of Colorado: Eastern1003 (I: 12/1, W: 12/21), TokyoDrifter (I: 12/X, W: 1/X)

Waitlisted at Rutgers RWJ, and Temple. Double waitlisted at Mayo

5) Enter Submit

Legend:

Pre-Interview:

Mayo: mdphd63627 (C: 8/1, W: 11/2, I: 2/7/), AverageMDPhD (Minnesota, C: 10/11, W: 11/2)

Post-Interview:

Mayo: ikauga (Arizona, I: 1/13-1/14, W: 1/21), larynxlady (Arizona, I: 1/13-1/14, W: 1/21), AverageMDPhD (Minnesota, I: 1/20-21, W: 1/26)

Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson: mudfud26 (I: 1/14, W: 1/21), AverageMDPhD (I: 12/13, W: 12/21)

Temple University (I: 12/9, W: 1/29)