2021 EM Changes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nynydoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any physiatrists here comment on these changes and documentation?

I generally have been billing level 4 visits for medication management and if recommending injections. This includes image review, documentation reviews etc and these are all documented. Straight forward rehab visits are level 3 sometimes 2.

I wanted to know how some of you have been billing and possibly changing your practice with the new changes taking effect.

Members don't see this ad.

Overall, I’m similar to you current billing, except I don’t recall ever billing a -02. We just had a meeting with our billers, and it actually seems to be easier to bill a -04 with the new rules. More weight is in medical decision making and you don’t need to document irrelevant ROS and exam to get to a -04. However, billing for time is a bit less favorable in the new system.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like the same topic is happening on the pain threads but I definitely agree with you.
Head over to some primary forums and they are arguing over 3 vs up billing to 4. They easily see more chronic conditions to justify a 4.

I’m so happy to stop documenting unnecessary family history review of systems (that can sometimes be used against us for litigations) etc and focus on AP- imaging reviewed, meds, interventions. Hopefully it will streamline clinic so much for us.

Reactions: 2 users