2021 EM ITE Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulgasman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got scores back not too long ago, but my program did not provide us with any data in regards to highs, lows, and averages this year.

For a PGY-1, what is considered a good score? >90% chance to pass ABEM? >99%?

What is considered an above average/good percentile score - >50 percentile? >75 percentile? I assume anything over 50 is solid considering everyone in the competiting pool is a med school graduate and had decent enough scores/SLOEs to match.

If we rocked it, is the expectation to still do even better next year or hover around the same score?

average scores were given for each section and if I did the math correctly, scores were unusually low this year. Average is a 68.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Got scores back not too long ago, but my program did not provide us with any data in regards to highs, lows, and averages this year.

What is considered an above average/good percentile score - >50 percentile? >75 percentile? I assume anything over 50 is solid considering everyone in the competiting pool is a med school graduate and had decent enough scores/SLOEs to match.

If we rocked it, is the expectation to still even do better next year or hover around the same score?

It’s been a bit, but I think the score report usually includes average by year and a standard deviation, though I think I recall I had to google foo my way to this info. Averages for pgy1 were around 70, mid 70s pgy2, and around 80 pgy3. I think 80 was the “likely to pass” range score for it. The standard deviation was around 4 pts or so, but it’s not a normal distribution.

Honestly though, I think it’s a pretty worthless exam for any “real doctoring” purpose

If we rocked it, is the expectation to still even do better next year or hover around the same score?

>99 percentile to land a job.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am pretty sure equivalence to passing is a 75 or 76 raw score. Ideally you improve every year. But really doesn’t matter as long as you pass the real deal.

65/70/75 would be the minimum score I'd want to hit. Not goal score, but I wouldn't want to shoot below those without potentially being at risk. Those numbers will put you at about an 85-90% chance of passing the board. Again, not ideal. But I wouldn't want to be below those IMO because below those your chances start to drop pretty precipitously.

This year the mean/median for 3-year programs were:
70/70
77/76
80/79

Those mean/medians put you at about a 95% chance of passing the board for their respective year.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 4 users
Dont do what I did and put minimal effort into oral boards( if they still have it?).

That day went pretty poorly, pretty sure I barreeeellly passed.

65/70/75 would be the minimum score I'd want to hit. Not goal score, but I wouldn't want to shoot below those without potentially being at risk. Those numbers will put you at about an 85-90% chance of passing the board. Again, not ideal. But I wouldn't want to be below those IMO because below those your chances start to drop pretty precipitously.

70/70
77/76
80/79

Those mean/medians put you at about a 95% chance of passing the board for their respective year.

Hope that helps!
Do you know what the standard deviation was for 2021 for PGY1? Our program wants us to hit a certain percentile as compared to our year so I was just curious!

The importance of this can be gauged by the fact that I don't even remember what ITE is. The inservice exam?

Reactions: 1 user
Do you know what the standard deviation was for 2021 for PGY1? Our program wants us to hit a certain percentile as compared to our year so I was just curious!

Sorry, just saw this. Below is the Mean/Median and Standard Deviation from 2021 for all 3 year EM programs

PGY1: 70/70, 7.1
PGY2: 77/76, 7.3
PGY3: 80/79, 6.9

Members don't see this ad :)

If we rocked it, is the expectation to still do even better next year or hover around the same score?

average scores were given for each section and if I did the math correctly, scores were unusually low this year. Average is a 68.

Over 90 or you’re expelled I think. I will say if you score well everyone is happy. Honestly most of the exam is just typical ER knowledge

Do you guys not get these stats on your score report?

The program does but each individual resident is unlikely to see the entire report since it contains the entire residencies scores. Id imagine most programs just give each resident their part of the scores.

The program does but each individual resident is unlikely to see the entire report since it contains the entire residencies scores. Id imagine most programs just give each resident their part of the scores.
Interesting. In every test I’ve ever taken I’ve gotten a “here is your score, here is how it compares to your year and other years on the whole”

Does anyone else's residency designated expectations and punishments? If we don't hit >75 PGY2+ we have to do an additional q bank, additional weekly review lectures before weekly conference, don't get to moonlight/ACEP, and it even mentions "attend a mandatory board review course.."

Which.. being so close to the median and having a decent rate of passing, it seems a bit aggressive..
Plus that doesn't even factor in dedicated board study time, and is much different than "studying" for ITE while you are dying on inpatient rotations... and trudging through the existential dread of residency.

Does anyone else's residency designated expectations and punishments? If we don't hit >75 PGY2+ we have to do an additional q bank, additional weekly review lectures before weekly conference, don't get to moonlight/ACEP, and it even mentions "attend a mandatory board review course.."

Which.. being so close to the median and having a decent rate of passing, it seems a bit aggressive..
Plus that doesn't even factor in dedicated board study time, and is much different than "studying" for ITE while you are dying on inpatient rotations... and trudging through the existential dread of residency.

I went to a cord forum on this once and it was pretty universal that the vast majority had some remediation policy based on scores. They allowed everyone to volunteer what their programs cutoffs were and they varied widely. Ours is below the 10th percentile, which Ill admit is probably too low, IDK that I heard of any lower than that. Some were ridiculously too high (ie below the mean/median).

That's insane.

Sounds like something that would come from an HCA sweatshop so they stay open.

That's insane.

Sounds like something that would come from an HCA sweatshop so they stay open.

I was mentally checked out of this thread until I saw your name under the "last post" slot.
I clicked, and was not disappointed.

• Haha

70/70
77/76
80/79

Hope that helps!
Any chance you have these results for 2023 ITE?