2022 DAT Breakdown (16AA -> 17AA -> 22AA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RefreshingGingerAle

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Long time lurker here and first time poster - hope ya'll don't mind. After spending the last couple of years reading various DAT breakdowns, I am now ready to share my own with you all! In this post, I am going to share some of my personal experiences in preparing for the DAT. I will provide an overview of my experiences preparing for each DAT and, towards the end, I will break down my preparations for each section.

To help keep my post organized, I will focus primarily on my DAT preparations rather than writing a comprehensive review of everything that I did as a pre-dental student. My breakdown is by no means a “master plan” for earning your desired score and I acknowledge that my preparations are not applicable for everyone. With that being said, I hope that you may find my perspective helpful! Feel free to comment if you have any questions.

Scores (1st DAT/ 2nd DAT/ 3rd DAT):

PAT: 17 / 22 / 19

QR: 17 / 18 / 23

RC: 21 / 22 / 23

BIO: 15 / 16 / 22

GC: 16 / 14 / 21

OC: 13 / 15 / 20

TS: 15 / 15 / 21

AA: 16 / 17 / 22

Primary Resources:

1st DAT: Anki and DAT Bootcamp

2nd DAT: Anki, DAT Bootcamp, CrackDAT

3rd DAT: Anki, DAT Booster, DAT Bootcamp

Studying Timeline:

1st DAT: ~2 months

2nd DAT: ~2.5 months

3rd DAT: ~6.5 months

First DAT:
When I began preparing for my first DAT, I didn’t have a very good understanding of what I needed to do to prepare for the DAT. Of the different breakdowns I read at the time, I noticed two reoccurring themes: Anki and DAT Bootcamp’s recommended schedules. DAT Bootcamp’s schedule provided a clear outline for learning DAT content and their pre-made Anki decks seemed like a great way to retain that information. Although I had never used Anki before, I quickly began utilizing it and learning more about the program as I went.

After some time of studying 4-6 hours a day for about 6 days a week, I scheduled my DAT and submitted dental school applications; I still had a lot to learn but, at that point in time, I thought that I could maintain the same momentum that I already had going. In hindsight, I should have waited to schedule my DAT and submit applications. Shortly after scheduling the DAT and submitting applications, I found myself struggling to keep up with the Bootcamp schedule that I was using (I don’t remember which exact one). I continued with my preparations but eventually found myself “going through the motions” of the schedule without taking the time to commit the material to memory. This happened to coincide with me beginning a summer program, as well as one of my loved ones becoming ill and eventually passing away. Maintaining my focus became increasingly difficult at that time and the time that followed. I later stopped using the Bootcamp schedule and continued my preparations without clear organization. With my DAT and the beginning of the fall semester both approaching, I began focusing my studies on topics that I felt weak on – which there were lots of. And once I took my DAT, my scores reflected this.

Second DAT:

Although my first DAT didn’t go as I had hoped, I spent the following year refining my study habits in my undergraduate courses and overall reflecting on how I could improve. I continued using Anki during this time and, as I became more familiar with the program, I learned how I could better apply it during my second DAT attempt. DAT Bootcamp was a very helpful resource and, with the lessons that I had since learned, I opted to use it for the majority of my preparations the second time around. I studied their Anki cards extensively, made many of my own Anki cards, and also began using their practice tests much more than during my first attempt. I did not use Bootcamp’s schedules during this second attempt, but I aimed on studying the various topics in the order that they appeared, rather than studying at random like before.

In addition to DAT Bootcamp, I began using CrackDAT – primarily for organic chemistry and biology. DAT Bootcamp is a great resource but, at that time, I preferred the organic chemistry videos available on CrackDAT. Similarly, although I preferred DAT Bootcamp for learning biology, I preferred CrackDAT for practicing biology. These were just my personal preferences at that point in my preparations – I do not claim that one resource is better than the other. Between these resources, I estimate that I studied an average of 5-8 hours per day – also for about 6 days a week.

Lastly, I participated in a different summer program than during the previous summer. I continued preparing for the DAT during this time, but I also dedicated a significant amount of time towards studying content that wasn’t strictly DAT-related. The end result of all of that is that I significantly improved how I study. I began taking better notes, making more effective Anki cards, and – possibly most importantly – began believing in my capabilities as a student. Once the program concluded, I took a quick breather before tackling my DAT prep again – but this time with my new studying techniques. Even though my second DAT scores were much lower than I expected, with the exceptions of PAT and RC, I attribute this to not taking as much time as I needed to prepare myself. I had dedicated a lot of time towards preparing for the DAT but, for me personally, I still needed more time.

Third DAT:

To preface this, I felt exhausted by the time I was ready to begin studying for my third DAT attempt. I had been studying nearly continuously (DAT + summer programs + undergraduate classes) since my first DAT attempt, ~2 years earlier, and I worried that I wouldn’t be able to achieve competitive scores. With this in mind, I decided not to schedule my DAT until I felt reasonably prepared.

The first step that I made in my preparations was to identify my weaknesses – things that I needed to learn, things that I needed to revisit, and things that I needed to practice. This time around, I began my preparations using DAT Booster. Although I considered reusing CrackDAT, I decided to try DAT Booster for two main reasons:

• DAT Booster’s GC/OC recording are taught by Professor Dave – whose free YouTube videos had already helped me a lot during undergrad
  • DAT Booster’s BIO is based on Ferali’s notes - which have been recommended by many students for years
Having recently completed my undergraduate degree, I began studying for the DAT ~8-12 hours a day (with scattered breaks) for around 6.5 months. I acknowledge that having this much time to dedicate towards DAT prep is a tremendous opportunity and that not everyone has the option of doing so. Generally, I would wake up at 5 AM and then study from 6AM until around 5PM. I focused predominantly on OC and BIO at first and, months later, began prepping for the other subjects. My studying techniques for each section are as follows:

Biology (151622):

I used the Booster Bio Anki deck nearly exclusively for this section. Booster’s Bio Anki deck is essentially everything in the Feralis-Booster notes, but in flashcard form. This Anki deck was a great resource because it meant that I could jump straight into studying – I didn’t have to plan out how I would organize my flash card decks, decide how to format each card, and so forth. I supplemented these flash cards by adding extra information (eg: diagrams, charts, memes, etc.) to help remember certain details. Additionally, I set the Anki deck to “show cards in order added,” so that I could follow the corresponding chapter along as I studied the flashcards. Changing this setting was helpful for me because I was using Anki to learn the material rather than only reinforce it; however, if you are using Anki to reinforce topics, you may prefer keeping its original setting as “show cards in random order.”

In addition to adding additional information to certain cards, I created a separate deck for cards that I wanted to see more often. Generally, these cards were over details that I felt were high-yield or over details that I frequently answered incorrectly. I set the “maximum interval” for this deck to 21 days – meaning that a card could go a maximum of 21 days before I reviewed it (provided that I did all my cards). Although changing this setting impacts Anki’s spaced-repetition model, I did so because I was concerned about forgetting a card and not seeing it again before my real DAT. It is still possible to forget a card with a max 21-day interval but I felt that it was less likely than, for example, forgetting a card that wouldn’t show up again for 3+ months. Additionally, after using the flashcards for a few weeks, I changed this deck’s “interval modifier.” The “interval modifier” is a bit tricky to explain but it’s essentially a setting helps you achieve a certain retention rate – say answering 95 cards out of 100 correctly.

During the final month before my real DAT, I focused mostly on completing practice tests and reviewing them. For this, I used a mixture of DAT Bootcamp and DAT Booster – both of which are excellent resources. Many people say that the real DAT focuses on “breadth over depth,” unlike DAT Bootcamp and DAT Booster. While I agree with this sentiment, I think that it says more about Booster/Bootcamp’s difficulty than the real DAT. In my opinion, the DAT is very difficult; it only feels easier than Booster/Bootcamp because both resources try to prepare you for anything and everything. In my opinion, this is a good thing.

Organic Chemistry (131520):

OC was by far my weakest section and, consequently, the section that I put the most time in. I tackled this section mostly through 2 methods: I practiced OC mechanisms using Anki and I took thorough notes over DAT Booster’s OC videos.

To prepare my OC mechanism deck, I went through both Bootcamp’s and Booster’s mechanism sheets. I made image occlusions for every included reaction and then I separated them by reaction type. Afterwards, I suspended all of the cards – I only unsuspended them after I had reviewed their corresponding lecture videos. Like with the BIO deck, I also added supplemental information as needed. To utilize this deck, I would write out whatever detail was hidden. If a card showed a reaction for Oxymercuration-Demercuration, for example, I would physically write out the reaction name. Likewise, if a card asked for the mechanism of Oxymercuration-Demercuration, I would physically write out the entire mechanism. If I got one detail wrong, I would redo the whole card. As you can imagine, this was very time consuming. But I feel that combining these repetitions with my lecture notes (described below) was very beneficial.

I made my own notes based off of DAT Booster’s OC videos. Although Booster (and Bootcamp) both provide pre-made summaries, they did not go into as much detail as I needed. More specifically, I couldn’t rely on the summaries for learning and practicing the various topics; I needed an “expanded” resource. Although DAT Bootcamp is an excellent resource, I found Bootcamp’s OC videos a bit tough to follow along during the learning stage. In contrast, I felt that Professor Dave’s videos on DAT Booster were easier to digest. I liked that the material was presented in a PowerPoint format, rather than on a whiteboard, and I also liked that the slides weren’t overly crowded with content. To get an idea of what I mean, consider looking up one of Professor Dave’s free OC videos on YouTube. The Booster videos are formatted similarly, albeit tailored for DAT content.

When I made my notes, I took notes over every single word, phrase, arrow pushing, etc. included in the videos. If I didn’t understand something, I repeated the section and/or consulted Booster support until I did. The end result of this is that a ~1hr chapter sometimes took me 4-5 hours to prepare good notes over. Your mileage may vary; this is just what I felt I needed to do. Notably, I didn’t make very many Anki cards over the notes for each video. Although I was initially concerned about retaining all of this information, it gradually begin “clicking” as I went through my mechanism Anki cards and the Booster/Bootcamp practice questions.

To summarize my OC preparations, I feel that Booster and Bootcamp both have great OC content available. I cannot recommend one resource over the other for OC – I think that it just boils down to your individual preference.

General Chemistry (161421):

I began preparing for this section a bit late, mostly because I had spent so much time preparing for OC and BIO. Despite my low GC scores on my 1st and 2nd DATs, I felt fairly familiar with many of the GC concepts covered. In my opinion, the biggest mistake that I made in preparing for GC, on my 1st and 2nd DATs, was not going through enough practice problems; I dedicated so much of my GC prep towards understanding concepts and formulas that I overlooked applying them. With this lesson fresh in my mind, I decided that I would incorporate much more practice problems during my 3rdtime preparing for the DAT.

Unlike OC, I relied mainly on DAT Bootcamp’s GC videos. This was due to time constraints; I had already prepared lots of notes over DAT Bootcamp’s GC videos, during my 1st and 2nd DATs, and I could not justify recreating them with DAT Booster. However, as Professor Dave’s free videos helped me a lot during undergrad, including in GC, I am confident that his Booster GC videos are also good resources. As far as practice questions go, I personally preferred DAT Bootcamp’s questions. Both resources’ GC materials are very helpful and similar, so I feel that this is also just a matter of preference. The only thing I wish to note is that I noticed lots of DAT Booster questions required extensive calculations and simplifications. In contrast, many DAT Bootcamp questions were left unsimplified. Strengthening these skills is very important, especially since the DAT may or may not simplify their answer choices. However, I personally felt that the math required on Booster’s GC problems was a bit over the top. As a reminder, this is just my personal observation/opinion.

Reading Comprehension (21→22→23):

Reading comprehension has always been one of my stronger areas in school. My main challenge with this section was time management. Booster/Bootcamp both have a variety of techniques for this section but, after trying each one thoroughly, I preferred using a vanilla-style approach. Specifically, I would skim the passage in its entirety before reviewing the questions. I did not utilize passage mapping during my DATs. Instead, after skimming the passage and reading the question, I would jump around until I found the corresponding section. This approach is not for everyone but I found that it helped me manage my time more effectively. I feel that Booster and Bootcamp are about equal for this section.

PAT (17→22→19):

My biggest recommendations for this section are to practice as much as possible, skip to the subsections that you feel strongest in, and keep a close eye on the timer. When preparing for my 1st DAT, I understood what I needed to do for each section, but I hadn’t dedicated enough time towards practicing it. When preparing for my 2nd DAT, I practiced all parts of this section thoroughly beforehand. And in doing so, it began to click for me. Prior to this practice, for example, I understood what TFE was about but I had a tough time visualizing the missing side. After some practice, TFE became one of my stronger PAT areas. I would have liked for my 3rd PAT score to have been higher but I believe this is because I did not practice it enough during my most recent DAT.

I prepared for the PAT mostly using DAT Bootcamp’s resources, though I did not utilize Booster’s PAT resources very much. Although I am more familiar with Bootcamp’s PAT content than Booster’s, I believe that Booster’s PAT content comes from PATBooster – another resource that’s been popular for years. As such, I am confident that DAT Booster’s PAT resources are also high quality.

QR (17→18→23):

As with the other sections, I believe that the biggest improvement I made came from doing more practice problems. I did not watch Booster or Bootcamp’s QR lecture videos but I felt that both resources had very well-rounded practice questions and explanations. In particular, I liked that both resources incorporated a good mix of problems on their practice tests – they didn’t stack certain types of problems. I utilized both of these resources about equally and made sure that I understood the work rather than memorizing correct answers. To make sure that I understood the different problems, I wrote out every step for a given problem – even if it was something I felt I could solve. And, like with my OC Anki deck, I would rewrite everything if I missed even one detail.

Summary:

Overall, my biggest recommendation is that you learn which studying methods work best for you. If you already have a routine that works for you, then great! If not, consider trying out some of the methods that other students share (or make your own). No matter what you decide, keep an open mind and remember that the DAT is only a piece of your application.

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 12.12.32 PM.png

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, are you interested in discussing the study techniques that you used. I did similar with my first two attempts and feel defeated. Can you let me know if you have time to help discuss study tips?

Hello, are you interested in discussing the study techniques that you used. I did similar with my first two attempts and feel defeated. Can you let me know if you have time to help discuss study tips?
Of course! I apologize for the delayed response.

Personally, I incorporated Anki into every part of my studying (except PAT and RC). For GC/OC, I would first learn the material using Booster/Bootcamp's videos, make my own notes over the videos, and afterwards I would prepare cards. My rationale for this is that I wanted to make sure I understood the material instead of memorizing facts. Booster/Bootcamp's pre-made notes are helpful but I preferred making my own for these sections.

For QR, I pretty much made Anki cards the same was as for GC/OC. The only significant difference is that I also included various practice problems. And when those practice problems would show up in Anki, I would write out the entire problem - even if I thought I knew how to solve it already. If I got even one part of my work wrong, I would redo the entire card. This was time consuming but it helped me identify my weaknesses and solve problems (rather than memorizing the answers).

For BIO, I used Booster's pre-made Anki deck. I supplemented these cards with screenshots from Booster's BIO notes (PDF), diagrams from Google, memes, etc. I think that Booster's pre-made deck is great if you're looking to review material. But because I was using it to learn and review material, I went a bit over the top while supplementing the cards.

For RC, I unfortunately don't have too many tips. English is my first language and I have always done well with "reading comprehension" style questions, from childhood to now. With that being said, I recommend placing special attention on inference questions. I missed quite a few RC questions (on practice tests) because I initially treated the questions as a debate; I would choose my answer based on what I thought I could make a strong argument for, rather than what had the most support in the passage. This sounds a bit strange but, when you review, I promise that there will be answers you disagree with even after reading the provided explanations.