2022 NHSC Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kokonaut

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw a similar thread in the pre-dental forum and figured why not start one here too. The NHSC scholarship application for 2022 is now open (think it opened yesterday). Figured we can make this a place for questions, support, and would love to hear the sage advice of others who have been through the process.

As someone mainly interested in primary care, the program ticks the boxes for me. If anyone would like to share their perspective or questions then have at it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Applying for the NHSC scholarship was the best decision I made in medical school.

Glad to hear! I'll be an incoming MS1 so I know it is a ways off, but could you share about the process of working at one of the NHSC sites?

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to hear! I'll be an incoming MS1 so I know it is a ways off, but could you share about the process of working at one of the NHSC sites?
I would love to, but I'm afraid that my experience was spectacularly unique. I would dox myself if I shared very much.
I can say that my experiences while serving are among my most treasured memories.

I would love to, but I'm afraid that my experience was spectacularly unique and I would dox myself if I shared very much.
I can say that my experiences while serving are among my most treasured memories.

Can definitely respect that. You speaking as highly of the program is reassuring. Is there anything you might recommend to set oneself apart as an applicant? I've heard it is pretty competitive. I'm likely going to a school that has a strong primary care program and am most interested in family medicine, not sure if those would factor in.

Hi there! I'm also applying to the NHSC as an incoming OMS1 student. As someone who grew up poor in a medically underserved area giving back to communities like the one I grew up is something I'm very committed to.

I'm curious, how likely is it for an incoming first-year to be awarded this scholarship?

Hi there! I'm also applying to the NHSC as an incoming OMS1 student. As someone who grew up poor in a medically underserved area giving back to communities like the one I grew up is something I'm very committed to.

I'm curious, how likely is it for an incoming first-year to be awarded this scholarship?
Bump. The applicant guide quotes a 10% new approval rate. I'd like to know if 9/10 med student apps are being denied.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Bump. The applicant guide quotes a 10% new approval rate. I'd like to know if 9/10 med student apps are being denied.
The funding for this program was sharply cut back during a particular administration and has never been replaced, I'm sad to say.

The funding for this program was sharply cut back during a particular administration and has never been replaced, I'm sad to say.
So what I'm guessing is that it would be hard as a first-year to actually successfully get this scholarship :(

So what I'm guessing is that it would be hard as a first-year to actually successfully get this scholarship :(

You absolutely should get that form filled out.

According to the criteria, first criteria basically goes to former recipients of the scholarship; however, URM is also a priority for them.

Maybe fingers crossed there might be some willingness with the current administration to extend some additional funding. That might be wishful thinking though.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to hear back if my application says "Under Review"?

Applying for the NHSC scholarship was the best decision I made in medical school.
How long did it take you to hear back after submitting your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all! Has anyone received a credit check? I haven't gotten a notification and I'm worried my app was thrown out.

Hey y'all! Has anyone received a credit check? I haven't gotten a notification and I'm worried my app was thrown out.
Hey there! I did get a credit check in late June.

Hope this doesn't mean bad things for your app, good luck!

anyone receive an update recently? I didn't get a credit check yet, does it mean chances for me are extremely low now?

Did anyone else just get an email asking to accept or deny a reward?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone else just get an email asking to accept or deny a reward?
I just did! Does this mean we were selected? The wording in the email is very vague, and my status on the portal says "finalist for award." Can anyone shed light on this?

Just signed the contract and accepted the award, under final review now!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Just signed the contract and accepted the award, under final review now!

Same! The wording is cautiously optimistic. I'm curious whether that means ensuring everything is accurate or moving onto a pool of finalists, some of whom will be awarded and some of whom will not.

• Love
If you haven't gotten a finalist email, do they ever change your status to "denied" before Sept? Mine still says Under Review, and no email. Is this what everyone's says until the cycle is closed?

Also under final review. Not exactly sure what that means or if i should be excited yet or not. But congratulations to everyone for making it this far.

Has anyone gotten countersigned yet? I went on several other forums and some dental and PAs have started to get countersigned.

Congrats to all - also got countersigned by the big man. Anyone get any email from them with additional information? I think they mentioned a presentation or something not too long after being awarded.

Idk if anyone else is in this situation, but I have a signed contract by Jamie King as of yesterday morning, but on the portal home page it still says "Under Final Review." I only know that my contract has been signed because I opened it and saw the signature with the timestamp. I'm just a little confused by this...

I received my countersignature on 9/7, still no email or update to website. Hopefully after the system update everything will be switched. 🤞

Still no counter signature or portal change. Should I be worried?