2022 Personal Statement(s) Readers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnsmith123

Oregon State c/o 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen one of these created for C/O 2022 yet, so I figured I would put this up. The thread format from previous years seems to work fairly well so I will be keeping that. 2021 Personal Statement Readers!

For those who are not aware, there are 3 short answer questions in place of the personal statement this year. Each has a character limit of 1000.

1. There are many career choices within the veterinary profession. What are your future career goals and why?
2. In what ways do veterinarians contribute to society and what do you hope to contribute?
3. Considering the breadth of society we serve as veterinarians today; what attributes do you believe are essential to be successful within the veterinary profession? Of these attributes, which do you possess and how have you demonstrated these in the past?

DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!
1) Click "quote" on the most recent post.
2) Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc) under the "current readers" section. DO NOT post your email address.
3) Delete the quote tags at both the top and the bottom.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list.

Example:
Username | Vet student | focus on grammar/readability/content/etc | any other pertinent info

CURRENT READERS

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
2) Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc) under the "current readers" section. DO NOT post your email address.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list.

Example:
Username | Vet student | focus on grammar/readability/content/etc | any other pertinent info

CURRENT READERS
Cdoconn
| Vet student Class of 2021| Willing to work on whatever you need (content, ideas, grammar, vocabulary, staying towards the prompt, etc). I don't sugarcoat things, but most of my criticism will be constructive. I had several SDNers read my PS last year and I do think it was pertinent to my acceptance. Excited to pass it on to future classes!

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Cdoconn
| Vet student Class of 2021| Willing to work on whatever you need (content, ideas, grammar, vocabulary, staying towards the prompt, etc). I don't sugarcoat things, but most of my criticism will be constructive. I had several SDNers read my PS last year and I do think it was pertinent to my acceptance. Excited to pass it on to future classes
mht2k3 | Vet student Class of 2021 | focus on content/ideas/readability | I read a bunch of personal statements last year and also had a bunch of people from here read mine and thought it was really valuable. I think I give pretty good constructive criticism and mostly will be geared towards telling you what works and/or whats missing rather than reading for grammar/structure/etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Cdoconn
| Vet student Class of 2021| Willing to work on whatever you need (content, ideas, grammar, vocabulary, staying towards the prompt, etc). I don't sugarcoat things, but most of my criticism will be constructive. I had several SDNers read my PS last year and I do think it was pertinent to my acceptance. Excited to pass it on to future classes
mht2k3 | Vet student Class of 2021 | focus on content/ideas/readability | I read a bunch of personal statements last year and also had a bunch of people from here read mine and thought it was really valuable. I think I give pretty good constructive criticism and mostly will be geared towards telling you what works and/or whats missing rather than reading for grammar/structure/etc.
Coopah | Vet student Class of 2021 | Willing to work with whatever you need | I've read several personal statements last year and this year. I am available to bounce ideas off of and my feedback is very honest. I won't sugar coat anything and will tell you my honest feedback about everything. I will help answer any questions you have and will work with you to develop your story in such a small character limit.

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Cdoconn
Coopah | Vet student Class of 2021 | Willing to work with whatever you need | I've read several personal statements last year and this year. I am available to bounce ideas off of and my feedback is very honest. I won't sugar coat anything and will tell you my honest feedback about everything. I will help answer any questions you have and will work with you to develop your story in such a small character limit
Emmy Senpai | Vet student Class of 2021 | I will focus on anything you need, ways to stand out when writing, etc. | I am not on SDN often but I get e-mails for private messages so I will be notified whenever you need help. When I wrote my personal statement, I read many examples online and I feel that my unique twist to answering the prompt questions made me stand out during the application process. I will try my best to answer any questions you have and give honest feedback!

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Cdoconn
Coopah | Vet student Class of 2021 | Willing to work with whatever you need | I've read several personal statements last year and this year. I am available to bounce ideas off of and my feedback is very honest. I won't sugar coat anything and will tell you my honest feedback about everything. I will help answer any questions you have and will work with you to develop your story in such a small character limit
Emmy Senpai | Vet student Class of 2021 | I will focus on anything you need, ways to stand out when writing, etc. | I am not on SDN often but I get e-mails for private messages so I will be notified whenever you need help. When I wrote my personal statement, I read many examples online and I feel that my unique twist to answering the prompt questions made me stand out during the application process. I will try my best to answer any questions you have and give honest feedback!
Spike907 | Vet student Class of 2020 | What ever you need! | I read a few personal statements last year and loved helping everyone out! I am thorough and will give you honest feedback. I think my own personal statement was the major reason I stood out and a big part of why I was admitted. I am happy to help you craft the story you want to tell!

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Cdoconn
Spike907 | Vet student Class of 2020 | What ever you need! | I read a few personal statements last year and loved helping everyone out! I am thorough and will give you honest feedback. I think my own personal statement was the major reason I stood out and a big part of why I was admitted. I am happy to help you craft the story you want to tell!
Finnickthedog| Vet student Class of 2021 | I can help with whatever you're trying to focus on. I'm pretty good at getting word counts down. I do have limited time currently so I may be a bit slower to give you feedback but will do my best.

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Cdoconn
Finnickthedog| Vet student Class of 2021 | I can help with whatever you're trying to focus on. I'm pretty good at getting word counts down. I do have limited time currently so I may be a bit slower to give you feedback but will do my best.

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Cdoconn
LyraGardenia | Vet student Class of 2020 | I can help with spelling, grammar, word choice, sentence structure, etc. If you don't know where to start, I'm not the best person to ask, but I'm willing to help with fine tuning!

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Cdoconn
LyraGardenia | Vet student Class of 2020 | I can help with spelling, grammar, word choice, sentence structure, etc. If you don't know where to start, I'm not the best person to ask, but I'm willing to help with fine tuning![/QUOTE]
RedWall | Vet student c/o 2020 | Happy to help with anything you need help with

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Cdoconn
LyraGardenia | Vet student Class of 2020 | I can help with spelling, grammar, word choice, sentence structure, etc. If you don't know where to start, I'm not the best person to ask, but I'm willing to help with fine tuning!
serher | vet student c/o 2021 | I can help with whatever you need--grammar, word count, flow, etc. Just let me know what you would like me to focus on!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Cdoconn
serher | vet student c/o 2021 | I can help with whatever you need--grammar, word count, flow, etc. Just let me know what you would like me to focus on!
Prevetmed | Vet student c/o 2021 | I can help with anything. Storytelling (ones that grab people's attention) is what I am good at. I can also help with grammar, punctuation, or anything else you need!
cowgirl92 | Vet student c/o 2021 | I would love to help with any part of your statements | I have lots of newspaper writing experience, including being a managing editor, so just let me know what you would like help with. I'd love to pay forward some of the help I got last year.

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Cdoconn
Prevetmed | Vet student c/o 2021 | I can help with anything. Storytelling (ones that grab people's attention) is what I am good at. I can also help with grammar, punctuation, or anything else you need!
cowgirl92 | Vet student c/o 2021 | I would love to help with any part of your statements | I have lots of newspaper writing experience, including being a managing editor, so just let me know what you would like help with. I'd love to pay forward some of the help I got last year.
SandstormDVM | Second year vet student, c/o 2020 | Due to working multiple jobs, I don't have a huge amount of time to read statements and give very detailed criticism as I did last year, so I am probably not the person to ask if you are still at square one. That said, I am more than happy to act as a final proofreader and scan over things for spelling, grammar, and general flow if you need it.
PippyPony | Admitted student c/o 2021 | Happy to take a look at grammar/readability/content/whatever you would like help with. | I'm a non-trad who used to coach new hires, so I've helped people with this sort of thing in the past; 6 on the GRE writing portion (and thus hopefully won't screw you too much with my internet grammar). I'm not always the most responsive to PMs, though, so feel free to bug me if you reach out and I don't get back to you quickly.

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Cdoconn
SandstormDVM | Second year vet student, c/o 2020 | Due to working multiple jobs, I don't have a huge amount of time to read statements and give very detailed criticism as I did last year, so I am probably not the person to ask if you are still at square one. That said, I am more than happy to act as a final proofreader and scan over things for spelling, grammar, and general flow if you need it.
PippyPony | Admitted student c/o 2021 | Happy to take a look at grammar/readability/content/whatever you would like help with. | I'm a non-trad who used to coach new hires, so I've helped people with this sort of thing in the past; 6 on the GRE writing portion (and thus hopefully won't screw you too much with my internet grammar). I'm not always the most responsive to PMs, though, so feel free to bug me if you reach out and I don't get back to you quickly.
officialood | Vet studeng c/o 2020 |Willing to help with whatever you need help with :)

*edited*
So my essays aren't *quite* ready to send out, but I just have some general questions.
I have two divergent career interests, going into companion animal practice, and working on global food security (like livestock health in the developing world). For one, I'm really struggling with fitting both of these things in given the character limits of these essays, so I'm wondering if its better to just pick one of these to discuss? And two, for the how do you want to contribute to society question, I know that veterinarians can do grand things like advance research, direct policymakers, impact food health and food security etc...but if I'm talking about my small animal practice career goals, these are more oriented towards like the patient-pet-doctor relationship rather than something more big picture. Is that going to be a problem? I'm worried that that's not compelling enough...

Last edited:
*edited*
So my essays aren't *quite* ready to send out, but I just have some general questions.
I have two divergent career interests, going into companion animal practice, and working on global food security (like livestock health in the developing world). For one, I'm really struggling with fitting both of these things in given the character limits of these essays, so I'm wondering if its better to just pick one of these to discuss? And two, for the how do you want to contribute to society question, I know that veterinarians can do grand things like advance research, direct policymakers, impact food health and food security etc...but if I'm talking about my small animal practice career goals, these are more oriented towards like the patient-pet-doctor relationship rather than something more big picture. Is that going to be a problem? I'm worried that that's not compelling enough...
Is there one you're more interested in than the other? If so, I'd pick the one you're most interested in if you can't fit both in the character limit. If you can't decide, maybe focus on whichever one you have more to say about, and then throw in a sentence like "However, I could also see myself going into _____ because ____." It's hard to say without seeing what you've got so far and where you're at character-wise.

As for your second question, I think that's just fine to talk about more modest ways of contributing to society. Obviously not everyone is going to go into government or public health and actually change the world, but there are still contributions that GPs can make (client education, helping with community events, etc.). I think that's part of the point of that question, to show that you know vets can have broad impacts, but also that GPs are still important to their clients and community, and you have goals beyond "I want to help animals!"

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Cdoconn
officialood | Vet studeng c/o 2020 |Willing to help with whatever you need help with :)

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Cdoconn
officialood | Vet student c/o 2020 |Willing to help with whatever you need help with :)
Lucy410 | Vet student c/o 2021 | I'm willing to help with whatever you need, but since I have limited time it would be best if you already have a draft or at least some fleshed out ideas. I am a nontraditional student and my previous career was in admissions (at the graduate level but not at a veterinary school) so I have experience looking at essays and I enjoy helping applicants.

Hey c/o 22 hopefuls!!

Oh man, I've had a busy day of PS reading. (5 down, 2 to go). I'm not wanting to cause a mass exodus to my PMs, but I'm not gonna be reading PS's after my move back to school! So y'all have until about August 2nd to PM me them if you want me to read them.

Additionally, I would keep in mind that 65% of the reader list are c/o 21's, and the other 35% are c/o 20's. My first round of exams start September 8th (and they don't seem to ever stop) and I'm sure everyone else's is very similar. It'll be rather difficult to find someone able to read the PS come September 15th when the application is due! So I'd send it to us early if you want feedback!

Last edited:
Hey c/o 22 hopefuls!!

Oh man, I've had a busy day of PS reading. (5 down, 2 to go). I'm not wanting to cause a mass exodus to my PMs, but I'm not gonna be reading PS's after my move back to school! So y'all have until about August 2nd to PM me them if you want me to read them.

Additionally, I would keep in mind that 65% of the reader list are c/o 21's, and the other 35% are c/o 22's. My first round of exams start September 8th (and they don't seem to ever stop) and I'm sure everyone else's is very similar. It'll be rather difficult to find someone able to read the PS come September 15th when the application is due! So I'd send it to us early if you want feedback!
Pssst I think you mean the other 35% are c/o 20. ;)

I think I speak for all of the current second years when I say...

636107825318257069-622584408_tumblr_inline_n6kq34lHrj1sohk3w.gif
That gif makes me very happy for some reason.

Oops. My brain went 21, 22. yep that's what I meant

Actually we're making all c/o 20's reapply and repeat VM1. Repeat the entire last 2 years of your life. That sounds like fun, yes?
tenor.gif

Man idk if it's the academic masochist in me, but nothing gets me pumped for the new school year like the year above me telling me how terrible it was for them. :laugh:

db325bbbc55a6ba62459247bf33426f4.gif
I'd rather go through first year again than apply again at least, but I don't particularly want to experience immunology again. Or physiology. Or anatomy...

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Cdoconn
officialood | Vet student c/o 2020 |Willing to help with whatever you need help with :)
Lucy410 | Vet student c/o 2021 | I'm willing to help with whatever you need, but since I have limited time it would be best if you already have a draft or at least some fleshed out ideas. I am a nontraditional student and my previous career was in admissions (at the graduate level but not at a veterinary school) so I have experience looking at essays and I enjoy helping applicants.

Update---
Hey everyone! I had to delete my name from the list because I have been getting too many responses to be able to write back to anyone after today.

To those of you who are currently applying who have emailed me up until today: don't worry, I will respond to all of you with my edits. I just don't have the time right now to take on any more people, I'm sorry! I hope everyone new understands and there are lots of other students on here who can help!

Thank you!

Hi,
I saw on another thread that one of the experienced folks would be willing to hash out some ideas for the essay Qs. Any volunteers ?

Hi,
I saw on another thread that one of the experienced folks would be willing to hash out some ideas for the essay Qs. Any volunteers ?
Just pick someone on the list and message them! :)

Hey all, I am really busy with work and packing and everything else so I dont think I can look at people's statements. taking myself off the list:

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Cdoconn

Removing my name.

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Cdoconn

A couple people sent me theirs yesterday and I'll get to those today, but I'm going to be pretty busy in August before classes start! Also taking myself off the list.

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Cdoconn

I'm at capacity for how many more I can handle before classes start, so I'm taking myself off the list. Good luck to all the applicants!

(If you have already contacted me and I've agreed to read your PS, don't worry - you're in the queue.)

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Cdoconn

I've decided to not take any more PS requests for the year. If you've already PMed me yours, if I haven't given feedback, I promise it's on the way! If I've already read one draft and you want me to check a second draft, I'm willing to do so as well.

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Emmy Senpai
| Vet student Class of 2021 | I will focus on anything you need, ways to stand out when writing, etc. | I am not on SDN often but I get e-mails for private messages so I will be notified whenever you need help. When I wrote my personal statement, I read many examples online and I feel that my unique twist to answering the prompt questions made me stand out during the application process. I will try my best to answer any questions you have and give honest feedback!

Would anyone on this list be willing to look at supplemental essays?

Since I have been absent from SDN the entire summer and have already started orientation, I am removing myself from this list. Those of you that have messaged me, I will get back to your requests briefly, but I don't have enough time to go through your entire PS in detail. Good luck this cycle!

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Spike907
| Vet student Class of 2020 | What ever you need! | I read a few personal statements last year and loved helping everyone out! I am thorough and will give you honest feedback. I think my own personal statement was the major reason I stood out and a big part of why I was admitted. I am happy to help you craft the story you want to tell!
officialood | Vet student c/o 2020 |Willing to help with whatever you need help with :)[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I have a very busy couple weeks until orientation starts, so I am removing my name from the list. If you have already messaged me, I'll read yours, and if we've already discussed reading more drafts, I'm still happy to do that.

Example:

CURRENT READERS
Spike907
| Vet student Class of 2020 | What ever you need! | I read a few personal statements last year and loved helping everyone out! I am thorough and will give you honest feedback. I think my own personal statement was the major reason I stood out and a big part of why I was admitted. I am happy to help you craft the story you want to tell!