2023 DAT Breakdown (22AA/22TS/17PAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mst0330

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scores:

Biology - 21

General Chemistry - 28

Organic Chemistry - 21

RC - 21

QR - 21

PAT - 17

Background:

Nontraditional student, graduated may 2022. Psychology major 3.85 GPA. Previously premed and scored 503 on MCAT (August 2021).

Materials Used:

1. DATBooster! I truly think it has everything you need and they're always improving and adding new things. It was highly representative and prepares you very well. Biology is VERY representative with some questions similar or same as practice exam. Feralis notes and sheets are great. I personally followed the booster schedule and read feralis notes to get a good base, then focused on cheat sheets and booster quizlet. General chemistry was excellent on Booster. I HIGHLY recommend you read the study notes for each chapter. Orgo is great too, make sure to know reactions, acidity, stability, lab tests and techniques. Booster is ultimately the best resource due to its low price and EXCELLENT study material.
  2. Quizlet - I personally don't like Anki so i used quizlet from booster to memorize information. I think it's important to go be comfortable with your study techniques, so if you don’t like anki don’t be afraid to do something else. I did not rely heavily on quizlet, I used it to initially memorize the information then did practice questions and revisited the topics four to five times. I only used quizlet for biology, everything else I relied on booster practice and notes. If you’re using quizlet, make sure to constantly review material in phase 2 and 3.
  3. Bootcamp Bio Notes - I only used these for a quick refresher on certain topics such as developmental biology and ecology. I only used this in the final 2 weeks. Feralis is great but close to the exam I had to prioritize time so I used those bio notes. They are not too long and tell you what you need.

Study Timeline / How I Studied:

I followed the recommended booster 10 week schedule with minor tweaks of my own. I started light studying in December, then studied 10 weeks. I made my own personal adjustments especially at the end. I targeted my personal weaknesses and drilled information in the last 2 weeks. Do not be afraid to make your own schedule, I just personally like structure and the Booster schedule is easy to follow. During phase 1 of Booster, I began studying at around 10 AM and took breaks and finally stopped studying at around 8 PM. During phase 2, I stopped usually at 5 PM and I never reviewed practice exams the same day I took them. I really recommend doing this as you can take a break, clear your head, and be focused for review and further studying the following day. I made my own quizlet from going over exams, where I’d go over every single question and add terms / concepts I don’t know. I’d make a personal note of topics I need to work on. I printed the organic chemistry reaction packet from Booster and drilled the reactions. Luckily I took organic chemistry II in Fall 2022 so I already knew most reactions. I did the question and reaction banks on orgo and watched videos on reactions I don’t remember like EAS and Radicals. For general chemistry, I relied on the study notes on Booster. I attribute my 28 to the practice exams and notes. I transferred the notes to notability and highlighted and thoroughly went over each topic. For RC, I didn’t study but the method that worked best for me was reading 5-6 paragraphs and answering questions. For QR the practice / formula sheet was enough for me, it’s harder than the real exam but you’ll be prepared.

Day of Exam:

Bio (21): Booster was really representative here with 4-5 questions I’ve seen before. There were a couple questions that threw me off guard and only 1 taxonomy question. I felt the exam mainly focused on genetics, systems, and developmental biology, but every unit was covered. Some questions stumped me but I made an educated guess. The questions are SURFACE LEVEL. There were a few in depth but that’s all. I recommend Feralis, Bootcamp bio notes, and quizlet/anki. I’d make sure to know how to work with dihybrid crosses!

GC (28): I loved this section, it was straightforward with a few harder questions. No math was necessary as it was already set up for me. This question heavily tested concepts such as ideal gas / kinetic molecular theory, the idea that group elements share characteristics, what oxidizing agent really means, etc. They’re testing your knowledge of gen chem with a little math sprinkled in. I did see a question that wanted a classification of a certain element. Tricky because actinides and lanthanides are joined with the rest and my element was in the d block transition metal but also appeared like it was a lanthanide. Be careful! Also, with stoichiometry, if you’re confused you can check with the units cross out / match up.

OC (21): Not a ton of reactions and I can remember them (carboxylic acid + SOCl2, hydroboration of alkene, aldol, what reagent for this reaction). 1 H NMR was tested (1 question), 1 question on IUPAC, 1 question on lab test, specifically bromine test (booster has a sheet, MEMORIZE IT!) Rest were about acidity, stability, hybridization, aromaticity, etc. Booster really helps here pay attention to all hybridization and aromaticity questions on booster. NOTE: my exam had all structures in the format like CH3CH2… make sure you’re comfortable with those.

PAT (17): Don’t ask me anything here I despised PAT. Make sure you’re good on hole punch and cube counting at least. 1 floating cube showed up so know how to do those.

RC (21): I skipped my break after PAT and did this section. I had the adrenaline and mind focus to keep going. Most don’t do this, but I did this for most of my practice.I was really disappointed in this section. I had one really dense passage that was really hard to understand. Recall questions were harder and more critical thinking was needed. I guessed on 10 questions so I’m glad it worked out. All passages were 12-13 paragraphs. My method was reading 5-6 paragraphs and then answering questions. The questions were not chronological for me.

QR (21): Super easy, all questions were straightforward. I was shocked at how simple it was. No geometry, lots of algebra and applied math. Couple really easy probability questions, with 1 coin question really similar to a question I remember on booster. Booster prepares you very well here. I wasn’t sure on 2-3 questions max. Know statistics well and know how to calculate standard deviation / tell set has a greater SD.

Reflection:

Looking at my booster exams, I scored around the same as my highest score. For nearly all sections, I scored about my average. I did not have an increase in every section like many others. I’m extremely happy with my score and I’m glad Booster prepped me very well.

Ending Advice:

I despite standarized testing, feels like torture. Take your time here, have rest days and don’t push too hard. Your hard work will pay off here. You made it this far so you’re extremely capable in acing the DAT. Also if you’re aren't ready, don’t be afraid to push the exam. Better to waste a fee than paying for a retake. You’ll all do great!
Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 9.12.51 PM.png

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG-9359.jpg
    IMG-9359.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 66