2023 DAT Breakdown (August 26th)- RETAKE! - (18 AA/ 19 TS / 21 PAT) -> (23 AA/23 TS/ 25 PAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnelvpvjmom

Reaction score
2023 DAT Breakdown (August 26th)- RETAKE! - (18 AA/ 19 TS / 21 PAT) -> (23 AA/23 TS/ 25 PAT)

Hi everyone! I can’t believe I’m writing this breakdown like everyone else who did great on the test. I have always read so many breakdowns and wondered if I’d be able to do so one day. And here I am! I just took the test yesterday and I’d love to share my experience with everyone(probably too much in detail..). So bear with me everyone.

Scores(2022->2023):

PAT - 21 ->25

QR - 19 ->24

RC - 16 ->21

Biology - 19->22

Gchem - 21-> 26

Ochem- 17-> 24

TS - 19->23

AA -18-> 23

Background: I am a lazy perfectionist and tend to be hard on myself when it comes to studying for tests. I graduated with a Biology degree in May 2022 with a 3.9~ science GPA and took my first DAT last year but I wasn’t happy with my first score(I will attach my scores from 2022 above in case anybody’s wondering) and improved a lot by changing my resources and study methods this year. Hopefully, this breakdown will give you a bit of insight if you are just starting to study, don’t know where to start, or are simply just nervous reading the whole breakdown(like I did).

**In terms of the materials I used, I went for ALL(Booster, Bootcamp, Cliff Bio 3rd edition, Quizlet, DAT destroyer) just because I was desperate to be done with this test. So, I went with the mindset that I only have this ONE SHOT(I kind of regret buying all the resources since I didn’t get to utilize every single thing). I wanted to let everyone know that you DO NOT have to be like me and waste all of your money and time. I recommend going over this breakdown in detail and hopefully, you’ll be wiser than me. I’ll go over more details with each resource below.

Study Timeline: I will share my experience studying for DAT from 2022 and 2023 separately which is VERY DIFFERENT!

(2022)I started studying right after I graduated at the end of May with DAT Bootcamp(this was the only resource I used at that time) for about 8 weeks. I followed Ari’s schedule thoroughly until the two weeks before the test when I started revising and added more practice tests or content reviews on the areas I weakened. I feel like I was very naive at that time and thought just following Ari’s schedule would get me the score I wanted (which was >90~ percentile). What I did was study almost every day but didn’t feel like I was learning or retaining any information, rather it felt like I was checking all the boxes so I could rest for the day. I realized I didn’t study for DAT at the end of the test, I was just studying for the schedule. DO NOT make this mistake everyone. In general, I think the materials(especially bio and organic chem) did not reflect the actual test materials since I was confused during the test the whole time(I do want to mention that I did not study effectively, so I could be on me). I felt like I was not prepared at all except for PAT&QR(the PAT&QR section is similar in that way). Though I tried my best, I didn’t get my dream score. I studied 8-10 hours every day but didn’t do great. The practice tests were unnecessarily harder than the actual DAT which you can say will prepare you well for the test (I should rather say they weren’t resembled) and didn’t prepare me on what to expect on the test. It covers the same topics and concepts but I think it’s critical to know where to put your main focus on. What I mainly did during this time of studying which I think it’s a big mistake, was I tried to memorize EVERYTHING(rather than understand or learn) and didn’t put my focus on the high-yield points. (I can proudly say that I have a pretty good memory because I used to procrastinate the day before the test and do really well on the test during my undergraduate). I believe that DAT is not about simple memorization, you need to develop your skills in learning/understanding materials truly(maybe this is why we need to take this test to get into dental schools).

(2023)I started studying this year around mid-April but I wasn’t really fully studying for like two months until June because I was working full time and 3 other part-time jobs(as you can tell, I like to test myself to see how much I can take on my plate). I HIGHLY recommend dropping everything else other than your studying if you really wish to get this done with one shot like me. I started using DAT Bootcamp first since this was the only resource I used when I first took the test back in 2022(hence, I went through all the videos and practice questions, Question Banks, etc. last year). I got my membership AGAIN but felt like the questions and materials were outdated since I studied a year ago. I even asked the Bootcamp team what kind of changes/updates they made and the answer was ‘AI feature’ which I did not find helpful. I also went through all the videos and practice questions from Chad’s chemistry during this time. I was studying max 3 hours a day before I went to work or in between since I was working full time.

In mid-June, I realized I needed to drop all of my responsibilities to study for this test or else I’m gonna have to take it again(which trust me, you don’t want to go through this ever again, twice was enough for me). Desperately, I quit my job and stopped all of my other side jobs to focus on the test from June to August. This was when I went through all the breakdowns on SDN and got my DAT Booster membership for the first time (which was a lot cheaper than I thought). I also got Cliff’s AP Biology around this time and DAT Destroyer(you can tell how desperate I was..). I went through Cliff’s AP Bio along with DAT Booster(which I found very similar). I started using a 10-week schedule but ended up making my own by filling up my schedule with the weakest subjects. I recommend doing this because the study schedule is very generic and does not necessarily reflect your weaknesses and strengths (You want to focus more on your weaknesses the most). Also, I had an okay experience last year by simply following the pre-made schedule from Bootcamp. Although, I do think it’s a great way to start especially if this is your first time but revise it as you go. For the first 4 weeks, I studied biology, general chemistry, and organic chemistry by going over Feralis notes and Cliff’s AP Biology together but ended up dropping Cliff’s AP Bio since they are pretty much the same materials but Feralis Bio has more details. I read it through 2-3 times and tried to retain information as I was reading by questioning myself or writing down on the whiteboard(‘active-recall’ studying method this time!). I was studying 3-4 hours a day during this period. During the 5-6 weeks of my studying, I went through all the practice tests from Booster and Bootcamp and made quizlets/flashcards to memorize everything. This is how you can tell your weaknesses by testing yourself (Although at this point, I was only using Bootcamp for their practice tests and PAT questions not anything else). In detail, I did all science practice tests on Bootcamp and all the Full-Length tests on Booster. From here, I will be more focused on Booster because I used it for 95% of my studying. To be crystal clear, in the practice tests 1-10 I went through, the questions covered from basic to intermediate levels which was simpler than Bootcamp questions(but rather, focused on the point). I was studying 6-8 hours a day during this period. Two weeks before the test: I went through all the practice tests from Bootcamp and Booster twice at this point but still felt like I was not prepared at all(FYI, it’s completely normal to feel that way. I don’t think you will ever feel like you are 100% prepared especially for the standardized test like this). I was having a hard time focusing as well since my mind was tired of studying. I was also getting very nervous about the test and it certainly was not easy to get motivated especially since I had to start studying all over again(I got out of school a year ago and kind of forgot how to focus/study). During this period, I was studying 8-12 hours a day.

**I signed up for all three Booster Biology Crash courses a couple of days before my test. I know they are expensive courses but TRUST ME it was the best decision I’ve ever made during that period. I was very hesitant to purchase it since I didn’t know if it was worth it. IT IS WORTH EVERY SINGLE PENNY. They give you 3 3-hour intense courses with all the possible materials/concepts that could be on the test. It is a very fast-paced course but you’ll find it very helpful. I can guarantee that I learned 70% more from these Crash Courses than all this time I have been studying by myself with the material DAT Booster provided. It’s not that they will give you a whole other concept rather they tell you where to put your focus on! (Considering how much information the Biology section covers, I think it’s worth your investment). Though this Crash Course says it last 3 hours, it actually lasts 4-5 hours since they give you so many practice questions/90+ Kahoots questions/raffles, AND the extra practice tests(which come with the Crash Courses) 11-15 were VERY reflective with the actual DAT. I don’t even remember how I got through the last week before my test because it was nerve-wracking, but taking these courses definitely eased up my mind. The 3 courses consecutively happened to be right a couple of days before my test and I took the last Crash Course III the day before my DAT (Thanks to everyone who wished me luck if you are reading this!). I didn’t need to review a whole lot because I just took the courses so the information stayed in my memory. Whatever you see/learn, you will remember the next day.

Materials I used(in order of helpfulness):

1. DAT Booster + Crash courses(esp. Bio)- if you have limited time and resources(I’m talking about money), I would highly recommend DAT Booster only. This one and only resource helped me prepare enough for all the subjects. And if you are going go for the Booster,(I cannot emphasize this enough) consider signing up for the Biology Crash Courses(+11-15 practice tests) since it’s worth your investment(I did take any of the general or organic chemistry courses, so I can only speak for Biology courses). Their Bio, general, and organic chemistry practice tests represent the actual DAT very well. Retaking DAT would be more of a waste of time and money I would say. I’m so glad I did.

2. DAT Bootcamp: I want to appreciate all the resources I used since I got such a good score but I only used it for the practice tests(science only) this time. I didn’t watch or utilize any of the materials/practice questions. A decent good prep material but I would not choose it if I were to do it all over again. The resources/questions seemed to be outdated and did not resemble the actual test well. If you want extra practice tests, go for it.

3. Cliff’s AP Biology 3rd edition: I tried to memorize this book during my studying but then I realized it was very similar to Feralis note so choosing this option only would cover the majority of Biology materials. Feralis note has more detailed information on each biology topic.

4. Chad’s Chemistry Videos: Solely used it for the Organic chemistry section and it was very helpful when it came to Ochem videos. He is great at teaching reactions. Highly recommend it if you are not so great at organic chemistry.

5. DAT Destroyer 2023: I bought it for organic/general chemistry sections but never used it. I went through one first 30 questions of organic chemistry and then forgot about it. I felt like the questions were a lot harder than the actual tests which could over-prepare you but I don’t think it’s worth it.

Day of Exam:

(I was discouraged and having negative thoughts since I had a nightmare the day before of me getting AA19 and physically and mentally very tired. Also, studied until very late)

My test was scheduled at 1:00 p.m. (I intentionally did that since I wanted to review more before I went into the test). I tried to memorize everything in Biology the whole morning and kept constantly reviewing the notes from the Crash Courses. (I just couldn’t help myself). I had my subway lunch and headed to the testing center.

Emotionally, I was TOO nervous and was not confident at all as I literally couldn’t breathe(I had to intentionally make myself breathe or else found myself holding my breaths for a long time). I prayed and closed my eyes during the tutorials just hoping for the best.

- Bio(19->22): All the questions were very straightforward. It’s either you know it or not. I was shocked at how similar the questions were with the DAT Booster Crash Courses and the extra 11-15 practice tests. I wouldn’t be surprised if Dr. Sohraby (Feralis Note creator) made these questions. I saw multiple questions that were exactly the same as the practice tests from Booster(very similar). It was usually the case that I was able to eliminate 2-3 answer options and pick the best one. A couple of questions threw me off and I had never seen it before or glimpsed at it, so made the best deductive decision and moved on. But overall, I breezed through the section. One of the Kahoot questions from the Crash courses was on the test in a very similar format as well.

-Gchem(21->26): General chemistry questions were also very similar to the questions from Booster. Calculation questions were so easy that I didn’t even have to use my markers/whiteboards. I got a lot of geometry(tetrahedral, C-N-C bond angle) questions and thermodynamics/thermochemistry. I have to say I worked as a General Chemistry tutor for 2 years during my undergraduate and have always excelled at this subject. I barely studied or invested any time studying for this section, rather I tried to memorize all the periodic trends/acid & base characteristics. Getting the basic concepts down would be critical in this section.

-Ochem(17->24): this was my biggest jump! I was also surprised by how similar the questions were to the Booster practice test questions. I hated Ochem during my undergraduate since I did not get to take any of the lab courses in person(COVID happened). My background in organic chemistry is very weak and I somehow got through all of my undergraduate courses by memorizing everything. My least favorite subject but I utilized Booster and Chad’s video for this section. I tried to draw all the mechanisms and got familiar with the basic concepts like acid and base, stereochemistry, etc. Very straightforward questions.

-PAT(21->25): I think using any resources and practice repetitively would prepare you for this section as the questions were very similar to the practice questions. I found it at around the same difficulty as the practice tests from Bootcamp and Booster. I went through the questions from 31 until the end and went back to the question 1. Focus on your strength here! If you don’t know, you have to mark it and move on. Although, I didn’t know the tutorials would pop on every time I started a new section. I wasted some time trying to solve the tutorial questions since I was very nervous. So, be careful here.

- RC(16->21): English is not my first language and reading is definitely not my favorite thing to do especially academic reading. I always struggled with reading and probably it was the most difficult subject for me. I got a couple of table/graph questions again and long paragraphs (16-17). I do feel like reading it through before you jump into the question only works if you are a fast reader. If you are a slow reader like me, you have to develop your skills. I jumped right into the questions and tried to find the keywords in the paragraph by reading very fast. My eyes were very tired at this time and I couldn’t find the answers to a couple of questions so I had to just use my deductive skills. It’s very important to MOVE ON in this section. This is a mistake I made when I first took RC last year. I felt like I could find the answer if I read just a little more, but no. There are more easy questions at the end and you don’t want to waste your time focusing on one question for 3+ minutes. If you don’t know or can’t find the answer, make the best decision and move on. I mostly used elimination methods which I got rid of all the nonsense answer choices and compared the rest.

-QR(21->24): Math is my favorite subject. The questions were similar to the practice tests(if not even easier). I got multiple comparison questions and a table/graph. Very straightforward. If you don’t love math, I can see the struggles since the questions assume that you know the basic algebra/formula and so on. I mostly spend my time on applied math questions since those take longer to solve. Like the reading section, it’s important to move on and come back if you have time. If you are spending more than 3+ minutes, then it’s a waste. I personally did not really work on this section and just did all the Full-length tests on Booster and memorized the formula/concept from the questions I got wrong.

(TIPS: It could be just my testing center, but they gave me a marker(expo thin one) and an erasable whiteboard paper(I don’t know the name of it). I had an experience taking this test, so I know it’s a pain to wait for the Prometric people to change your eraser(which in my case, was 2 sheets of tissue). So, I wore a black long-sleeved hoodie and used my sleeve as an eraser. Also, it’s okay to reschedule. I rescheduled mine twice. If you don’t feel like you are prepared(at least) or are not getting enough scores on the practice tests, I recommend rescheduling the test. It’s probably worth the money. I set my goal to get a practice test score above 20-22. )

ETC: In case anyone wondering about my practice test scores, I made an Excel sheet with every 1st and 2nd take on my practice tests from Booster and Bootcamp(I only did science subjects on Bootcamp). I do want to say your 2nd take does not reflect your actual score since it’s in your memory. So I would say doing this (taking all of them 2nd time) would be beneficial if you just want to practice more questions.

Ending Advice: When I first saw my score, I couldn’t believe I got that score(which means you will never know how prepared you are). I was in your shoes not too long ago. Even when I went into the testing center, I was ready to retake the test again if I didn’t do it well. I was emotionally, physically, and mentally very tired during this period, but being miserable for 2 months would get you out of this test. So, invest your time and energy! Another advice is that you are gonna have some bad days and good days, but that doesn’t mean you are failing. You have your own pace and the test will always be there. I sometimes overstressed myself during my studying because I felt like it was never enough to finish my studying and felt when I rested. I did not have any fun while studying, so the process was very painful for me, especially since I had to force myself to study again, but I do think it’s supposed to be like this. I truly believe that every bad day, moment, and tears will be proportional to your score. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-27 at 5.02.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-27 at 5.02.49 PM.png
    183 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0C7B4EB2831D-1.jpeg
    IMG_0C7B4EB2831D-1.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_833DCD5068C1-1 2.jpeg
    IMG_833DCD5068C1-1 2.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 64