2023 NIH GP Fair - hybrid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
For all potential MD/PhD applicants,
You should consider signing up for the 2023 NIH GP Fair. This is going to be a hybrid event with in-person meeting at NIH (Bethesda, MD campus) on July 19. Many MD/PhD directors will be in attendance as our National MD/PhD meeting will be happening on July 18. Over the following 2 weeks, there will be several VIRTUAL Zoom opportunities to meet MD/PhD programs from across the nation. This is a time to ask the tougher questions such as MCAT/GPA cut-offs, etc.
Consider registering into this annual event: GP Fair - Office of Intramural Training & Education at the National Institutes of Health
It is highly recommended... In the in-person event, we will also have a MD/PhD symposium.
Best,
Fencer

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for the information! I will be attending the in-person event to network with participating MD/PhD programs! Do you happen to know the dress code for the in-person event? Additionally, would it be appropriate for me to have paper copies of my CV to hand out, or should I use the Whova app to do that?

They will tell you more in the NIH pre-workshop. Business casual is just fine. Bring your resume, place your photo, email, and other identifiers, for example, AMCAS application number, undergrad institution, graduate (i.e.: MS coursework if any); I like to see MCAT and cGPA but not required. The most important information is the description of your research experiences.
You could bring printed copies, and/or a QR code with a pdf file. You could also add stuff in the Whova app.
... minor brake disc tune-up :1geek:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Should people who are only planning to attend online still fill out the registration form?

@Fencer

Should we keep our resume for the fair to a more traditional format which is limited to one page, or in this context, would it be better to list out each of our research experiences and have a longer, multiple page, resume? Also, should we be including other relevant activities that are a part of our AMCAS application, such as clinical and volunteer experience?

Edit: A follow-up question: Should we separate out research experiences by project or by position (eg if we worked on multiple projects in a single position, should we call out each of those projects individually, or should we just give a general description of the position and mention that we worked on various projects?)

Last edited:
For a Fair, the shorter resume is sufficient. This is not an application. A one-page indicating academics and experiences broadly described is enough. Make sure to include your AMCAS ID # if you have a current application.

Do you have any suggestions for participants attending online? Will it be possible to/is it recommended to, offer our resumes virtually?

I hope that the virtual group was able to hear our discussion. For virtual fair, I don't know if you will be able to upload documents.
Only the first few minutes were a little hard to hear! The issue was resolved quickly and I was able to hear the majority of the presentation :)

Reactions: 1 user