2024 NHSC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doggo214

Reaction score
Didn't see a thread for the 2024 NHSC Application, so thought to make one. It is still pretty early, but I heard that NHSC may be vulnerable to little to no funding. Does anyone know if NHSC applications will open up this year at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It says the application will be opening soon on their website!

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like it's open now! "The NHSC Scholarship Program is accepting applications through April 25, 7:30 p.m. ET."

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a former NHSC scholar and LRP participant. Let me know if you have any questions about my experience or the application process!
Hi I was wondering what tips you have to strengthen one's application for NHSC. I heard that the number of spots for NHSC is decreasing but I'm not sure if there's been official news as of yet.
Also I'm assuming you've practiced at a NHSC location. Could you describe what that was like? Any things you particularly liked or disliked? And how did you make the transition to practicing dentistry outside of the NHSC location?

Sorry I have a lot of questions!!

Hi I was wondering what tips you have to strengthen one's application for NHSC. I heard that the number of spots for NHSC is decreasing but I'm not sure if there's been official news as of yet.
Also I'm assuming you've practiced at a NHSC location. Could you describe what that was like? Any things you particularly liked or disliked? And how did you make the transition to practicing dentistry outside of the NHSC location?

Sorry I have a lot of questions!!
I would say emphasize your ties to underserved communities and bulk up your volunteering if you can.

Each NHSC site is completely different. I have experience either rotating through or working at 5 different FQHCs and they were all very different. Some triple book because their main patient base is Medicaid and there is a high no-show rate. Some limit their scope to phase 0 and 1 treatment only. Others are full scope including implants. Some have a great support system within the organization. Others have horrible bosses. Some have multiple dentists working at a location. Others are single provider. It varies so much by state, organization, and even location.

My first actual job was great until my boss left and the person who took his place ruined the working environment. She was the worst boss I’ve ever experienced and literally had me counting the days until I was done with my commitment. My current FQHC has been an absolute dream. I honestly couldn’t ask for a better job. And because of that, I actually don’t have any plans to leave. I finished my scholarship commitment a few years ago and have a few months left on my LRP commitment, but I am staying out unless my family situation puts pressure on me to move or I am able to transition into academia. But my heart is in public health so I have not transitioned to private practice nor do I plan to.

No worries, ask all the questions you want!

I’m a former NHSC scholar and LRP participant. Let me know if you have any questions about my experience or the application process!
Hello! I want to expand on what you believe made you competitive. Do you remember for the LORs if you re-used the ones for your dental school app, or did you ask for new ones? What else do you think makes a competitive applicant? Did you submit your application early?

Hello! I want to expand on what you believe made you competitive. Do you remember for the LORs if you re-used the ones for your dental school app, or did you ask for new ones? What else do you think makes a competitive applicant? Did you submit your application early?
I did not reuse my letters. I had new ones written for the specific purpose of the scholarship application.

I think I was able to stand out because I had a lot of volunteer hours and emphasized my ties to underserved populations/areas. I also expressed my desire to practice in an underserved area beyond the scholarship commitment, which I am honoring.

Strong essays and letters are a large part. I was actually able to get my hands on the scoring rubric for these applications a few years back and essays and letters were the heaviest weighted items, so that is not just my opinion. My opinion is just what I consider strong, which is what I mentioned above.

I do not believe submitting early matters. I submitted mine the day before the deadline.

Is there a character limit for the essay? If there isn't how long should it typically be?

My school told me they cannot complete my "Verification of Disadvantaged Background" form because they have not received my FAFSA yet. Apparently the new changes in the 2024-25 FAFSA form has caused a delay for many/most students.

Should I reach out to NHSC because im worried my fafsa wont be in by the 4/25 deadline?

My school told me they cannot complete my "Verification of Disadvantaged Background" form because they have not received my FAFSA yet. Apparently the new changes in the 2024-25 FAFSA form has caused a delay for many/most students.

Should I reach out to NHSC because im worried my fafsa wont be in by the 4/25 deadline?
My financial aid office did the same but told me I could send any information I could verifying disadvantaged status according to the form and they ultimately completed it.

Hi everyone, I can't seem to access any of the required forms/documents in the application and am not super sure what the issue might be as I'm taken to a blank tab every time I click on the hyperlinks. Would anyone be willing to email PDFs of the required documents or let me know if you were able to work around this issue? Thanks so much in advance!

Hi everyone, I can't seem to access any of the required forms/documents in the application and am not super sure what the issue might be as I'm taken to a blank tab every time I click on the hyperlinks. Would anyone be willing to email PDFs of the required documents or let me know if you were able to work around this issue? Thanks so much in advance!
Not really sure what my laptop did but I was finally able to download the documents directly from the application portal! Apparently, uploading two required documents myself was enough for the application to finally allow me to download directly.

Hi, I was wondering if I'd qualify as a first-gen student for the NHSC scholarship, my mum graduated while I was still in high school. Also, my family used Medicaid until like 2-3 years ago, my mum got a job working for the city, and they gave us new insurance. My siblings all graduated from a high school that qualifies as disadvantaged based on the criteria listed on the form but I went to a public early college high school that had an admissions process and does not meet the requirements. Can I still claim disadvantaged?

Not really sure what my laptop did but I was finally able to download the documents directly from the application portal! Apparently, uploading two required documents myself was enough for the application to finally allow me to download directly.

Ugh, I was able to download them but now for some reason it’s doing the same thing to me

Is there any way to show community service hours or relevant experiences other than in the personal statement? For example uploading something under the optional supporting documents section?

Is there any way to show community service hours or relevant experiences other than in the personal statement? For example uploading something under the optional supporting documents section?

I had my letter writers mention it in their recommendations.