2026 DAT Breakdown (480 AA / 480 TS / 570 PAT) (May 11)

Started by ekim3477
Tags Tags
breakdown
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ekim3477

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I've been a long-time lurker on these DAT forums and figured I'd write a breakdown since reading other people's posts helped me a ton. Hopefully this one helps somebody out there too.

Scores​

  • QR - 510
  • RC - 470
  • Bio - 510
  • GC - 430
  • OC - 490
  • TS (Survey of Natural Sciences) - 480
  • PAT - 570
  • AA - 480
1782240342130.png


Background​

I just finished my junior year at Northeastern as a biochem major. cGPA ~3.86, sGPA ~3.85. I was also on my second co-op the entire time I studied - working 32 hours a week at an oral surgery clinic from January 2026 to June 2026.

Materials Used

DAT Booster + one free Bootcamp practice test. Lots of breakdowns stack resources, but going deep on one program worked for me.


DAT Booster​

I bought the premium max membership with 15 practice tests during their holiday sale, which was cheaper than Bootcamp. I also kept hearing it was more representative than Bootcamp, which I'd say is very accurate. The subscription is 6 months, which lined up with my study window basically perfectly.

The best feature is the practice tests, hands down. They were very representative of the real thing for me - I had questions repeat (or get asked in slightly different wording) on the actual DAT. The cheat sheets are solid, but I didn't really use them much. People hype them as super high yield, but I just studied in a different way and it worked out fine.

I skipped Anki entirely. I don't learn well with flashcards like that. I also only did about half of the qbank questions total (and like half the bio bits). That sounds bad written out, but the tests are so thorough at covering every topic that I genuinely don't think I saw a single question on the real DAT that wasn't conceptually similar to something I'd already done on Booster. Videos were great too - I'd put them on in the car as well as actively watch them the first time through.

PAT-wise, Booster was easier than the DAT I took, and it was more than enough prep for the real thing. Just put in the reps.

The honest meta-advice on Booster: time on feet matters. The more you click around the website, take tests, and figure out which features work for you, the better your studying gets. I was terrible at structuring my time the first couple months. By the last month I knew exactly what to do every day and how to extract the most out of the program. If you're early in your prep and feel scattered and overwhelmed, that's normal and I felt the same. It gets sharper.

Study Timeline​

I started studying right after New Year's. Four months total, roughly broken down like this:

Months 1–2: Content Review. Watched all the science videos on Booster, took light notes, and got my first exposure to the PAT. This phase is overwhelming. The volume is massive and honestly a lot of it is niche stuff you'll never see on the actual exam. But you can't skip it - this is what builds the foundation. Don't try to memorize everything the first pass through. Just expose yourself to it.

Month 3: Transition to Practice. Mix of section tests, concept review on whatever I was weak in, and grinding qbanks. This is the phase where things finally start to click and you stop feeling like you're drowning.

Month 4: Test Mode. Full lengths, more full lengths, and hammering concepts in between. By this point I knew the format cold and was finally able to focus on test-taking strategy instead of just trying to learn material.

Real talk on what it was actually like

I want to be honest about this because I think most breakdowns skip it.

Going in, I had a lot of confidence. I've always done well in stuff like this and I figured it would just be a busy stretch of months that would pay off. That's not really what it was. The first couple months were rough on me mentally. My days looked like this: up at 5am, go run before sunrise, commute to work, get home after sunset, eat, then study, averaging maybe 2 hours on a good day. On my days off, exercise and study. That was my whole life.

It was depressing at times, and really hard mentally. I was doing badly on practice stuff at the beginning and that made it worse. But, it does get better, and it gets better exponentially. Once you're over that first learning hump, you start to feel the gains stack. Questions you used to bomb start clicking. Practice test scores climb. You start to actually believe you can do this.

If you're studying while working or in school full-time, my biggest piece of advice is just to keep your head up. It will not be easy. You will get discouraged. But the curve flips eventually, and when it does, you'll be glad you didn't quit during the slog.

What worked for me

The single thing that moved my scores was how I reviewed practice tests. After every full length, I'd go through every question I was unsure about - I bookmarked aggressively, and anything I wasn't 100% confident on got flagged. Then I'd sort through all the flagged ones and dive deep into the concept behind what each question was actually asking. Do that for every test and by the end of your prep you've basically seen everything the DAT can throw at you.

This is the whole game: Booster preps you incredibly well in terms of breadth - it exposes you to everything. Your job is to actually understand the concepts behind the questions. Memorizing answers doesn't move scores. Understanding the why does.

I used ChatGPT a lot to help me break down concepts that weren't clicking. Most of the DAT is genuinely surface level, so being able to ask follow-up questions ("wait, but why does this work that way?") and get an explanation that targets where I was actually confused was a huge unlock vs. re-reading the same static explanation for the fifth time.

This is how I did well without Anki and without grinding the qbanks to death. I only did about half the qbank questions total. That said, qbanks were valuable in the first 2 months when I was still learning content. Once I shifted into the practice test phase, reviewing the tests themselves was way higher leverage than chasing more new questions.

Day of Exam​

Bio (510)​

Didn't get a single question I hadn't seen something similar to. There's a lot of talk about "low yield" bio sections in May, but I think I only got 2 or 3 questions that I'd genuinely call low yield (and that I didn't know). My honest take: nothing is low yield if you've actually mastered all the concepts. A lot of people calling sections "low yield" probably just didn't put in enough work on the content. That might sound harsh but it was my mindset going in and I still think it's true.

I was averaging high 400s on my last 5 practice tests, so 510 was a great outcome.

GC (430)​

Disappointed in this one. I was averaging 500+ on practice tests and walked out of this section knowing I'd missed at least three questions that I 100% knew the answers to. Ripped my hair out about it after. Nothing you can do but execute on test day and try not to make dumb mistakes.

My GC section was surface level for about 75% of it, with a few tricky questions and a bunch of "puzzle" questions where you have to track steps carefully through a problem. Master Q vs K, VSEPR, atomic/periodic trends, and you'll do well. Know the differences between IE, EN, and EA (still hard to keep straight tbh).

Context for my score: I never took GC in college. My last GC class was AP Chem junior year of high school, which was 4 years ago, so I was relearning a lot of this from scratch. If you're in the same boat, expect to spend more time here than people who took it recently.

OC (490)​

Very happy with this - I was averaging 470ish my last few tests, and this was definitely my weakest section going in. I'd forgotten a ton of OC from freshman year.

My last few weeks I hyperfocused on reaction questions and recognizing reagents… and then barely got any reaction questions on the actual exam, so I feel a little silly about how I spent that time. But the test can throw anything at you, so you still need to know your reactions - you just can't predict the mix. Know acidity rankings, resonance, and NMR really well.

PAT (570)​

Genuinely surprised - I was averaging 470–500 going in, so this was way above what I expected.

Order I did the sections: TFE → Angle Ranking → Hole Punching → Cube Counting → Pattern Folding → Keyhole.

  • TFE: You can usually reduce to 2 options pretty fast. Once you're down to 2, find the difference between the two choices and match it to the real shape. Don't even really look at the top/front/end first - look at the answer choices first, group them, eliminate.
  • Angle Ranking: Just use Booster strats. Laptop folding, 90-degree closeness, and "blackness in knife" worked for me.
  • Hole Punching: Easiest section in my opinion. Pure repetition. You have to ace this and do it fast - I was finishing in about 6 minutes by the end.
  • Cube Counting: Same idea as hole punching. Just do a lot of them. I got very fast here too.
  • Pattern Folding: Treat it like TFE - look at the choices, find the slight differences between them, match to the pattern, eliminate. Do not get sucked into staring at the unfolded pattern. Always look at the choices first.
  • Keyhole: I give myself ~5 seconds to understand the shape and roughly group the choices, then I look at every single choice no matter what and eliminate the wrong ones. Even if one looks obviously right, force yourself to eliminate the others. You should have time banked from the other sections to use here.

RC (470)​

Disappointed - I was averaging 520+. My first passage was a rough one and there's not much you can do about that.

My method was full read-through (about 8 minutes per passage), then go through and do the questions in the remaining 12. The mental side of RC matters more: convince yourself before you start reading that whatever this passage is on, it's the most important and interesting thing in the world. Mentally prep and lock in.

Booster preps you well for this section.

QR (510)​

Also a little disappointing - I was hitting 550+ on practice. But I can't really complain about 510.

I got a lot more "quantitative comparison" questions (the ones where they give you two columns or statements and ask if 1 is sufficient, both are, neither is, etc.) than I ever did on Booster. Way more. Booster still preps you well overall. Just make sure you actually go back and learn the ones you didn't know how to do instead of just glancing at the explanation. QR has always been my stronger suit so I felt fine going in, which probably also helped.

ETC​

Test-day logistics. My exam was at 8am with a 30-minute drive. I ate a larger breakfast than usual (but same stuff, scrambled eggs over sourdough with hot sauce) to make sure I had fuel for the full thing. I'm a morning person normally so the wake-up itself wasn't bad. For my break, I packed a Barebells, an orange, Chomps meat sticks, and water, and ate it all in my car.

Use your break, don't waste it. Stretch. Walk around. Don't just sit.

Mentally reset before RC and QR. Those come after PAT and after the break, and your brain is fried by that point if you don't actively reset. Clear your head before going back in.

Do NOT dwell on the test during the break. It's inevitable that you'll replay questions in your head once the test is over. But during the actual break, do not let yourself spiral on what you think you got wrong. The last two sections need you fresh, not in your own head.

Ending Advice​

I've always been a good test taker - did well on the SAT, did well on tests in general. So I walked into prep thinking this would just be a busy stretch and ultimately not that bad. The studying will humble you. Even if you've always tested well, prepping for this exam is a different animal, and you should expect to get humbled by it at some point. Mine was the first couple months.

Going into the exam itself I was confident. My goal was 500+, and I kept telling myself "if I get lucky" and the exam runs my way, I could hit it. Looking at my scores, I'm happy with my performance - and at the same time, I'll be honest, I feel like I should have done better given how much prep I put in. Both can be true at once.

The biggest mantra I'd pass on for test day: execute to the best of your ability and leave it all out there. The studying is done. All you can do during those few hours is pour every bit of what you've got into the test. The worst feeling would be walking out and thinking "I still had more to give." Don't let that be you.

Stay grounded. Stay mentally strong. Don't lose yourself in this too hard. Be consistent and you'll do well. This is one number on an application that's much bigger than the test - be proud of the work, because it's a grind.

Hope this helps, sorry it's long. Good luck.