20AA DAT but low GPA... am I fine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matatiaho

Reaction score
Applied super early to 15 schools; some private, some public. I took my DAT on March 4th and was happy with my scores, but I'm not so sure anymore as I delve into the depths of SDN... I finished with a 3.35gpa with basically the same science gpa. I received a 20AA after taking the DAT with this breakdown: 20AA, 19 Bio, 18 GC, 21 OC, 18 PAT, 18 QR, 23 RC, 19 Survey of the Natural Sciences

Any advice on what to do going forward? Am I fine?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi since no one responded it thought I would give you my 2 cents, nothing worse than asking a question with no response, The scores on SDN can be quite misleading at times, yes students do of course score insanely high scores on the DAT but that is not the norm. Your scores are around average and you have a decent GPA. A lot depends on the schools you are applying to. I think you have an excellent chance to receive and interview. Make sure you have a very strong personal statement, that does make a difference. Sometimes the personal statement can be the door opener to an interview. I have worked with students almost 20 years and have concluded that there is more to getting into dental schools than the DAT score, they look at the whole picture. I have worked with students who gotten into dental school with lesser stats that yours.

Hope this helps and would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Wishing you the best, Nancy, co/owner, Destroyer

Hi since no one responded it thought I would give you my 2 cents, nothing worse than asking a question with no response, The scores on SDN can be quite misleading at times, yes students do of course score insanely high scores on the DAT but that is not the norm. Your scores are around average and you have a decent GPA. A lot depends on the schools you are applying to. I think you have an excellent chance to receive and interview. Make sure you have a very strong personal statement, that does make a difference. Sometimes the personal statement can be the door opener to an interview. I have worked with students almost 20 years and have concluded that there is more to getting into dental schools than the DAT score, they look at the whole picture. I have worked with students who gotten into dental school with lesser stats that yours.

Hope this helps and would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Wishing you the best, Nancy, co/owner, Destroyer
Thank you so much for your quick response! I appreciate the advice. I submitted a WAMC thread that may give more information and insight on the type of applicant that I am if that helps you at all assess my likelihood in getting interviews.

Thank you so much for your quick response! I appreciate the advice. I submitted a WAMC thread that may give more information and insight on the type of applicant that I am if that helps you at all assess my likelihood in getting interviews.

I just read all this information. noting this quote, " my older brother attended and graduated USC dental, and it's my dream school." Due to the fact that your brother attended and graduated from USC IMO that puts you in a better position for an interview. From my experience with schools they like the fact that family members attended the school, it should give you an edge.

Again wishing you the best, and my sincere wish is that you get into your dream dental school, "USC"

Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers