FloorMatt

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I've learned so much over these last few months reading breakdowns and what worked and didn't work for some people so nows my chance to pay it forward.

TIME:
I studied from June 1st to Aug 23. Month of June and most of July was probably 4 hrs/day and only weekdays. The last month or so is when I would take almost no days off with around 7 hrs a day.

Materials used:

DONT GET:
Crack the dat (5/10) -waste of money

MUST GET:
(10/10) 2009/2007 ADA tests
(10/10) DAT Bootcamp (dont use for QR)
(10/10) Qvault (dont use for PAT)
(10/10) Feralis notes (use this after destroyer and only focus on things you saw in destroyer)
(20/10) DAT and Math Destroyer

PAT: 10 CDP, 10 BC
I started my pat studying right at the beginning and read from one source that crack the dat was great yada yada. I learned the basics of what the pat was all about which was great in some ways. But it wasn't similar to the real dat at all. Particularly their TFE and keyhole. When I moved on to bootcamp pat after I nearly mastered crack the dat pat (15/15 TFE and keyholes), you see a big contrast to the questions. Hence, Use DAT bootcamp for the whole duration of your pat studying cause it saves you valuable time. It's best to start out mastering each individual section and only focusing on say hole punching for a certain day till you start to get really good at it, then move on to a different section.

DAT: Pat was literally another bootcamp test all over again with 2-3 rocks and 2-3 TFE that you just wont understand how to do. Visualize the TFE and keep your pace to under a minute on each question and your golden. Bootcamp PAT I was averaging around 20.

Reading: 5 CDP, 5 BC, 4 Qvault
From getting a 560 on my SAT reading I knew this was going to be a struggle. My first time practicing I would run out of time with 10 questions remaining. Even the couple tests where I finished all the questions I would end up with around a 16.... I then started discovering all the different methods of approaching this and started to find a groove. I would stop taking full tests and kept switching my strategies in between each individual passage because I was getting 7/17 on each one. By the time I got to Qvault I took a full practice test and got a 20 (36/50). Found something that worked? My method was basically reading, mapping and answering questions all at the same time. For some reason this worked the best even though I was all over the place. Just look for something that works for you and stick with it.

DAT: Whats weird is on the real DAT I got pretty nervous and went almost solely search and destroy. Search and destroy on the real DAT is MUCH easier than on any ordinary test. The passages were short and easy to read. They throw the answer in your face on a ton of them. I got a passage on H. Pylori which is also on bootcamp so I lucked out extremely hard. I did that passage 2 days before my exam again because I saw someone else's breakdown a couple days earlier who said they saw it on theirs. I couldn't believe it. I was down to 2 questions with 30 seconds remaining and decided to guess on both. Probably should've tried to answer one correctly which would've been the better move. Oh well.

Math: 1-13 Math destroyer, Qvault
I was always relatively good at math. This is the section I enjoyed the most. I did 1-13 tests of math destroyer which goes over almost every question you could see on the DAT. Qvault was the most representative of the questions and grade you will get (avg 21). Bootcamp has way too many word problems. The real DAT keeps it simple with short problems.

DAT: Saw 2-3 questions that were impossible and not in math destroyer. The rest were a joke. I was also rushing really hard because I just wanted to see my score already so I may have made stupid errors. I had to considering I expected a slightly higher score in this section, but oh well.

BIO: Destroyer, Bootcamp, Qvault, Feralis
This is where most of my summer went into. I went over destroyer twice, Feralis notes twice (skimming most), Qvault, and bootcamp. Expose yourself to anything and everything. One thing about feralis though is that a lot of it is too into depth. After I exposed myself to destroyer which is the breadth of the exam, I only focused on THOSE topics in feralis. Not the topics that destroyer didn't cover. I had a stack of almost 700 flashcards by the time I was done with bio. Every fact I thought was hard to remember I made a flashcard out of it. Everyday I wrote around 30 new flashcards and at the end of the day I would go over those flashcards again till I knew them. Bootcamp and qvault averages were around 19, but I made flashcards on every question I got wrong.

TIP: Make thousands of mnemonic devices. If it makes you laugh you will remember it. Almost every word I had a way of remembering because I would relate it to something. Ex. For the adrenal medulla.. my friends last name is medolla and he's got a ton of energy when hes drunk. So I instantly think of adrenaline when I see this in any context. Relating words to anything will help you.

DAT: At least 5 questions came straight out destroyer word for word. It's like the DAT pulls its questions out of this book. Maybe Dr. Romano should sue them cause they're his questions!! Or are they? Anyway. There was only 2 questions that I've never ever read anything about and completely guessed on them. Very simple questions and a lot of EASY application questions. If you go over destroyer bio twice you will know everything.

Chem: Destroyer, QVault, Bootcamp
Keep exposing yourself to new questions because this also has a pretty wide breath of things they can ask you. Destroyer is overkill in a good way. I went through destroyer twice. Qvault was good practice as was Bootcamp. Focus on concepts rather than the math of problems. Averages were around 24 on all the practice tests.

DAT: Very concept based. only a couple calculations that you didn't even have to do. Know buffers cause that will be a question on your test. Nothing I've never seen before and much easier than destroyer. Even bootcamp was harder than this.

Orgo: Destroyer, Qvault, Bootcamp
I'm going to my junior year so I just took orgo and was very familiar with 90% of everything. Went over destroyer 2 times along with qvault and bootcamp. Once again, destroyer is overkill in a good way. The hard questions on their drill the concepts in so you can have that critical thinking during the real exam for questions you've never seen.

DAT: A joke compared to destroyer. Every question was half the difficulty of any destroyer problem. There were however 2-3 questions I was unfamiliar with despite using such a wide breath of materials. Made some educated guesses and moved on.

SCORES:
Perceptual: 21 :nod:
Math: 20 :claps:
Reading: 19 :ninja:
Bio: 23 :bow:
Chem: 25:clap:
Orgo: 23 :whistle:
TS: 24 :soexcited:
AA: 22 :banana:

Conclusion: Make time to study and study the right materials and you are golden. My GPA is a 3.4 so to put that in perspective you dont need to be a genius to do well on the DAT. It just takes a a smidge of dedication.

.11911874_540838439399548_77111652_n.png

OP
FloorMatt

FloorMatt

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I didn't write down my scores at all for bc and too lazy to look on qvault but...

Bootcamp avg first time through:
Bio: around 19
Gc: around 24
Orgo: around 24
Reading: around 16
Math: took only 1 and got a 21
Pat: around 21

I only went through bio a second time and started scoring 24-30.

Qvault was nearly the same as far as scoring for all these sections, except rc where i started to get 20's.

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
I've learned so much over these last few months reading breakdowns and what worked and didn't work for some people so nows my chance to pay it forward.

TIME:
I studied from June 1st to Aug 23. Month of June and most of July was probably 4 hrs/day and only weekdays. The last month or so is when I would take almost no days off with around 7 hrs a day.

Materials used:

DONT GET:
Crack the dat (5/10) -waste of money

MUST GET:
(10/10) 2009/2007 ADA tests
(10/10) DAT Bootcamp (dont use for QR)
(10/10) Qvault (dont use for PAT)
(10/10) Feralis notes (use this after destroyer and only focus on things you saw in destroyer)
(20/10) DAT and Math Destroyer

PAT: 10 CDP, 10 BC
I started my pat studying right at the beginning and read from one source that crack the dat was great yada yada. I learned the basics of what the pat was all about which was great in some ways. But it wasn't similar to the real dat at all. Particularly their TFE and keyhole. When I moved on to bootcamp pat after I nearly mastered crack the dat pat (15/15 TFE and keyholes), you see a big contrast to the questions. Hence, Use DAT bootcamp for the whole duration of your pat studying cause it saves you valuable time. It's best to start out mastering each individual section and only focusing on say hole punching for a certain day till you start to get really good at it, then move on to a different section.

DAT: Pat was literally another bootcamp test all over again with 2-3 rocks and 2-3 TFE that you just wont understand how to do. Visualize the TFE and keep your pace to under a minute on each question and your golden. Bootcamp PAT I was averaging around 20.

Reading: 5 CDP, 5 BC, 4 Qvault
From getting a 560 on my SAT reading I knew this was going to be a struggle. My first time practicing I would run out of time with 10 questions remaining. Even the couple tests where I finished all the questions I would end up with around a 16.... I then started discovering all the different methods of approaching this and started to find a groove. I would stop taking full tests and kept switching my strategies in between each individual passage because I was getting 7/17 on each one. By the time I got to Qvault I took a full practice test and got a 20 (36/50). Found something that worked? My method was basically reading, mapping and answering questions all at the same time. For some reason this worked the best even though I was all over the place. Just look for something that works for you and stick with it.

DAT: Whats weird is on the real DAT I got pretty nervous and went almost solely search and destroy. Search and destroy on the real DAT is MUCH easier than on any ordinary test. The passages were short and easy to read. They throw the answer in your face on a ton of them. I got a passage on H. Pylori which is also on bootcamp so I lucked out extremely hard. I did that passage 2 days before my exam again because I saw someone else's breakdown a couple days earlier who said they saw it on theirs. I couldn't believe it. I was down to 2 questions with 30 seconds remaining and decided to guess on both. Probably should've tried to answer one correctly which would've been the better move. Oh well.

Math: 1-13 Math destroyer, Qvault
I was always relatively good at math. This is the section I enjoyed the most. I did 1-13 tests of math destroyer which goes over almost every question you could see on the DAT. Qvault was the most representative of the questions and grade you will get (avg 21). Bootcamp has way too many word problems. The real DAT keeps it simple with short problems.

DAT: Saw 2-3 questions that were impossible and not in math destroyer. The rest were a joke. I was also rushing really hard because I just wanted to see my score already so I may have made stupid errors. I had to considering I expected a slightly higher score in this section, but oh well.

BIO: Destroyer, Bootcamp, Qvault, Feralis
This is where most of my summer went into. I went over destroyer twice, Feralis notes twice (skimming most), Qvault, and bootcamp. Expose yourself to anything and everything. One thing about feralis though is that a lot of it is too into depth. After I exposed myself to destroyer which is the breadth of the exam, I only focused on THOSE topics in feralis. Not the topics that destroyer didn't cover. I had a stack of almost 700 flashcards by the time I was done with bio. Every fact I thought was hard to remember I made a flashcard out of it. Everyday I wrote around 30 new flashcards and at the end of the day I would go over those flashcards again till I knew them. Bootcamp and qvault averages were around 19, but I made flashcards on every question I got wrong.

TIP: Make thousands of mnemonic devices. If it makes you laugh you will remember it. Almost every word I had a way of remembering because I would relate it to something. Ex. For the adrenal medulla.. my friends last name is medolla and he's got a ton of energy when hes drunk. So I instantly think of adrenaline when I see this in any context. Relating words to anything will help you.

DAT: At least 5 questions came straight out destroyer word for word. It's like the DAT pulls its questions out of this book. Maybe Dr. Romano should sue them cause they're his questions!! Or are they? Anyway. There was only 2 questions that I've never ever read anything about and completely guessed on them. Very simple questions and a lot of EASY application questions. If you go over destroyer bio twice you will know everything.

Chem: Destroyer, QVault, Bootcamp
Keep exposing yourself to new questions because this also has a pretty wide breath of things they can ask you. Destroyer is overkill in a good way. I went through destroyer twice. Qvault was good practice as was Bootcamp. Focus on concepts rather than the math of problems. Averages were around 24 on all the practice tests.

DAT: Very concept based. only a couple calculations that you didn't even have to do. Know buffers cause that will be a question on your test. Nothing I've never seen before and much easier than destroyer. Even bootcamp was harder than this.

Orgo: Destroyer, Qvault, Bootcamp
I'm going to my junior year so I just took orgo and was very familiar with 90% of everything. Went over destroyer 2 times along with qvault and bootcamp. Once again, destroyer is overkill in a good way. The hard questions on their drill the concepts in so you can have that critical thinking during the real exam for questions you've never seen.

DAT: A joke compared to destroyer. Every question was half the difficulty of any destroyer problem. There were however 2-3 questions I was unfamiliar with despite using such a wide breath of materials. Made some educated guesses and moved on.

SCORES:
Perceptual: 21 :nod:
Math: 20 :claps:
Reading: 19 :ninja:
Bio: 23 :bow:
Chem: 25:clap:
Orgo: 23 :whistle:
TS: 24 :soexcited:
AA: 22 :banana:

Conclusion: Make time to study and study the right materials and you are golden. My GPA is a 3.4 so to put that in perspective you dont need to be a genius to do well on the DAT. It just takes a a smidge of dedication.

.View attachment 195496
FloorMatt, Congratulations! Wow!!!!! :soexcited::clap::soexcited::clap::=|:-):

The DAT Beast has been Destroyed once again and is waiting for the next opponent..You went in to fight prepared with the right tools and slayed the Beast!!!:D
You should be very proud of these scores, TS 24 AA 22 is blazing:flame:.

You breakdown will help a lot of students and it is very commendable that you took the time to give back to the SDN community.

I agree you do not need to be a genius to Destroy the DAT, but it does take a good study plan and dedication, there is no easy way, you must prepare for whatever may come you way, and no one knows that until test day!

Wishing you the best and thank you very much for the positive review of our materials.

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy

Last edited:

enamel88

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2012
CA
Status
Dental Student
Great scores!! What did you think of CDR compared to the real test? Would you say it's difficult? I'm avging around 18, and I like to know if that translates to an 18 on the RC. Did you map in your head? I'm using the same technique as you I think.

OP
FloorMatt

FloorMatt

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
@orgoman22 Thank you! I couldn't have done it without your help!! ~ texter

@enamel88 I did CDR towards the beginning so I don't remember much from it. But I do remember it being easier than bootcamp and bootcamp was harder than the real thing. So it is probably a good indicator of your score. On the real thing I ditched the mapping completely and went solely SnD. But mapping did work for me while practicing. I would write down my maps and answer questions that I passed while reading.

OP
FloorMatt

FloorMatt

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
@azxken thanks! Well worth giving up a summer for a good grade

hopefuldent52

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Feb 14, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Wow. Great scores and a very detailed (fantastic) breakdown. How many times did you go over math destroyer?

OP
FloorMatt

FloorMatt

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Wow. Great scores and a very detailed (fantastic) breakdown. How many times did you go over math destroyer?
Only went through 1-13 once and I must've skipped dozens of questions because I was too stubborn to learn new things. Then moved on to qvault tests where I was getting 22's. Btw! Qvault and Bootcamp still for sale for those interested.

OP
FloorMatt

FloorMatt

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
VERY nice scores there 24 TS is amazing. now go prepare for interviews!! :)
Not applying till next year so I have a ton of time to prep:angelic: