22 Year Old Man From Wayne State University Needs Bone Marrow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ron Giles

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Uzoma Azuh is suffering from Leukemia and needs bone marrow. They have check the world wide registry of 10 million people and he can't find a match. He is going to Wayne State University to become a doctor. Please go to www.donorcorner.com to find out how to sign up to become a donor. Please tell all of your friends and family. If he doesn't receive bone marrow he will die. I was a bone marrow donor myself and now I am helping to get the word out about getting on the registry and I started a website to do that. The little pain that you go thru isn't as painful as losing your family member. The pain is more like you over did exercising or you had a rough game of hockey. You can email if you want more info. The address is on the website. If you had someone in your family you would hope that people would get on the list. The life you save could be your own life. If you need bone marrow in the future and you already got people to get on the list then you may have a match. Together we can save lives.www.donorcorner.com

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think it is wrong of me to ask for help to get people on the marrow list here to save Uzoma's Life?

Ron Giles said:
Do you think it is wrong of me to ask for help to get people on the marrow list here to save Uzoma's Life?

No, it is not. This is legitimate, people. Please sign up and help this guy!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the only place I noticed this thread posted. You may want to try posting in the pre-allo and pre-osteo forums. (I suspect they get more traffic, and thus, more exposure). Hopefully the mods will be ok with the repeat threads. If not, I'm sure they will remove them.

Pharos said:
This is the only place I noticed this thread posted. You may want to try posting in the pre-allo and pre-osteo forums. (I suspect they get more traffic, and thus, more exposure). Hopefully the mods will be ok with the repeat threads. If not, I'm sure they will remove them.

Thanks I will post it in the pre-allo and pre-osteo forums.

if nobody in the worldwide registry of 10 million people is a match, what are the odds somebody on SDN will be? whats your relation to this scenario? is compensation given for donating?

Flameshield: ON

Minorities (AA's) are especially important in Uzoma's case since there is a higher possiblity for a match.

Shredder said:
if nobody in the worldwide registry of 10 million people is a match, what are the odds somebody on SDN will be? whats your relation to this scenario? is compensation given for donating?

Flameshield: ON
The odds would be like a needle in a haystack. You could be his needle or someone's else needle. If you or other people don't get on the registry than ,we know that his odds would be zero. You don't know where you will find your match, it could be in SDN. If you were needing bone marrow, I am sure you would be hoping everybody would be getting on the registry. If you can't help Uzoma then maybe you could help someone else. There is compenstation for donating and that is that you feel good for saving someone's life. I was a bone marrow donor and when I met the young teen I donated to, he hugged me and was so thankful for saving his live. He had 3 weeks to live before he got my marrow. That is how I got compensated. By getting the word out the you increase his odds and everyone else that needs bone marrow. Please tell as many people as you can to get on the list.

Usually you find the match in your ethnic group but Uzoma is asking everybody to join because you could save someone's life. Someday you may need bone marrow and the work that you do to get people on the registry will increase your odds of finding a match. So please tell everyone.

altruism is not a strong enough incentive to cure shortages. im an economist, this is just how i think. but this has been discussed before around here concerning organs and blood donations. i think to really solve the problem you will have to come up with monetary compensation plans. or you can cling to altruism and continue to have shortages that result in deaths. idealism and deaths, or realism and saving lives--i favor the latter. what are the reasons monetary compensation is not in place right now? if there are some barriers for that, my opinion is that it would be more fruitful to work on overcoming those barriers than to dig for needles in haystacks. for example if there are some political or legal obstacles. if you include a $5000 bonus with this thread in any forum, you will generate a lot of interest.

--the thoughts of a business minded person. but hey this is the business forum after all. i want to see the guy survive too. i just am skeptical that this is the best method to make that happen. people respond to incentives. im telling you as constructively as possible that im not feeling your pitch, and for the victims sake i hope either others dont feel the way i do (whether they admit it or not) or you find a different approach that will change that.

altruism or not, this is basically sales. again, being in the business forum its only reasonable for me to think about it this way. really, wheres the guys gut wrenching pics and story, the sorrowful family members, the emotions? but i always include a disclaimer around here--im young, dont pay too much attention to me, i have a lot to learn myself.

oops this isnt in the business forum, that must have been the other one. well the pitch still doesnt hit the right chords. now if i said, this thing will perish in a week unless 5 people sign up, it gets you thinking you know

c03b1c8e13e3921ce15800482234b669.jpg
it was a pic of a cute puppy until the site stopped my hotlinking, but you get the idea

also, "boy" arouses more sympathy than "man". sorry for being analytical about this, but im having fun (for lack of a better word) with it, and its really all for the best

Shredder said:
also, "boy" arouses more sympathy than "man". sorry for being analytical about this, but im having fun (for lack of a better word) with it, and its really all for the best

glad that you're having "fun" theorizing about altruism and applying concepts from intro to macroecon when this guy might just die. again, you show a complete lack of real world understanding and human decency.

exlawgrrl said:
glad that you're having "fun" theorizing about altruism and applying concepts from intro to macroecon when this guy might just die. again, you show a complete lack of real world understanding and human decency.
can you show me how much action you or sdners have taken on this issue, based on your real world understanding and human decency. thats all i need to know. i already made a disclaimer about my use of the word fun, i just think its an interesting phenomenon from a sales and economic standpoint, and that this sorry pitch isnt going to lead to anything. if this level of selling continues the poor guy will die. dont talk to me from a high horse please, i cant hear

SDNers: "the guy is dying, how sad, shredders heartless" (back to studying/work)
Shredder: "OP im not sure if this approach is going to work and there might be better ways to save the guy than taking one in a million gambles. in light of the guys life i hope you can appreciate frankness. at this point what the guy needs is marrow not self righteous sympathizers. consider offering something besides a warm hug and a kiss and you might arouse some interest"

in fact it makes me upset that you all are willing to place self righteousness and preaching above the reality of the grave situation at hand. sympathy means seeing someone in the gutter and lending a hand to help him up, not lying there with him

OP dont play lottery with the guys well being. lawgirl can you disprove concepts from intro eco (which ive surpassed btw), or tell me that humans do not respond to incentives, or tell me that this is not a form of a sales pitch? i suppose it was very effective on you and that you ran to donate marrow and register. obviously im upset bc i think that youre being bloody hypocritical and i resent that a lot. correct me if im mistaken, in which case i apologize and ill respond in kind. otherwise my accusations and animosity stand. if i find out youre being a hypocrite it would be outrageous and we might just never speak again

Shredder said:
OP dont play lottery with the guys well being. lawgirl can you disprove concepts from intro eco (which ive surpassed btw), or tell me that humans do not respond to incentives, or tell me that this is not a form of a sales pitch? i suppose it was very effective on you and that you ran to donate marrow and register. obviously im upset bc i think that youre being bloody hypocritical and i resent that a lot. correct me if im mistaken, in which case i apologize and ill respond in kind. otherwise my accusations and animosity stand. if i find out youre being a hypocrite it would be outrageous and we might just never speak again

You are right that they would get more people if they offered money, but I think there is enought that will still want to save lives. That is not how the system works by giving money and we have to do the best with the system that we can. If you get selected to donate, you don't even know who you donate to until after one year. There are all kinds of people that are donating bone marrow every year and they are looking beyond the monetary factor. I just met Uzoma and I am spending time trying to help him without any compensation. You may ask "why would anyone do something that foolish to spend time on something and not get paid?". I believe in the pay it forward. I believe there is enough good people out there, when they get someone helping them they will in turn want to help other people. In turn it might end up helping you. If we have enough people who are helping everyone then this would be a better world. It may seem like a fantasy world to you but it works for me. It may seem small by putting him on the forum and writing emails to alot of people but there will be a percentage of the people that are like me and would read this and go and get signed up. That in turn could help out other people. It is not really asking alot. You have a little pain and your bone marrow replenish itself. The pain is like a stiffness pain like you fell on the ice. A little pain and someone life gained. Take a look at Amy Army on the search and you will see that the little girl needs bone marrow. Her army got 3227 people tested and have not found a match but 13 of those peole have matched other people. We might not be able to find a match for Uzo right away but we may help out other people. If enough people are holding drives then we could find a match for him. Like I said before, if you ever need bone marrow you better hope that everyone doesn't think like you. Everything is supposed to be anoyomous so it might be hard to pay. It is not like they are asking for a organ from you. It is just a in and out procedure at the hospital for one day and a life is saved. Please think about and if you want more info please go to my website. www.donorcorner.com or email me at [email protected] Please tell everyone because the more that know then we have a higher amount of people signing up.

Shredder said:
but this has been discussed before around here concerning organs and blood donations.

Indeed, and the entire reason that monetary compensation for blood donations was halted is because the folks most likely to sink to donating blood for cash were also the most likely to be infected with a menagerie of blood-borne pathogens. Same goes for directed donors, even though they are still allowed.

And so, alas, the powers that been in blood banking have decided to do it the old fashion way, giving out T-shirts and free ice cream (such as Blue Bell's adorable "Pint for a Pint" campaign) instead.

Somehow I don't see potential bone marrow donors being effectively lured with such schwag.

Members don't see this ad :)
exlawgrrl said:
that would be such a loss. :rolleyes: what's your problem with apostrophes, btw?
keep preaching all your life lawgirl while people like me actually make things happen. grammar/spelling/punctuation flames are lame, a last resort of someone who has no actual content to contribute or address

Ron Giles said:
You are right that they would get more people if they offered money, but I think there is enought that will still want to save lives. That is not how the system works by giving money and we have to do the best with the system that we can. If you get selected to donate, you don't even know who you donate to until after one year. There are all kinds of people that are donating bone marrow every year and they are looking beyond the monetary factor. I just met Uzoma and I am spending time trying to help him without any compensation. You may ask "why would anyone do something that foolish to spend time on something and not get paid?". I believe in the pay it forward. I believe there is enough good people out there, when they get someone helping them they will in turn want to help other people. In turn it might end up helping you. If we have enough people who are helping everyone then this would be a better world. It may seem like a fantasy world to you but it works for me. It may seem small by putting him on the forum and writing emails to alot of people but there will be a percentage of the people that are like me and would read this and go and get signed up. That in turn could help out other people. It is not really asking alot. You have a little pain and your bone marrow replenish itself. The pain is like a stiffness pain like you fell on the ice. A little pain and someone life gained. Take a look at Amy Army on the search and you will see that the little girl needs bone marrow. Her army got 3227 people tested and have not found a match but 13 of those peole have matched other people. We might not be able to find a match for Uzo right away but we may help out other people. If enough people are holding drives then we could find a match for him. Like I said before, if you ever need bone marrow you better hope that everyone doesn't think like you. Everything is supposed to be anoyomous so it might be hard to pay. It is not like they are asking for a organ from you. It is just a in and out procedure at the hospital for one day and a life is saved. Please think about and if you want more info please go to my website. www.donorcorner.com or email me at [email protected] Please tell everyone because the more that know then we have a higher amount of people signing up.
the fact that probably nobody on sdn has done anything about this guy reveals all the hypocrisy. if they cant put it on their app then why bother. i dont think the experimental laws of wikipedia, firefox and linux should be applied to human lives, the whole open source idea. microsoft still dominates operating systems as well as web browsers, so that shows just how altruistic people are. if you want to save the guy, find a way to offer a bounty. or preach as he slowly and tragically passes on. if thats not how the system works then change the system, not do the best with what we can. if everyone thought like that how would innovation and change ever happen, wed be stuck with the status quo everywhere with that fatalistic mentality

look i dont mean to be antagonistic or insensitive but i think i raise some legitimate points. honestly, if the guy put a $5000 (random amount) bounty on a match people would be falling over themselves to get tested

Shredder said:
the fact that probably nobody on sdn has done anything about this guy reveals all the hypocrisy. if they cant put it on their app then why bother. i dont think the experimental laws of wikipedia, firefox and linux should be applied to human lives, the whole open source idea. microsoft still dominates operating systems as well as web browsers, so that shows just how altruistic people are. if you want to save the guy, find a way to offer a bounty. or preach as he slowly and tragically passes on. if thats not how the system works then change the system, not do the best with what we can. if everyone thought like that how would innovation and change ever happen, wed be stuck with the status quo everywhere with that fatalistic mentality

look i dont mean to be antagonistic or insensitive but i think i raise some legitimate points. honestly, if the guy put a $5000 (random amount) bounty on a match people would be falling over themselves to get tested

It is said but yet it is so true. I really feel for this guy and I am going to go down to the local hospital and see what I can do. With that said, many sdners could give a s**t about this poor guy becuase they cannot put it on their apps, including ex law girl. Some of the things Shredder says are politically incorrect, but usually he is right. Sad world but that is how it is. In a way that is what made this country great.

CTSballer11 said:
It is said but yet it is so true. I really feel for this guy and I am going to go down to the local hospital and see what I can do. With that said, many sdners could give a s**t about this poor guy becuase they cannot put it on their apps, including ex law girl. Some of the things Shredder says are politically incorrect, but usually he is right. Sad world but that is how it is. In a way that is what made this country great.

I hope many others go and see what they can do to help Uzoma and people that need bone marrow. Thank you. Right now Uzoma is in the hospital getting chemo when he should of have been half way thru his second year of medical school. He wanted be finished medical school at 25 and be a cardiologist by 32.
He used to volunteer at Windsor Cancer Centre and now he needs help.
Thanks to everyone that is doing something to help. I hope you are have a merry Christmas or Happy Holidays.

When you are with your families please discuss with them, how to get on the bone marrow registry. The greatest compensation for you will be if they end of saving someone's life because you will know you had something to do with it.
I am not asking you to conquer the world, I am just asking you to save lives.

Ron Giles

CTSballer11 said:

I hope many others go and see what they can do to help Uzoma and people that need bone marrow. Thank you. Right now Uzoma is in the hospital getting chemo when he should of have been half way thru his second year of medical school. He wanted be finished medical school at 25 and be a cardiologist by 32.
He used to volunteer at Windsor Cancer Centre and now he needs help.
Thanks to everyone that is doing something to help. I hope you are have a merry Christmas or Happy Holidays.

When you are with your families please discuss with them, how to get on the bone marrow registry. The greatest compensation for you will be if they end of saving someone's life because you will know you had something to do with it.
I am not asking you to conquer the world, I am just asking you to save lives.

Happy New Year to everyone.
Ron Giles

I think it is so awesome that you have posted this plea and I truly hope that a match is found.
I apologise if this is a really stupid question, but if a person has had melanoma, is it safe for them to be a bone marrow donor?

futuredo32 said:
I think it is so awesome that you have posted this plea and I truly hope that a match is found.
I apologise if this is a really stupid question, but if a person has had melanoma, is it safe for them to be a bone marrow donor?
Here is the website http://www.marrow.org/HELP/med_guidelines_join.html#Cancer to check out if you are eligible to donate bone marrow. Unfortunately you can't donate marrrow if you had melanoma. You could mention it or email as many people as you know to get them on the registry and if they save someone life then you will know that you had something to do with that. When you send emails out have a link to www.donorcorner.com because if they see a pic then they may be more willing to help out. The more numbers we have the better odds for Uzo and anybody else. Thanks for inquiring about donating.

Havarti666 said:
Indeed, and the entire reason that monetary compensation for blood donations was halted is because the folks most likely to sink to donating blood for cash were also the most likely to be infected with a menagerie of blood-borne pathogens. Same goes for directed donors, even though they are still allowed.

And so, alas, the powers that been in blood banking have decided to do it the old fashion way, giving out T-shirts and free ice cream (such as Blue Bell's adorable "Pint for a Pint" campaign) instead.

Somehow I don't see potential bone marrow donors being effectively lured with such schwag.
What about payment after the blood is screened?
Also what about the cost of the blood donation recruitment money being funded by the patients? Such as a fee of $10 be charged per pint used. I don't think people would mind if they are guarenteed to have the blood they need.

i see a lot of good propositions on these forums, including these here brett, and im led to wonder why they are not implemented.

1. political reasons--interest groups, power, who knows
2. nobodys thought of them (usually unlikely)
3. conspiracies...im growing paranoid these days

BrettBatchelor said:
What about payment after the blood is screened?
Also what about the cost of the blood donation recruitment money being funded by the patients? Such as a fee of $10 be charged per pint used. I don't think people would mind if they are guarenteed to have the blood they need.

An average unit of PRBC (packed red blood cells) runs on the order of $500, so $10 isn't going to go very far. Besides, the vast majority of people who need blood get it in a timely fashion, so there is little incentive to institute such a policy.

Payment after the blood is screened won't work either. You see, the blood bank people really dropped the ball during the rise of HIV in the early 80's. Their refusal to make HIV screening mandatory in the early days of the epidemic (based on cost issues) resulted in a nightmare on every front (public relations, public health, you name it). The entire blood bank community was incredibly scarred by that unfathomable mess, and it lingers to this day.

The lack of payment for blood donations (with the exception of plasma, which is really a pain to extract) persists not because of what we can screen for today, but to avoid a theoretical future disaster with some currently unknown blood-borne virus or other pathogen (like HIV was in 1978). Is that being excessively cautious? Perhaps, but like I said, the blood bank community learned a hard lesson 20-25 years ago, and they haven't forgotten it yet.

Havarti666 said:
An average unit of PRBC (packed red blood cells) runs on the order of $500, so $10 isn't going to go very far. Besides, the vast majority of people who need blood get it in a timely fashion, so there is little incentive to institute such a policy.

Payment after the blood is screened won't work either. You see, the blood bank people really dropped the ball during the rise of HIV in the early 80's. Their refusal to make HIV screening mandatory in the early days of the epidemic (based on cost issues) resulted in a nightmare on every front (public relations, public health, you name it). The entire blood bank community was incredibly scarred by that unfathomable mess, and it lingers to this day.

The lack of payment for blood donations (with the exception of plasma, which is really a pain to extract) persists not because of what we can screen for today, but to avoid a theoretical future disaster with some currently unknown blood-borne virus or other pathogen (like HIV was in 1978). Is that being excessively cautious? Perhaps, but like I said, the blood bank community learned a hard lesson 20-25 years ago, and they haven't forgotten it yet.
In reference to the cost of the blood, the $10 "donation fee" would be on top of the $500 storage/processing etc. That donation fee would be a drop in the bucket. On the flip side, you wouldn't want to encourage too much donation and have the blood go unused and have people expect payment.

You no doubt know more about the pathology side than I do, so I can't argue with you on that, I was just offering a suggestion to the blood shortage problem.