220s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coolio30

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yall

here is my dilemma. currently am a third year at a us med school in the northeast. grades (preclinical- mainly hp; clinical; got H on medicine, and Ob, the rest mainly passes (including surg) and a few HP on electives) from a us medical school in the northeast. plan on doing a prelim year at a strong medicine program. i am concernned about my chances for being accepted to rads ( i do not care where ,community is fine too, but obviously prefer university )

1) should i take step 2 early (if i dont think i will do significantly better)

2) how much will my poor clinical grades hurt me for rads.

3) should i just take a year off to do research
4) my back up is the prelim medicine, for which if not accepted, i would just finish medicine

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a decent chance of matching at a university program.

Because your Step II is arguably on the low side, taking Step II early and doing better (even 10-15 points) can be a valuable asset to your application. Focus on improving more subjective parts of your application (strong PS, strong LORs, away rotations, schmoozing your school's PD, making good M-4 grades, start a research project, etc.).

Definitely don't take a year off to do research -- that's never going to kick doors open for you on a wide scale.

Having a back-up plan is just fine, but go for Rads will all you have, if it's what you want. Apply broadly to get 10 interviews and you'll most likely match.

If one is applying for the 2007 match and ends up not matching in radiology, but matches for a preliminary spot, then can he apply for the 2008 match for radiology while completing the prelim year? (I was told by a classmate that you would have to wait out a year before applying again-not sure if this is true).

Somebody clarify this for someone who has not gone through the process yet! (Sorry to hijack the thread, kinda confused about this process :confused: ).

Members don't see this ad :)
Coolio30 said:
Hey yall

here is my dilemma. currently am a third year at a us med school in the northeast. grades (preclinical- mainly hp; clinical; got H on medicine, and Ob, the rest mainly passes (including surg) and a few HP on electives) from a us medical school in the northeast. plan on doing a prelim year at a strong medicine program. i am concernned about my chances for being accepted to rads ( i do not care where ,community is fine too, but obviously prefer university )

1) should i take step 2 early (if i dont think i will do significantly better)

3) should i just take a year off to do research
4) my back up is the prelim medicine, for which if not accepted, i would just finish medicine

Apply broadly and you have a good chance at matching SOMEWHERE. Many people mistakenly assume rads is one of the ultra-competitive specialties. No doubt matching at the top tier programs in rads is as impressive as matching in the top tier programs in any specialty. Unlike many of the ultra-competitive specialties, however, rads has a lot of spots. So while there are a lot of superstars applying, there are still plenty of spots left to the more "normal" applicants. You just have to accept that you might not have much control over where you end up!

thats what Im aiming for personally.

I'm a ho hum fmg applicant looking to get my foot in teh door! Met a guy from my school who matched with a score in the 220s into a NYC program.

Coolio30 said:
; clinical; got H on medicine, and Ob, the rest mainly passes (including surg) and a few HP on electives) from a us medical school in the northeast.

What?? Poor clinical grades with an H in medicine--arguably the most important grade 3rd year along with surgery? Plus an honors in OB = 2 H's overall out of the required clerkships? I feel "poor" is a relative term. Unless your school gives the majority of you guys HPs and Hs. Where I go, P is the norm, and the supergunnerish get H and gunnerish get HP.

223 and I'm in. 237 step two, released eras 10/8.

it's doable.

I think that the number of medical students applying for radiology has been declining over the past few years. For a number of reasons, radiology is becoming easier to match into. If you are a us grad and willling to go anywhere, you will match.

Molly Maquire said:
I think that the number of medical students applying for radiology has been declining over the past few years. For a number of reasons, radiology is becoming easier to match into. If you are a us grad and willling to go anywhere, you will match.

from about 1500 to about 1200 from 2004-2006 match years. seems to me easier. I was told matching in my city would be very hard for me but it happened.

you mind me asking what city you are referring to.

thanks for the replies. do programs have cutoffs in terms of grades. I know many programs have step 1 cutoffs around 230. however, do programs eliminate chances of interviewing if you do not get an honors in surgery or medicine (assuming they are the most important grades??)