25 MCAT- doomed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EarthtoneJon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have looked all over this site for someone in my situation, so that I could piggyback off of the advice. But- surprise- there is nobody exactly like me.

Today, I was devastated to find out that I scored a 25 P (9PS 8VR 8BS) on the MCAT.

Here is my situation, in short.

I am a 21 year old male CT resident. I am not from an underrepresented group, although I was home schooled, which distinguishes my application somewhat. I have a 3.98 GPA, which breaks down to a 4.00 non-science GPA and 3.97 science GPA. Although my school is not top-ranked for undergraduate sciences, it is an American Chemical Society Certified program, and as a Chemistry major my coursework has been quite comprehensive, if a bit lacking in biology.

My volunteer and extra curricular work is outstanding. I have volunteered at summer camps, served as medical director at camps for the blind, organized charity and fundraising events, and served as a church musician. I have worked in the healthcare field for 2 years, been the captain and coach of a basketball team, been elected treasurer and vice president of my school's chemistry club, etc. The list goes on.

I am truly confident that, if I can get my foot in the door of an interview office, the battle is won. My LOR are great, and my personal statement has made someone cry. I believe that I am a renaissance man and a great candidate for medical school. There is only one problem: the score remains 25 P.

I have considered DO schools from the very beginning, and decided to stick with MD. Does this MCAT score cancel out all of the other good things? Is it hopeless?

Thanks for reading.

Jon

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd say you're definitely competitive at DO schools with that GPA and not competitive at all at MD schools with that MCAT. Your MCAT is on average with some DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, forgot to include that: 9PS 8VR 8BS

Last edited:
Sorry, forgot to include that: 9PS 8VR 8BS

Your MCAT score is definitely dragging you down for the MD side. Considering that it's getting pretty late in the cycle applying now to MD with a 25 will be a waste of time. I think your best bet is to maybe apply to your state MD schools and a couple more but yeah don't expect much. I'm not trying to be an ass hole but you can't switch from DO to MD when you're scoring a 25 on the MCAT. Had that been a 30 or even a 29 then I would have told you to forget about DO and just go MD. At this point you will have to apply to both DO and MD. Realistically if you want MD- retake and reapply super early next year.

what were you scoring on practice AAMC tests? If you were scoring around a 24-27, then a 25 should be expected.....

That would almost have made this more bearable. I scored exclusively between 28 and 32.

If you haven't applied yet, you are doomed. Actually, even if you applied early, you were probably doomed anyways.

If you really want MD - re-take the MCAT and re-apply next year, and, if you score 30+, you sound like you'll be a good applicant.

However, your comments about your PS, ECs, and interview skillz came off as arrogant in your original post. Just sayin'...

I don't even think that's competitive at DO schools. Here's the thing, especially if your school isn't really ranked, they're going to put more weight on your MCAT. If you've been getting scores 3> higher than that on your practice tests for several tests in a row, you could gain a lot from retaking the MCAT. Even if a school, MD or DO accepts you, it will be a lower tier school than what you could have entered with a 30+. You know your capabilities better than any of us so this is really your call.

BTW, if you haven't taken more than 3 MCATS so far, you need to enroll in Kaplan or PR.

NH14,

point taken about the arrogance. It was written in the context of asking for help, so I hope you will understand. Also, "personal statement has made someone cry" was (supposed to be) satirical. Thanks for the advice!

SFO-IST,

this was my 1st MCAT. I attended a Kaplan review course, but made the mistake of giving myself 50 days to study. I've learned my lesson. Thanks.

He has a really high GPA though.

Chances for DO: High.

Chances for MD: Very low, but possible depending on EC's and general attractiveness.

Recommended course of action: Apply DO, retake MCAT. Work on EC's while applying if you fail to get into DO this year.

Yeah I would say your above average gpa helps your below average mcat for DO schools if you apply now. You have no viable chance at MD this cycle.

Err...I don't think you should apply DO.

I have considered DO schools from the very beginning, and decided to stick with MD.

That means that he should not be going DO. I would retake the MCAT and apply MD next year. You have a good shot if you can score a 30+

Members don't see this ad :)
I say go DO if you have a shot..I don't believe that you have to be passionate about the DO philosophy to attend the schools. If you want to be a doctor and help people then goto a medical school and do it. Knowing the philosophy just gets you through the admissions process and its over 100 years old anyway. The line between MD and DO is blending togethor as time goes on.

#1 thing you can do is study and retake the MCAT. I took it twice and studied for about a year total. First score was a 24 on my kaplan diagnostic and I ended up with a 33 a year later. It makes a huge difference if you put in the time.

#2 thing is wait for next cycle and apply June 1st for the general app and try to prewrite secondaries so you get them in asap. This is my second time applying and most schools reused a majority of their questions.

#3 if anyone else have comments about my view on attending DO school don't bother because I probably won't even go back to this post

honestly, this MCAT score is survivable, even for MD. The thing is, you were looking at applying late this cycle no matter how your MCAT score was going to turn out, as it looks like you had planned all along to wait to submit AMCAS until after the scores came back. You'll be verified in late October - no one wants to do that, even with a great score.

So, two things:

You have a strikingly low chance of being admitted MD for this cycle, but a good chance to be admitted DO, even this late in the game. I'd say you have a 50/50 shot at getting in if you apply early next year to MD schools that aren't picky about MCAT scores, and can manage to interview well.

But honestly, the way forward is to wait a year, keep working on ECs, and study like mad for a MCAT retake next spring. If you can improve the score by just three points, your odds go up dramatically.

Congrats on the awesome GPA, it's really going to help you out here. The best thing about your situation is that a low MCAT is relatively easy to fix.

So glad I posted my predicament. Thank you, everyone, for your brute honesty and / or encouragement.

Here is my plan:

Apply to a few DO schools this round. If I fall in love with a school and get accepted there, I will attend. If I have any reservations (most likely,) I won't attend.

Start studying for the MCAT in early May of 2012, take it in August. Meanwhile, volunteer at hospitals. I would love to take the MCAT earlier, but I know my study habits well enough by now: my undergraduate coursework will not allow me to commit 100% (or even 80%) effort to MCAT stuff. Can I submit an application before test scores are in? If so, I will apply very early next round.

Most 1st year medical students are 23 or 24 years old anyway, right? I need to relax. Applying at age 22 instead of 21 will not kill me.

Thanks again.

So glad I posted my predicament. Thank you, everyone, for your brute honesty and / or encouragement.

Here is my plan:

Apply to a few DO schools this round. If I fall in love with a school and get accepted there, I will attend. If I have any reservations (most likely,) I won't attend.

Start studying for the MCAT in early May of 2012, take it in August. Meanwhile, volunteer at hospitals. I would love to take the MCAT earlier, but I know my study habits well enough by now: my undergraduate coursework will not allow me to commit 100% (or even 80%) effort to MCAT stuff. Can I submit an application before test scores are in? If so, I will apply very early next round.

Most 1st year medical students are 23 or 24 years old anyway, right? I need to relax. Applying at age 22 instead of 21 will not kill me.

Thanks again.

Yes, you can submit your application before your MCAT scores are in. There's nothing stopping you from submitting the day that the app opens for submissions. You'll just be incomplete until your replacement MCAT comes.

However, bear in mind, you'll still be at least 2 months post-opening date if you push your completion time into August. Taking it in January or May would be much more advisable if you can muster it.

I do think you should look long and hard at DO philosophy and schools. At the end of the day, what is this pursuit all about - personal satisfaction or patient care? If it's the former - stick with where your heart leads you. If it's the latter, consider that at the end of the day the letters after your name make no difference. Then again, I'm going DO and biased so take that with a grain of salt.

CopToEM,

I have a great deal of respect for people who chose DO because of the philosophy it entails. I also understand that MD and DO students are trained nearly identically. In fact, I have read that DO students tend to be stronger candidates for certain residencies? I could be wrong.

What I am afraid of is choosing DO as a "safety net" or "plan B" when I have not yet given myself a chance at MD programs. Regardless of the title that a school gives you, it is only worth it if you are 100% committed. Right now, I am committed to becoming an MD. Still, I will give DO a good, hard look.

Here is my plan:

Thanks again.
The problem with your timing is that even if you submit your application on June 1, 2012, you will not be complete at any schools until they have your new MCAT score. Schools will hold on to your application until they get the new score if you indicate a future test date on your application.

So if you take your MCAT in August, you won't get your score back until September. If you do well enough, then it probably won't matter. But if you don't do as well as you would like, you could be faced with the prospect of waiting another year to apply.

I would suggest moving your MCAT date up to June or July at the latest, if you can possibly manage it.

I see. I will schedule the MCAT as early as possible. Willing to do whatever it takes here.

Dude, if you think you can raise your MCAT >3 points, DO NOT APPLY TO ANY SCHOOLS. Medical school is more permanent than marriage, tattoos, even your religious beliefs! Once you're in a med school, that's it - that's your school for life. People make a big deal out of the MCAT, but it's just one test. If you can improve your score, it's worth it to take it again and then apply so you get into schools with greater research opportunities or clinical exposure.

SFO-IST,

Does this mean that applying to schools but not attending will hurt me in the long run? In other words: if I am accepted this round to say, a DO school, but decide not to attend, my chances for next round are worse?

I will definitely give the MCAT another shot. I know that 25 does not reflect my critical thinking ability. I may not be a 43 kind of guy, but I am also not a 25 kind of guy.

I agree that, at that low of a score, it is very possible to perturb the score: But whether in a greater or lesser direction, that depends on the person.

I agree. I had previously not scored below an 8 on any section (except on the first practice test,) and was regularly scoring 28-32 hence why I was so disappointed with my score. Also, for what it's worth, I have only taken 1 semester of bio, and only studied for the MCAT for about 40 days.

If I allow 3-4 months of studying, I truly believe I am capable of a 35. We shall see.

SFO-IST,

Does this mean that applying to schools but not attending will hurt me in the long run? In other words: if I am accepted this round to say, a DO school, but decide not to attend, my chances for next round are worse?

I will definitely give the MCAT another shot. I know that 25 does not reflect my critical thinking ability. I may not be a 43 kind of guy, but I am also not a 25 kind of guy.

The question is: why would you do this? I mean strategically speaking. Why spend >$1000 per acceptance when you take in to consideration the primary, secondary, interview lodging, etc. only to say "well, I want to wait another year" at the end?

Re-applying will drop your chances to 0 at schools that accept you or offer you an interview. It won't matter to the other schools (obviously both statements depends on the individual adcoms).

Basically it boils down to this: are you willing to wait a second year to increase your chances at the schools? There are no guarantees in all this, but you have a stellar GPA and the only thing standing between you and being a rockstar applicant is a friggin test. On the other hand, each year you wait is costing you 130,000-500,000 depending on what specialty you'll match into. On the other-other hand, if you can increase your mcat, you'll likely get into a more prestigious school that can increase the ease of matching into competitive specialties upon graduation.

good luck!

He has a really high GPA though.

Chances for DO: High.

Chances for MD: Very low, but possible depending on EC's and general attractiveness.

Recommended course of action: Apply DO, retake MCAT. Work on EC's while applying if you fail to get into DO this year.

I agree with this, but if you want MD just sit out a year and take Kaplan. Your GPA is awesome.

As previously stated: MD chances are slim to none. You are still competitive for many DO programs.

MCAT only takes 5 hours to fix, GPA could take years.

You should definitely study like crazy for the MCAT, obviously you're capable of a decent score, as your GPA shows.

Agree with most posters. If you want to go to school now, apply DO (assuming you know a little bit about it and have shadowed a DO/gotten a letter from doc) and pray that you get in. If you want to be an MD, sign up to take MCAT again, study like there's no tomorrow, and try to maintain some decent extracurriculars. If you get at least a 28 (27'd be pushing it) apply to all the MD's you can. Best of luck.

Hey -

This is pretty bizarre but you actually sound a lot like me. I got a 25Q on the MCAT, 3.92GPA from a descent school, also volunteer at summer camps and have hospital/research experience.

I applied to over 10 MD schools and have already recieved 4 interviews, all from private schools.

Obviously this isn't the norm and everyone on here is just trying to help but it just goes to show that the score isn't everything. (My best friend also applied with me this year with an MCAT of 33 and hasn't gotten an interview yet..)

FYI I was V06-PS10-BS09-Q for my breakdown.

Good luck!! :)

Hey -

This is pretty bizarre but you actually sound a lot like me. I got a 25Q on the MCAT, 3.92GPA from a descent school, also volunteer at summer camps and have hospital/research experience.

I applied to over 10 MD schools and have already recieved 4 interviews, all from private schools.

Obviously this isn't the norm and everyone on here is just trying to help but it just goes to show that the score isn't everything. (My best friend also applied with me this year with an MCAT of 33 and hasn't gotten an interview yet..)

FYI I was V06-PS10-BS09-Q for my breakdown.

Good luck!! :)

Do you mind sharing which schools you applied to and/or been interviewed at?

Do you mind sharing which schools you applied to and/or been interviewed at?

Not at all. Like I mentioned, I applied to over 10 MD schools and 1 DO school. I won't list them all but most of them were pretty reputable private schools for whatever that's worth. I have interviews at USC Keck, University of Miami, New York Medical College, and Drexel.

Did I ever think I'd get interviews, especially to such big name schools? No. You never know if you don't try.

People have gotten in with worse.

As per usual SDN replies, you have no chance. Ignore them. Your 25 ain't helping ya, but a 3.98/25 is more than possible to gain admittance with.

People have gotten in with worse.

As per usual SDN replies, you have no chance. Ignore them. Your 25 ain't helping ya, but a 3.98/25 is more than possible to gain admittance with.

Well said. If you've worked your butt off in undergrad and have the grades to show it...apply. Even with a less than stellar MCAT score, it could happen if all else is in place. Besides, although many will disagree, a 25 is not a terrible score...I look at it as being more benign. It's certainly not going to be the thing that helps you get in, but its not so ridiculously bad that it will FOR SURE keep you out. That's my opinion, atleast.