25 year old with vision loss

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonaldKenwood

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I'm not studying to be a doctor but am hoping that I can find some answers here. I'm a 25 year old white male with noticeable vision loss. Here is my story:

In the beginning of January, 2012, I noticed that my fiancée could see father than I could while driving. Though I made nothing of it at the time, signs did in fact seem a little blurry. During the next few days, I began to notice more floaters than usual (which I've been living with for 10 years).

A few days later, I woke up with crusty, light sensitive, red eyes (mainly the left eye) which I assumed to be pink eye. I've had conjunctivitis 4-5 times in recent years and immediately made an appointment with my doctor who saw me on January 21st. I was given an eye test, dilated and told that I had blepharoconjunctivitis in my left eye. I was given tobramycin and told to place a warm washcloth on my eyes for relief. This cured my conjunctivitis but even once it cleared up, I noticed that a blood vessel in my choroid which I've had for years had extended towards the center of my eye.

During the next few weeks, distant objects continued to seem a little blurry and on a few occasions, far away objects seemed smaller and zoomed out. I even felt as though I had blind spots. I can't completely blame it on my eyes, but on January 28th, I was in a car accident and found to be 50% at fault. I feel as though I could have prevented the situation had my eyes registered everything faster.

It is important to mention that I have a type A (high strung) personality. I look at a computer screen all day at work and prior to these events, I have smoked marijuana rather habitually. I also drink coffee 2-3 times a day. Years ago, I suffered from anxiety. Needless to say, I have become depressed and am terrified that I'm losing my sight now. To make matters worse, I was forced to drop my classes in school and my father recently had surgery. This has all increased my level of stress considerably.

My eyes have continued to get worse. It has become hard to switch my focus on objects. Faces, for example are sometimes hard to see. Though it comes and goes, I have begun to see blind spots while reading. I have pain behind my eyes which resulted in a headache. Street signs and writing less than a few feet away have become blurry. My eyes get very tired although I'm getting plenty of rest.

I returned to my doctor on February 7th who once again checked my vision, dilated my eyes, and gave me an eye test. Nothing unusual was found. My retina and optic nerve appear "healthy". I am going to see a neural ophthalmologist on the 21st.

Can anyone offer me some input? If nothing else, I could use the peace of mind!

Many thanks in advance...
 
Hello everyone,

I'm not studying to be a doctor but am hoping that I can find some answers here. I'm a 25 year old white male with noticeable vision loss. Here is my story:

In the beginning of January, 2012, I noticed that my fiancée could see father than I could while driving. Though I made nothing of it at the time, signs did in fact seem a little blurry. During the next few days, I began to notice more floaters than usual (which I've been living with for 10 years).

A few days later, I woke up with crusty, light sensitive, red eyes (mainly the left eye) which I assumed to be pink eye. I've had conjunctivitis 4-5 times in recent years and immediately made an appointment with my doctor who saw me on January 21st. I was given an eye test, dilated and told that I had blepharoconjunctivitis in my left eye. I was given tobramycin and told to place a warm washcloth on my eyes for relief. This cured my conjunctivitis but even once it cleared up, I noticed that a blood vessel in my choroid which I've had for years had extended towards the center of my eye.

During the next few weeks, distant objects continued to seem a little blurry and on a few occasions, far away objects seemed smaller and zoomed out. I even felt as though I had blind spots. I can't completely blame it on my eyes, but on January 28th, I was in a car accident and found to be 50% at fault. I feel as though I could have prevented the situation had my eyes registered everything faster.

It is important to mention that I have a type A (high strung) personality. I look at a computer screen all day at work and prior to these events, I have smoked marijuana rather habitually. I also drink coffee 2-3 times a day. Years ago, I suffered from anxiety. Needless to say, I have become depressed and am terrified that I’m losing my sight now. To make matters worse, I was forced to drop my classes in school and my father recently had surgery. This has all increased my level of stress considerably.

My eyes have continued to get worse. It has become hard to switch my focus on objects. Faces, for example are sometimes hard to see. Though it comes and goes, I have begun to see blind spots while reading. I have pain behind my eyes which resulted in a headache. Street signs and writing less than a few feet away have become blurry. My eyes get very tired although I’m getting plenty of rest.

I returned to my doctor on February 7th who once again checked my vision, dilated my eyes, and gave me an eye test. Nothing unusual was found. My retina and optic nerve appear “healthy”. I am going to see a neural ophthalmologist on the 21st.

Can anyone offer me some input? If nothing else, I could use the peace of mind!

Many thanks in advance...

there is no way on earth anybody could diagnose you over the internet, and it is against forum rules to try. Ask your doctors those same questions, and you will get your peace of mind. good luck
 
Status
Not open for further replies.