28O MCAT 3.6GPA 3.5sGPA - what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fluorescing

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a nontraditional applicant. I applied for medical school for the first time in the 2012 for the 2013 AMCAS cycle. I failed to matriculate. I applied at SGU in a panic and was accepted. After researching on the internet, I decided that the most prudent decision is to sit through another application year in the US prior to venturing off to the Caribbean. I will apply through the AMCAS and the AACOMAS this year.

I graduated from college in 2009 with a bachelor of science in neuroscience and history. My GPA is a 3.6, with a 3.5 sGPA and a 3.7 non-science GPA. I completed a honors thesis in neuroscience and have some laboratory experience from that project. Since then, I have worked as a emergency department scribe (>2000 hours of hospital experience) and hold a full-time administrative position at an university office. I do not have any volunteer experience since I work usually over 50 hours per week.

I scored a 28O on my MCAT with a break down of BS 11, VR 9, and PS 8. I am planning a retake in early July.

I made the mistake of not applying early enough last year. I did not submit my AMCAS application until August. I have learned that applying early is key. I will definitely be submitting my application on the first day this year. I have already finished most of my AACOMAS application. I have requested letters, and I have requested transcripts.

Now, I am planning to apply to these schools:
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, Admissions Office, IL
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IA
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MI
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of NYIT, NY
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, WA
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey - School of Osteopathic Medicine, NJ
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, ME

What are my chances? Should I add in more schools? I'm also applying to 15 low-tier MD schools, so I cannot apply to many more DO schools as the cost is prohibitive. Any advice you can give is appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

ETA: I will also have many strong letters of recommendation. I will have 3 strong letters from science professors, one of whom was the PI for my undergraduate research. I have several letters from physicians, with one coming from the Chief of Medicine of the hospital where I am currently employed. I will also have a physician letter from a DO emergency medicine physician.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a nontraditional applicant. I applied for medical school for the first time in the 2012 for the 2013 AMCAS cycle. I failed to matriculate. I applied at SGU in a panic and was accepted. After researching on the internet, I decided that the most prudent decision is to sit through another application year in the US prior to venturing off to the Caribbean. I will apply through the AMCAS and the AACOMAS this year.

I graduated from college in 2009 with a bachelor of science in neuroscience and history. My GPA is a 3.6, with a 3.5 sGPA and a 3.7 non-science GPA. I completed a honors thesis in neuroscience and have some laboratory experience from that project. Since then, I have worked as a emergency department and hold a full-time administrative position at an university office. I do not have any volunteer experience since I work usually over 50 hours per week.

I scored a 28O on my MCAT with a break down of BS 11, VR 9, and PS 8. I am planning a retake in early July.

I made the mistake of not applying early enough last year. I did not submit my AMCAS application until August. I have learned that applying early is key. I will definitely be submitting my application on the first day this year. I have already finished most of my AACOMAS application. I have requested letters, and I have requested transcripts.

Now, I am planning to apply to these schools:
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, Admissions Office, IL
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IA
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MI
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of NYIT, NY
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, WA
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey - School of Osteopathic Medicine, NJ
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, ME

What are my chances? Should I add in more schools? I'm also applying to 15 low-tier MD schools, so I cannot apply to many more DO schools as the cost is prohibitive. Any advice you can give is appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

You chance of an MD school is pretty low if your MCAT is below 30. But your chance at DO school is pretty high. The only negative I see is you said you didn't volunteer. The admissions committe will not look kindly on that.

You chance of an MD school is pretty low if your MCAT is below 30. But your chance at DO school is pretty high. The only negative I see is you said you didn't volunteer. The admissions committe will not look kindly on that.

I understand that is a weakness. I tried to do some projects with Habitat for Humanity last year, but I was working 70 hours per week, with my regular job being a day-time gig and my other job being a night-time gig. It was difficult to squeeze out for going to the gym a few times a week, much less volunteering for 6-8 hours at a time. I can possibly squeeze in some volunteer experience after I retake the MCAT in July and send the schools update letters. Will that make a difference, do you think?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you take a week off and do a significant humanitarian project? (Helping a clinic in Haiti, etc) Then you will avoid having to take a few hours off each week in an otherwise packed schedule.

Your GPA is not high enough for you to have a good chance at a low-tier school with a 28MCAT, but if you get a 30+, you should have a decent chance getting into a low-tier MD program. Luckily, your GPA is high enough that if you get above a 32 this time, you have a great chance of getting into a MD school and a decent chance of getting into a mid-tier school. Good luck!

Can you take a week off and do a significant humanitarian project? (Helping a clinic in Haiti, etc) Then you will avoid having to take a few hours off each week in an otherwise packed schedule.

Your GPA is not high enough for you to have a good chance at a low-tier school with a 28MCAT, but if you get a 30+, you should have a decent chance getting into a low-tier MD program. Luckily, your GPA is high enough that if you get above a 32 this time, you have a great chance of getting into a MD school and a decent chance of getting into a mid-tier school. Good luck!

I am thinking about doing some EC projects after I get this MCAT crap out of the way. I can probably send update letters to all the medical schools I am applying to.

I am aware that my GPA is middle of the road, but my grades do show an upwards trend. I went to a failing public school for high school and scored high enough on the ACT to get into a competitive private university where most of the students are from OOS. So I suffered for the first year and a half, but I managed to graduate with honors anyway. That should count for something, right?