29, 10,10,9. Would you retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ifellinapothole

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
?

Members don't see this ad.

I definelty would not retake especially if you are fine with going to a medical school that isn't top 25. Thats what I have been told. :confused:

what's your gpa? that's key. 3.75-3.8 or above, don't retake -- you'll get in to your state school, i would think

but if you're hovering in 3.5-3.6 land, you might want to think about a retake

Members don't see this ad :)
wetlightning said:
what's your gpa? that's key. 3.75-3.8 or above, don't retake -- you'll get in to your state school, i would think

but if you're hovering in 3.5-3.6 land, you might want to think about a retake

:thumbup: agreed.

It also helps if you are an URM.

haha, well, i wouldn't retake and my gpa is 3.5. the thing is i think the admissions folk might consider that i double majored in electrical and biomedical engineering from duke university. at least i'm hoping they would.

jtank- i like your sig!! very funny.

i wouldn't retake if you aren't expecting to get in to the top 10-25. do you honestly think you can do better? 29 is the average for md matriculants.

I would retake, personally. But the real question you have to ask is, "How much higher can I expect to score?" If it's not much higher, then hell nah don't do it. I would say that for how bad preparing for the MCAT sucks, I would only retake if I knew I would score at least 4 points higher.

willthatsall said:
I would retake, personally. But the real question you have to ask is, "How much higher can I expect to score?" If it's not much higher, then hell nah don't do it. I would say that for how bad preparing for the MCAT sucks, I would only retake if I knew I would score at least 4 points higher.

yeah, precisely, the mcat blows...not an experience to live through again unless you can make significant improvement.

but once again, we still don't know the OP's gpa

Find out your state schools' stats. If a 29 is above the average (it is in my state) then don't retake. If not, I might if you don't have a really great gpa.

I know everyone hates this, but I'm kinda reminded of the gpa*10 + MCAT formula. Let's say the average matriculant is a 3.6*10 + 30 so you are looking for 66. Alright then for a person with a 3.4 maybe an MCAT of 32 could help offset the sorta low gpa and give you a good shot at acceptances... on the flip-side with 3.8 you can have a 28 and still have a great fighting shot.