29 MCAT 3.8 GPA URM... chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mfowler3310

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!!

I am a latina (Cuban), age 25, been working in medical device industry for 3 years (as a product development engineer). I got my B.S. in Biomedical Engineering in 2011 (graduated summa cum laude) and will be getting my M.S. in Mechanical Engineering this May of 2014.

MCAT layout: 10 B, 10 P, 9 V
GPA: 3.82 (3.75 science)

ECS:
- Director of Educational Outreach for the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (for 2 years) --> started an outreach chapter at local high schools to promote science and engineering in underrepresented groups
- Image Analysis Assistant in Neural Lab (2 years)
- World Health Medical Technology Conference: Presented on new third-world device
- Process Engineer Intern at Eli Lilly
- Research in Motion Lab designing new functional activity monitor for pts with Parkinson's (1 year)
- Shadowing (clinical) for 60+ hours in Orthopedics Lab
- Master's thesis is on studying the vertebral endplate to determine if any correlation with disc degeneration
- Running for Charities (Mom has ulcerative colitis so I am very involved with volunteering with Team Challenge, raising over $8000 for Crohn's and Colitis research)

I REALLY want to look at MD schools. My current list...
Albany
BU (undergrad and master's done here)
Drexel
FSU
GWU
Georgetown
Indiana U
Jefferson
MSU
NY Medical College
Penn State
Quinnipiac
St. Louis
Temple
Commonwealth
OSU (Ohio is my residency)
Tufts
Tulane
USUHS (considering military)
U Alabama
UCSF
UConn (not big on OOS, I know... mistake)
UMass
UNC
Virginia Commonwealth

I've already submitted my application but my real question is on if I need to retake the MCATs. I had been doing between a 33-34 on AAMC and I'm currently registered for the 8/22 test date. But this means I wouldn't get my scores back til 9/24 and that is SO late to be considered, no?

So is it better to stick with the 29 now, go for it, and if all else fails, reapply next year OR retake, attempt a better score, and possibly delay my application? Also, are these schools realistic?

Thanks all for your input, it is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Quit fussing and start applying; you're fine. Invest in MSAR to see which schools will be OOS friendly (U AL is not.) UCSF is out of your league, even with URM status. I think your best best will be with all schools around the Great Lakes.

Hi all!!

I am a latina (Cuban), age 25, been working in medical device industry for 3 years (as a product development engineer). I got my B.S. in Biomedical Engineering in 2011 (graduated summa cum laude) and will be getting my M.S. in Mechanical Engineering this May of 2014.

MCAT layout: 10 B, 10 P, 9 V
GPA: 3.82 (3.75 science)

ECS:
- Director of Educational Outreach for the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (for 2 years) --> started an outreach chapter at local high schools to promote science and engineering in underrepresented groups
- Image Analysis Assistant in Neural Lab (2 years)
- World Health Medical Technology Conference: Presented on new third-world device
- Process Engineer Intern at Eli Lilly
- Research in Motion Lab designing new functional activity monitor for pts with Parkinson's (1 year)
- Shadowing (clinical) for 60+ hours in Orthopedics Lab
- Master's thesis is on studying the vertebral endplate to determine if any correlation with disc degeneration
- Running for Charities (Mom has ulcerative colitis so I am very involved with volunteering with Team Challenge, raising over $8000 for Crohn's and Colitis research)

I REALLY want to look at MD schools. My current list...
Albany
BU (undergrad and master's done here)
Drexel
FSU
GWU
Georgetown
Indiana U
Jefferson
MSU
NY Medical College
Penn State
Quinnipiac
St. Louis
Temple
Commonwealth
OSU (Ohio is my residency)
Tufts
Tulane
USUHS (considering military)
U Alabama
UCSF
UConn (not big on OOS, I know... mistake)
UMass
UNC
Virginia Commonwealth

I've already submitted my application but my real question is on if I need to retake the MCATs. I had been doing between a 33-34 on AAMC and I'm currently registered for the 8/22 test date. But this means I wouldn't get my scores back til 9/24 and that is SO late to be considered, no?

So is it better to stick with the 29 now, go for it, and if all else fails, reapply next year OR retake, attempt a better score, and possibly delay my application? Also, are these schools realistic?

Thanks all for your input, it is much appreciated!

Cubans are not generally considered under-represented in medicine, though any additional language skills will be viewed favorably. That said, your list has 11 or 12 schools where you have a fair to good chance of an interview! Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Quit fussing and start applying; you're fine. Invest in MSAR to see which schools will be OOS friendly (U AL is not.) UCSF is out of your league, even with URM status. I think your best best will be with all schools around the Great Lakes.

I have to disagree that UCSF is out of your league. I applied with the same GPA/MCAT and was awarded with a secondary. If the rest of your app is strong, don't be afraid to add a few "long shots."

Best of luck!

To quote my learned colleague LizzyM, "secondaries are a tax on the hopelessly optimistic."

I have to disagree that UCSF is out of your league. I applied with the same GPA/MCAT and was awarded with a secondary. If the rest of your app is strong, don't be afraid to add a few "long shots."

Best of luck!

To quote my learned colleague LizzyM, "secondaries are a tax on the hopelessly optimistic."

When UCSF only hands out around ~1500 and they choose someone within the poster's stats, I wouldn't tell them it's out of their league. Also, I'm non-URM.

Best of luck!
I'm afraid I have to agree that UCSF is a real long shot for OP.