2nd--->3rd year timeline help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sweatshirt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have some questions that some of the older year students could answer. Currently in the second semester of second year, prepping for boards this summer. Once boards is done, we start 3rd year the next day. After that...
When do we apply for externships?
How does one apply for externships/how soon do you hear back?
When do you need letters of rec by/when is a good time to start asking for letters of rec?

Thanks, this is stuff they haven't really told us yet but I feel like I should know

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure you are going to hear this 10 fold, but rite now focus on boards really needs to be your number one priority.
Clerkship applications were due something like Sept 25th although they gave us over a month to fill out our application, resume, and rank programs. After the first round of ranking it takes a few days to hear back and then round two begins and so on.
During your clerkship year you will have another round of boards and interviews in January. Letter of recommendations come into play during the interview process.
I don't know which school you are at, but in general the schools do a very good job of preparing you for the process. If you don't know what to expect yet its likely because the school wants your priority to be on boards as it should be!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure you are going to hear this 10 fold, but rite now focus on boards really needs to be your number one priority.
Clerkship applications were due something like Sept 25th although they gave us over a month to fill out our application, resume, and rank programs. After the first round of ranking it takes a few days to hear back and then round two begins and so on.
During your clerkship year you will have another round of boards and interviews in January. Letter of recommendations come into play during the interview process.
I don't know which school you are at, but in general the schools do a very good job of preparing you for the process. If you don't know what to expect yet its likely because the school wants your priority to be on boards as it should be!
Hey guys, I have some questions that some of the older year students could answer. Currently in the second semester of second year, prepping for boards this summer. Once boards is done, we start 3rd year the next day. After that...
When do we apply for externships?
How does one apply for externships/how soon do you hear back?
When do you need letters of rec by/when is a good time to start asking for letters of rec?

Thanks, this is stuff they haven't really told us yet but I feel like I should know
Yep. Focus on boards. You're not going to have any clerkships if you don't pass.

Reactions: 1 user