2nd Bachelor's Degree vs. Post-Bacc

Started by mbernard
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mbernard

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What are the merits of pursing either a 2nd Bachelor's Degree or Post-Bacc? Please take into account finances (federal aid, private loans, etc.).
 
One benefit of some post-baccalaureate programs is the linkage. My post-baccalaureate program was at Scripps, where if you finished in May with at least some minimum GPA and got a minimum score on the MCAT, you could start medical school in August at Drexel, Temple, George Washington, or Western. Last I heard, the director of the program was discussing the possibility of a linkage with University of Chicago. Wish that'd been around when I was in the program!
 
I'm doing the second degree program at BU for two primary reasons...

1) my science background is too strong, so I have not been a candidate for many post-bacc programs; while there are students who need post-baccs to help fulfill all the pre-med reqs +... while I only need 4.

2) To my knowledge, a majority of post-bacc programs don't offer financial aid... that has played a significant role in my decision, I would've done a post-bacc at BU, but I would not have been eligible for financial aid... and given the current state of the economy....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From what I understand, your undergraduate GPA follows you with a 2nd bachelor's degree. Is that also the case for post-bacc's? Assuming that your post-bacc has a linkage agreement, would that be especially true?
 
Not sure how linkages at other postbac programs work, but at Scripps, if you link, the medical school only requires that you maintain a specified GPA in the program, which is not combined with your undergrad GPA.

If you don't link, then your undergrad GPA definitely follows you... just speaking from experience!
 
Not sure how linkages at other postbac programs work, but at Scripps, if you link, the medical school only requires that you maintain a specified GPA in the program, which is not combined with your undergrad GPA.

If you don't link, then your undergrad GPA definitely follows you... just speaking from experience!

Did they drop the pitt linkage?