2nd iteration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adnexa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just thought I'd post my experience as a Canadian who went to Australia to study medicine (Sydney Uni). Before I left for Sydney, I was really apprehensive about what my options would be after graduation. I really wanted to come back to Canada for residency training. My backup plan was to stay in Oz.

In my fourth year I wrote the MCCEE and began collecting references for my Carms application. I did my electives and one rotation in Canada, which allowed me to get some Canadian references- very good for the Carms application. I also began calling residency program directors and sending resumes and cover letters to my programs of interest in Canada.

I applied to the second iteration this year and matched to my specialty of choice. I'm pretty happy to say the least!

Anyways, just wanted to let people know that it can be done...and not to get too down about the Carms stats. Unfortunately there aren'y many specialties to choose from, but this the risk you must accept before heading overseas.

Members don't see this ad.