2nd look advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thepassageofgas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does one go about setting up a "second look" ? What do these sessions typically entail?

is it stupid to do a 2nd look at a place your rotated? I spent four weeks at a place that is way over my head in terms of competitiveness--but they gave me an interview anyway. Do I do a "second look", even though I certainly know everything a typical day there entails? I know I have basically no chance, but the idea of working there keeps popping into head and I can't squelch the hope just yet. Would a second look be disingenuous?

:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

my opinion, take it for what it is worth,

2nd looks are for your benefit, not the programs. There is no opportunity to "show your stuff" , and you may or may not see anyone important that day. I think it highly unlikely that you will move up on a rank list by doing a 2nd look. You will get a cursory lunch out of it, and you may get to talk to the PD/PD-lite, but if you spent a month there already, I think its a waste of time and $$. If you are trying to choose between programs, the 2nd look may allow you to get some questions answered and look at a few things in more detail, but that is about it.

as far as setting one up, if you spent a month at a place, you should have left with a way to contact the program directors or their secretary. That would be a place to start.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does one go about setting up a "second look" ? What do these sessions typically entail?

is it stupid to do a 2nd look at a place your rotated? I spent four weeks at a place that is way over my head in terms of competitiveness--but they gave me an interview anyway. Do I do a "second look", even though I certainly know everything a typical day there entails? I know I have basically no chance, but the idea of working there keeps popping into head and I can't squelch the hope just yet. Would a second look be disingenuous?

:eek:

you would look like a complete weirdo doing a second look at a place you already rotated at

I've looked into this extensively after helping a relative through the match and, no, 2nd looks won't help you. A derm PD actually told me it can be an annoyance.