2nd Pass Uworld average 66%

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orestis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

So about a month ago I finished my first pass of uworld with the pretty disappointing 54-55%(mostly random and tutor mode) on average. Now I am in the 2nd pass of uworld(always random and tutor mode), I finished 25% of it and my average is 66%. Using some websites etc. it seems that this 66% correlates to high 230s to low 240s. I just don't know if this is something reliable that I could trust.
What I find weird is that until the last day I finished my 1st pass of uworld I would struggle to get 50-60% in each test.After that I had a break from uworld for about 10 days and I started my second pass. In almost every test I score 60-65%+. I do not remember the questions(except really few from the behavioral sciences, bioethics part).

So my question is: Does that 66% mean that I am in a good way of scoring around 240? Or do these correlation websites are wrong?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys,

So about a month ago I finished my first pass of uworld with the pretty disappointing 54-55%(mostly random and tutor mode) on average. Now I am in the 2nd pass of uworld(always random and tutor mode), I finished 25% of it and my average is 66%. Using some websites etc. it seems that this 66% correlates to high 230s to low 240s. I just don't know if this is something reliable that I could trust.
What I find weird is that until the last day I finished my 1st pass of uworld I would struggle to get 50-60% in each test.After that I had a break from uworld for about 10 days and I started my second pass. In almost every test I score 60-65%+. I do not remember the questions(except really few from the behavioral sciences, bioethics part).

So my question is: Does that 66% mean that I am in a good way of scoring around 240? Or do these correlation websites are wrong?

I think those score correlations are more for your first pass. But I would trust your NBMEs, as they more or less correlate for most people.

Good luck on your step.

Reactions: 2 users
So I just finished my Uworld Sim 1. I scored 230. Some people say that it usually over predicts your result, some say it does not. What do you guys think?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a bit confused. Most of the people in forums they say that Uworld Sim forms overpredict, but most of these posts are 5-8 years old. Only recept ones I found are one reddit post from 2016 which says that 230 in Sim form is somewhere around 240 and a usmle calculator from clinical review(can't post link) says 239(SD=16). @MrWonderful do you speak from recent experiences?

Every single person I knew who took one last year said it overpredicted their score. Take it for what you will

Reactions: 1 user
So I guess only way to find is to take the exam. I know that saying "overpredicts" or "predicts" etc. is not 100% correct since everyone is doing these tests in different levels of preparation. I just wanted to know if I have any chances. Thanks anyway. After I taking the test(January) and receiving the results I will post them here

For me, UWorld bank score didn't mean much other than to let me know that I learned the stuff to answer the question correctly the next time. Between NBME and UWSA, UWSA predicted my score on the dot. NBME underpredicted my score and freaked the hell out of me.. making me postpone the exam

Same for me for the most part. My UWSA 1 predicted my score. My UWSA 2 and all my NBMEs really underpredicted my score and caused me a lot of panicking and stress. I think it just varies from person to person for these practice tests. However, I felt like my USMLE step 1 test format and style was more similar to the NBME tests than UWorld qbank, and I have heard the opposite from my classmates.

Thank you for the info guys. I finished uworld 2nd pass yesterday with 71%. This week I will do some extra NBMEs

Higher your uWorld 1st pass the more indicative it is of a higher score. Second passes are clouded by remember questions etc. As others have mentioned, the latest release of the NBME practice tests will approximate your score and readiness the best. Once you have a satisfactory score on the NBME, take your exam within 2 weeks or you risk forgetting material. One thing to note, don't take your exam if you don't get around your goal score on the NBME, that is simply setting yourself up for disappointment majority of the time.

NBMEs were more predictive for me but still overestimated my score. I was a bit north of where you are and ended up with a score in the mid-220s, but I also have crippling test anxiety so ymmv

Reactions: 1 users
this week I did 18 and 19. nbme 18: 211 and nbme 19: 223. Everyone says that 19 underestimates for most of the people by 10-15 points. I hope they re right :).

Hello people, just wanted to say that I scored 228. From averaging the scores I got in my 4 NBMEs, 2 Uworld Sim Forms, 2nd pass Uworld and free NBME I was expecting something between 230 and 240.

Reactions: 5 users
It over-predicts. The only good predictors are the NBME exams

This has not been my experience. The NBMEs, particularly the later forms, grossly under-predict scores for many students (particularly for high scorers). The UWorld SIM forms tend to slightly over-predict.

I find your experience very similar to mine. I'm finishing up Uworld second pass and I'm averaging around 75%.
Did you go over Uworld after that? Or did you just dive straight into the NBMEs?

usually over predict. you need to make sure you study well regardless and be well prepared. Check our Dr Jamal's USMLE notes, they are helpful for last minute review and would enable you to remember more of the high yield difficult questions

All the NBMEs and SAs overestimated my Step 1 score, but I was still ok with it. Everyone is different. Over-predicts for some, under-predicts for others..

Even the NBMEs can underpredict in certain circumstances, I see that most commonly in those with severe test-taking anxiety. For most students, NBMEs overpredict, particularly the later ones.

I find your experience very similar to mine. I'm finishing up Uworld second pass and I'm averaging around 75%.
Did you go over Uworld after that? Or did you just dive straight into the NBMEs?
I finished the second pass. While I was doing it i did a couple of NBMEs and after finishing it I did the rest