2nd residency in Rads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pugsly

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Just wondering if anyone has done a seconf residency in Rads after a residency in IM or if you know of someone who has done that....i just wanted to know about the pros and cons of doing this....thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Happens all the time. Some people eventually see the light. :D

I know of 1 IM and 2 ortho docs who switched after completing or nearly completing their residencies.

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has done a seconf residency in Rads after a residency in IM or if you know of someone who has done that....i just wanted to know about the pros and cons of doing this....thanks.

Yeah, I'd say (Unofficially) radiology is probably the most common "second residency". It's a very common thing to see (although less now since slots are so competitive among direct allopathic grads).

Nobody is going to look down in radiology for doing it because it's so common and radiology is a very accepting field without much pretention (in my experience).

As for pros and cons, the pro is you're a radiologist the con is that you're going to have extended training but it's worth it if being a radiologist is what you really want. You'll also have some additional clinical training that can be useful, but not such an advantage that it'd be worth PLANNING on completing an internal medicine residency before switching instead of just going direct out of med school.

Members don't see this ad :)

So far, I have met 2 ex-general surgery residents, 1 ex-ophtho resident, 1 ex-pathology resident, 1 ex-psych resident, 1 ex-family medicine attending, 1 ex-surgery attending, 2 ex-EM attendings and 1 "ex"-neurology attending.

Outside of the neurology attending, I think all of them just got tired of their jobs and wanted something different. The neurology attending ended up becoming an INR that self-refers patients for coiling/onyx.

I'm trying to understand how doing a second residency would work. First of all, this is different from switching your specialty during residency in, for example, family medicine. I've heard that funding is an issue when switching during residency. Does that mean that if you complete one residency, then do another residency that you get new funding for the second residency? Also, let's say that you're not the most competitive applicant for radiology now; would having completed one residency move the focus away from board scores and class ranks in the hunt for the second residency since, presumably, you'd be successfully licensed in one specialty?

I'm trying to understand how doing a second residency would work. First of all, this is different from switching your specialty during residency in, for example, family medicine. I've heard that funding is an issue when switching during residency. Does that mean that if you complete one residency, then do another residency that you get new funding for the second residency? Also, let's say that you're not the most competitive applicant for radiology now; would having completed one residency move the focus away from board scores and class ranks in the hunt for the second residency since, presumably, you'd be successfully licensed in one specialty?
I'm not sure of the specifics with regard to funding. I think in many cases a residency program has to eat the difference (i.e. they pay for the resident's salary instead of using government money). Especially if someone had already surpassed a set number of years of training. So in a sense, you would need to prove to the residency program that you're worth the added expense.

I doubt having a license in another specialty would provide you with any advantage in obtaining a second residency. Every person I know of that switched had already been qualified to obtain the second specialty prior to starting any post-graduate training. It wasn't as if they weren't strong enough candidates to get into radiology after medical school, they just chose to pursue something else.