2nd time applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCSMILES

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, its official I will not be starting dental school next year. I heard back from all of the schools I applied to and all were rejections. As you can probably guess, I am down in the dumps now. However, I was curious how many of you current dental students had to apply more than once to get in to dental school? Also what is your advice on how to keep in the mental "game of applying to dental school"? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get in to a dental school. Rejection can be tough, but just learn from your mistakes and expierences. The only advice that I can give you to keep you in the mental game is that keep on pushing your self to do your best. It might to hard at first, but the motivation will come as you go along. I am sure that you are really worried and little bit discouraged about not getting, but dont worry about about it too much. I have been through a similiar situation .I remember during my undergrad when I took my first science classes. It was hell, i remember studing really hard for my first bio exam and all i could muster out was a C. As I took more classes, I learned how to study and improved on my habits. Well my point is that,not all of us are born with talent, but that doesnt stop us from being the best at what we do, we just have to work a bit harder. I am sure there are a ton of people in your position that didnt get to a dental school. If you put your mind to it i am sure that you will get in next year! Keep smiling, be persistent, and stay positive; :) 3 things that will make you a sucess anywhere you go!!

Yeah, I, too am sorry to hear that you will not be attending dental school this year, but remember that doesn't mean ever.

My advice to you is to call a few schools were you were interviewed at and ask to speak to an admissions committee member to see where you were the weakest in your application and try to improve that or those areas during this year. If you did not receive any interviews than again, call and see why you were not even considered for one.

No, let me ask you....were your DAT scores low? How about your GPA? Did you apply to many "safe"schools? There is always a way to improve your application to make you stand out a little more, and believe me, a year is a long time to get things done.

So spend this year applying and improving your application.

Best Wishes,

Claudia:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to school twice - first time no interviews. Second time got into my choice. In the interim (4 years), earned a masters degree, improved myDAT significantly, and worked as a research assistant. Don't give up.

to ncsmiles:

If dental school is what you want, persist! Re-evaluate your application and see what weakness needs to be addressed, then do it.

I didn't get in until my second attempt.

I am re-applying, and feel more confident this time round. I learned my lesson, and improved my stats considerably. It was a difficult experience figuring out which school will consider me, but knowing what happend last cycle - I am smiling through this cycle. :D

Hey man, I'm with you too! My application for 2004 wasn't under the best circumstances (long story), so I'm also applying again for 2005. My consolation has been that I'll have a year to enjoy being virtually out of school and learning whatever I want, and a year to learn things that will help me in dental school (e.g., study methods, speed reading, tooth carving, etc.). Keep at it, and apply early. This year will fly. :thumbup:

Typo

Which schools are you applying to?

Mo007, definitely UOP (first choice) and Loma Linda - I haven't decided definitely on the others. How about you? Were you invited to interview at any schools last year? What have you done to improve?

Typo

I want to stay in the midwest - want to stay close to my family and friends. I was offered interview at UofL, but had personal circumstances which wouldn't allow to me to go to D-school this year, but I sure would have got in there if it wasn't for the personal matters.

This cycle (2005), I am shooting for OSU, Case, UMich, Tufts and Nova.

Your stats must be pretty strong to go for UOP - I think if you hit the cycle end of May, you should be set. I don't know much about Loma Linda - except they have religion requirements (LORs).

Good Luck

All great advise above.

A close buddy of mine, had a low gpa (<2.8), did 2 science degrees, but great Dat's. He applied 3 years to nearly every school in the US, but didnt get in or even an interview. His dad was a dentist, so him going to Dschool was a family concern. He helped me out a lot with my first time applying last year, so i owe him. Anyways, last year was our year... we both got in!! I prayed a lot for him. And now? He is in the top 15-20% of his class... the guy who was rejected from 25+ schools, THRICE.

Its just words right now, but keep pushing yourself, dont get discouraged. And when you do get in... the fruits of your labour will taste even sweeter! All the best to you for the next cycle! There are tons of awesome, deserving people like yourself who deserve to get a chance to show what they're capable of... dont give up!!!

claudiadent said:
Yeah, I, too am sorry to hear that you will not be attending dental school this year, but remember that doesn't mean ever.

My advice to you is to call a few schools were you were interviewed at and ask to speak to an admissions committee member to see where you were the weakest in your application and try to improve that or those areas during this year. If you did not receive any interviews than again, call and see why you were not even considered for one.

No, let me ask you....were your DAT scores low? How about your GPA? Did you apply to many "safe"schools? There is always a way to improve your application to make you stand out a little more, and believe me, a year is a long time to get things done.

So spend this year applying and improving your application.

Best Wishes,

Claudia:)

Claudia,

Thanks for the advice about calling schools to find out what was the major weakness in my application. I have talked to one school so far and the weaknesss was definitely my DAT scores. My gpa was decent (~3.5) and I have a M.S. degree and been out of grad school working in the research field for a couple of years. My DAT was definitely poor and something I was afraid of the first time around. I know I have to buckle down and study hard for that devil!

I applied to UNC (my home state school), Temple, Tufts, UKy, UL and VCU.

Thanks to others that gave advice on sticking to it and persuing the dream!

To the OP, definitely stay motivated. I didn't get in until my second try either.

Like others said, find out your weaknesses. Look over your AADSAS info, call the adcoms, and pinpoint where you need improvement most. Also improve where you're fairly strong, as well as show the adcoms your dedication to this profession.

I don't know your exact information, but to give you an idea of what I mean my 1st attempt I had an overall GPA that was ok, and my science GPA was a joke. It was so low I don't know why I was encouraged to apply by my school's Health Promotions Committee. However, my DAT score was fairly good, strong PAT and OK Science. Within the one year I had to bring my grades up I turned my minor into a second major, picked up a minor, took the harder upper level courses for my two majors, and I did as well as I could in all of them. Stayed motivated and worked extremely hard to acheive the grades I needed to show that I've been constantly improving my performance and truly am capable academically. My GPA barely increased from those grades, and I knew it wouldn't, so I also retook my DAT and grossly improved on my sciences and continued to shadow a dentist some more, simply to make myself more competitive.

Showing the adcoms that you are serious about this career path can be acheived by taking that extra step in taking harder courses than you need to and improving in as many aspects as you can. Continue to search for other ways that show your dedication, and keep persistant. This is what you need to do in both the short and long term. And don't make up any excuses with your failures in the past. Accept them, and let the adcoms know that you're mature enough to realize your own faults, but also let them know that you're mature enough to have learned from them.

EDIT: you posted as I was typing this up. Well, your GPA is great, so you're already ahead. Did you happen to take Biochemistry yet, because many schools now require that to get accepted as well. Definitely study hard for the DAT, but what exposure do you have to dentistry? Whether or not you have shadowed or worked at a dental practice, branch out and see what else you can expose yourself to.