2nd time applying and 3rd time DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyeball87

eyeball
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I haven't been on here in ages but it's about time I'm back since I'm applying again and writing the DAT again in 2 months. I haven't contributed much in the past but I will now because this forum has been very useful :D

My Experience:
- 1st time writing the DAT was horrible. I forget the exact scores it was that bad, all scores were below 20. I think I had 18/17/18 or something like that.
-> I didn't study much, that's why the terrible scores.

- 2nd time DAT (June 2009): 21/23/20 (AA/TS/PAT) - Awesome scores I know, but I bombed the QR section -> 14 :mad:

I received 2 interviews: NYU and BU but didn't get in.

I'm applying again next cycle and writing the DAT for the THIRD time in 2 months. I will conquer the damn QR section this time. There's a calculator now so hopefully that will make things easier.

I have a masters now too so that should help as well. I had 3.4 undergrad gpa btw.

Is anyone here in a similar situation??

Members don't see this ad.

Hey folks,

I haven't been on here in ages but it's about time I'm back since I'm applying again and writing the DAT again in 2 months. I haven't contributed much in the past but I will now because this forum has been very useful :D

My Experience:
- 1st time writing the DAT was horrible. I forget the exact scores it was that bad, all scores were below 20. I think I had 18/17/18 or something like that.

- 2nd time DAT (June 2009): 21/23/20 (AA/TS/PAT) - Awesome scores I know, but I bombed the QR section -> 14 :mad:

I'm applying again next cycle and writing the DAT for the THIRD time in 2 months. I will conquer the damn QR section this time. There's a calculator now so hopefully that will make things easier.

I have a masters now too so that should help as well. I had 3.4 undergrad gpa btw.

I originally took my DAT in 2009 without a calculator and made like a 16 on QR. Then I retook it when they introduced the calculator and made a 22. I barely studied any more math then when I originally took it. So I think your score will improve a lot as long as your'e decent at math. It's easier to plug and chug now :laugh:

How many schools did you apply to?

Hey folks,

My Experience:

I'm in a similar situation as you except you still out performed me on your DAT the second time, I did poor on my three attempts. You can read more about my story at the link provided. I thought I prepared well for my third attempt but I guess not. I really don't know if schools would even consider me if I were to take it a fourth time and don't think I can pull off a 23+ score. Good luck to you!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=862611

Members don't see this ad :)
hey eyeball87. If you are still waiting to hear from BU in this cycle, the waitlist is moving down quick, so don't lose hope just yet.

Hey folks,

My Experience:

What's your sGPA? When did you apply? How many schools did you apply to? Your DAT is fine. even a 14 in QR is overshadowed by a 21 AA, I dont see why you would retake the DAT vs. assessing all other problem areas.

My sGPA is 3.5.
I applied in 2009 for the 2010 entrance cycle to around 8 schools. I'm Canadian btw.

14 on QR is really low. My interviewer at NYU asked me why I had such a low score on QR. I thought the interview went well though. I guess you are right it could be other factors.

My application is pretty stellar imo. However, my fourth year undergad was terrible along with 1st year. I did really well 2nd and 3rd year. That could've been a factor as well.

I have the usual shadowing experience, extracurricular, research experience and etc.

What's your sGPA? When did you apply? How many schools did you apply to? Your DAT is fine. even a 14 in QR is overshadowed by a 21 AA, I dont see why you would retake the DAT vs. assessing all other problem areas.

I really don't see that DAT is what is holding you either. Your DAT is fine.

My sGPA is 3.5.
I applied in 2009 for the 2010 entrance cycle to around 8 schools. I'm Canadian btw.

14 on QR is really low. My interviewer at NYU asked me why I had such a low score on QR. I thought the interview went well though. I guess you are right it could be other factors.

My application is pretty stellar imo. However, my fourth year undergad was terrible along with 1st year. I did really well 2nd and 3rd year. That could've been a factor as well.

I have the usual shadowing experience, extracurricular, research experience and etc.

ok so you're real problem is that your Canadian. Most schools don't accept any or less than a handful of Canucks. I would look thru this site and find Canada friendly schools like BU and NYU and reapply to those next year if necessary.

If you retake the DAT and score less than a 21AA and 23TS you will look a lot worse. Again when did you apply this cycle what month to be exact? and how many schools are on your list?

I didn't apply this cycle... just preparing for the next cycle in advance!

Btw, I think you're right about the Canadian issue.
That's why I need to write the DAT again too because I'm competing with other Canadians/International students. So if they have better overall scores, they win over me.

That's why I need to write the DAT again too because I'm competing with other Canadians/International students. So if they have better overall scores, they win over me.

To be honest I dont think you need to retake your DAT at all, you GPA + DAT are beautiful.

You can calll some schools and ask them about the QR.

Call Louisville, make an appointment with Dr. Benningfields. She will tell you what you need to know...

You should apply early like June 1st next cycle and make sure you apply to Canada friendly schools. You're also taking a huge risk retaking the DAT because you probably wont get a 21 again. I'd leave the DAT alone and just apply next cycle. There's absolutely no need to retake. Even a 14 in QR gets acceptances.

I have also taken the DAT 3 times and this cycle was my second year applying....after this month I will have had 7 interviews and I have been accepted to two schools so far and wait-listed at 2 and have no rejections as opposed to 1 interview my first attempt...I would say you definitely have a great shot!! Good luck!!

Have you ever had anyone judge your interviewing ability? That may be the problem since you actually got interviews.

I think you would have to retake DAT not because your scores are low or anything, but your DAT will expire for most schools (2-3 yrs) by the time you apply next year.
I know it sucks having to go through it all over again coz I wrote DAT 5 times in total (4 times CDAT and 1 American DAT).