2nd time applying

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by doctermined, 05.20.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. doctermined

doctermined 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hi everyone,

I need your advice. I applied last cycle to 5 schools and got 1 interview, waitlisted and haven't heard back from one school, did not get into my state school because of my DAT (reading cutoff at 18).

Stats:
    GPA cum 3.25
    sGPA 3.05

DAT 1st time
    AA (20) TS (19) Bio (17) OC (24) GC(20) RC (17) QR(20) PAT (19)

Will be retaking the DAT sometime in August, taking a prep course which ends on the 22nd of August.
    I heard that with my stats, I should apply early like in June and broadly. However, most schools don't consider your application complete until your final DAT score. Should I submit my app in June, or wait until my retake to submit? I plan on applying to 10+ schools this time. I have over 300+ hours of community service, 250 shadowing, and leadership experience. Looking forward to hearing from you all, thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. predentalhopeful2015

predentalhopeful2015

Pre-Dental
    I would submit earlier so that the DAT is the last thing to come in and you're not waiting on things like grade verification.

The more significant questions, though: 1) how much luck did you have this past cycle? 2) did you evaluate and communicate with schools about the weaknesses in your application? 3) how have you changed your application significantly enough that you think you will be accepted this time?

Just from what I see, 3.05 is a really low sGPA.

Last edited: 05.20.14
  4. doctermined

Dental Student
    Last cycle, I really rushed things by taking my DAT with 15 credits of classes, asking professors that I didn't really know for letters, and not putting enough thoughts into my ps. I received general rejection letters from the other schools like consider a master if grades are not good or retake the DAT. Over the year, I did more volunteering and took more classes, but my grades are somewhat the same. I will be graduating in June and hoping to work as a dental assistant after that...

5. predentalhopeful2015

predentalhopeful2015

Pre-Dental
    I don't know what you should do, but I hope someone more experienced than me can answer your questions!

6. Glimmer1991

Glimmer1991 SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If you don't take the DAT until after your class ends, your scores won't be in to AADSAS until mid-September. Especially as a reapplicant, that is really late. Why are you putting yourself in that position? You don't need a prep class--all of the resources you could possibly need are detailed on this site. I would not take the DAT any later than mid-July. I know this is harsh, but I think you are shooting yourself in the foot by applying that late. You are already fighting an uphill battle because of your GPA.

7. doctermined

Dental Student
    So should I just not apply this cycle? That means I would take 2 years off. I need the prep class to help with reading and I'm sure I can do better than 20AA! I talked to a dental school rep at health career fair and she said to fax in the new DAT as soon as I finish retaking it.

8. Glimmer1991

Glimmer1991 SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Are you taking Kaplan?

9. doctermined

Dental Student
    No, I'm not taking KaplanKaplan

10. stag123

stag123 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    My advice to you is when you retake your DAT, take it in the beginning of August, so your application would be complete by mid-august. (mid september is way too late).

So idk, screw the prep course in the last couple of weeks? Haha. If you retake your DAT and do well, AND apply broad, I think you have a good chance. I read a lot that people with low 3.0s and have high DATs have a decent chance of getting in somewhere. June/ July is IDEAL in your case, but if you cant make it happen then do early august. I believe you'd still have a good chance.

11. LaughingGas

LaughingGas 5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Lower the gpa, you want to apply to more schools. 15+ , shotgun approach.

12. doctermined

Dental Student
    I feel like I need more time to practice reading though and since I already paid for the prep course, might as well finish it. A lot of schools care about RC and have cut offs at 18. Even if I do well in other sections and not reading, I can't apply to those 18 RC schools.

13. stag123

stag123 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    That's true, you did pay for it. I'm sure you can improve 1 point from your RC.

14. predentalhopeful2015

predentalhopeful2015

Pre-Dental
  15. Silent Cool

Silent Cool Member Banned 10+ Year Member

Apply to as many schools as you possibly can. That's a lot more than 10.

16. doc toothache

doc toothache 10+ Year Member

Dentist

You keep mentioning cutoff at the magic number of 18. Can you provide a list of schools and links where it states that there is a cutoff?

17. doctermined

Dental Student
    Both Midwestern schools : Submit competitive scores on the Dental Aptitude Test (DAT). Scores in the area of 18 or higher will be expected for the Academic Average, Reading Comprehension, and Perceptual Ability sections.

Case Western-read it on some brochure
    UW-admission officer

18. doc toothache

doc toothache 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Maybe it is just a question of semantics, but there is a difference between a "minimum" and "expected". All schools "expect" a DAT scores of 18 or higher, but apparently are willing to settle for a heck of a lot less. (Pending post on range of DAT/GPA.)

Midwestern CA has an AA range of 16-24; PA 15-26, TS 16-24
    Midwestern Illinois- AA 17-22; PA 15-23; TS 15-23
    Case-AA 15-26; PA 14-27; TS 15-27
    Washington- AA 18-29; PA 15-27; TS 17-30.

stag123 likes this.

About the ads