• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

2nd year PhD student applying to MD PhD programs

Unconditionalloves

Apr 27, 2020
West Coast
  1. Pre-Medical
I am a 2nd year PhD student however my PI during the first year left the university and l was forcerd to chose a different one. My new lab is a total joke.. my plan was always to do my PhD and apply to medical school right after instead of a traditional MD/PHD.. now o have decided the wait is pointless and I am applying to hot MD only and MD/PHD programs... has anyone seen this done successfully in the past? I will appreciate your advice.
GPA 3.8 Sci GPA 3.9
MCAT pending Grad only GPA 3.7 Non-traditional with 6 years of research experience both in academia and industry 2 abstracts 1 publication.
2.5 years of clinical experience including 6 months of direct patient care on a community-based clinic.
2 travel awards
Undergrad student leadership appointments Undergrad diverse community volunteer experiences ~6 months
Bilingual
Thank you for your help...
@Fencer

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2002
the beach
  1. Attending Physician
Need MCAT score to comment on your chances.

I think most MD/PhD programs are reluctant to take someone actively within a graduate program. Can you switch to graduate with an MS without burning any bridges? This will help wrap things up for applying MD/PhD.

Seihai

The dog is always the real hero.
2+ Year Member
May 24, 2017
I am a 2nd year PhD student however my PI during the first year left the university and l was forcerd to chose a different one. My new lab is a total joke.. my plan was always to do my PhD and apply to medical school right after instead of a traditional MD/PHD.. now o have decided the wait is pointless and I am applying to hot MD only and MD/PHD programs... has anyone seen this done successfully in the past? I will appreciate your advice.
GPA 3.8 Sci GPA 3.9
MCAT pending Grad only GPA 3.7 Non-traditional with 6 years of research experience both in academia and industry 2 abstracts 1 publication.
2.5 years of clinical experience including 6 months of direct patient care on a community-based clinic.
2 travel awards
Undergrad student leadership appointments Undergrad diverse community volunteer experiences ~6 months
Bilingual
Thank you for your help...
@Fencer

Can you get a terminal masters from your graduate program? This will honestly largely depend on your MCAT score. Are you planning to apply this cycle (as in the one starting in a few weeks)?

If your school has an MD-PhD program, they will likely be your best bet for applying internally.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Unconditionalloves

Apr 27, 2020
West Coast
  1. Pre-Medical
Need MCAT score to comment on your chances.

I think most MD/PhD programs are reluctant to take someone actively within a graduate program. Can you switch to graduate with an MS without burning any bridges? This will help wrap things up for applying MD/PhD.
I already have a masters from a different university, I might get an exit masters but will depend on whether I get admitted to medical school this cycle or not, and grad division approves the switch given that I already have an MS in a similar filed. I will not be burning the bridge if I leave. I am thinking to just apply to MD only programs and find an alternative Physician Scientist Training Path.

Unconditionalloves

Apr 27, 2020
West Coast
  1. Pre-Medical
Can you get a terminal masters from your graduate program? This will honestly largely depend on your MCAT score. Are you planning to apply this cycle (as in the one starting in a few weeks)?

If your school has an MD-PhD program, they will likely be your best bet for applying internally.
My School does not have an MD/PHD program.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.