2nd year PhD student applying to MD PhD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unconditionalloves

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 2nd year PhD student however my PI during the first year left the university and l was forcerd to chose a different one. My new lab is a total joke.. my plan was always to do my PhD and apply to medical school right after instead of a traditional MD/PHD.. now o have decided the wait is pointless and I am applying to hot MD only and MD/PHD programs... has anyone seen this done successfully in the past? I will appreciate your advice.
GPA 3.8 Sci GPA 3.9
MCAT pending Grad only GPA 3.7 Non-traditional with 6 years of research experience both in academia and industry 2 abstracts 1 publication.
2.5 years of clinical experience including 6 months of direct patient care on a community-based clinic.
2 travel awards
Undergrad student leadership appointments Undergrad diverse community volunteer experiences ~6 months
Bilingual
Thank you for your help...
@Fencer

Members don't see this ad.

Need MCAT score to comment on your chances.

I think most MD/PhD programs are reluctant to take someone actively within a graduate program. Can you switch to graduate with an MS without burning any bridges? This will help wrap things up for applying MD/PhD.

I am a 2nd year PhD student however my PI during the first year left the university and l was forcerd to chose a different one. My new lab is a total joke.. my plan was always to do my PhD and apply to medical school right after instead of a traditional MD/PHD.. now o have decided the wait is pointless and I am applying to hot MD only and MD/PHD programs... has anyone seen this done successfully in the past? I will appreciate your advice.
GPA 3.8 Sci GPA 3.9
MCAT pending Grad only GPA 3.7 Non-traditional with 6 years of research experience both in academia and industry 2 abstracts 1 publication.
2.5 years of clinical experience including 6 months of direct patient care on a community-based clinic.
2 travel awards
Undergrad student leadership appointments Undergrad diverse community volunteer experiences ~6 months
Bilingual
Thank you for your help...
@Fencer

Can you get a terminal masters from your graduate program? This will honestly largely depend on your MCAT score. Are you planning to apply this cycle (as in the one starting in a few weeks)?

If your school has an MD-PhD program, they will likely be your best bet for applying internally.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Need MCAT score to comment on your chances.

I think most MD/PhD programs are reluctant to take someone actively within a graduate program. Can you switch to graduate with an MS without burning any bridges? This will help wrap things up for applying MD/PhD.
I already have a masters from a different university, I might get an exit masters but will depend on whether I get admitted to medical school this cycle or not, and grad division approves the switch given that I already have an MS in a similar filed. I will not be burning the bridge if I leave. I am thinking to just apply to MD only programs and find an alternative Physician Scientist Training Path.

Can you get a terminal masters from your graduate program? This will honestly largely depend on your MCAT score. Are you planning to apply this cycle (as in the one starting in a few weeks)?

If your school has an MD-PhD program, they will likely be your best bet for applying internally.
My School does not have an MD/PHD program.