2nd year PhD student applying to MD PhD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Unconditionalloves

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a 2nd year PhD student however my PI during the first year left the university and l was forcerd to chose a different one. My new lab is a total joke.. my plan was always to do my PhD and apply to medical school right after instead of a traditional MD/PHD.. now o have decided the wait is pointless and I am applying to hot MD only and MD/PHD programs... has anyone seen this done successfully in the past? I will appreciate your advice.
GPA 3.8 Sci GPA 3.9
MCAT pending Grad only GPA 3.7 Non-traditional with 6 years of research experience both in academia and industry 2 abstracts 1 publication.
2.5 years of clinical experience including 6 months of direct patient care on a community-based clinic.
2 travel awards
Undergrad student leadership appointments Undergrad diverse community volunteer experiences ~6 months
Bilingual
Thank you for your help...
@Fencer
 
Need MCAT score to comment on your chances.

I think most MD/PhD programs are reluctant to take someone actively within a graduate program. Can you switch to graduate with an MS without burning any bridges? This will help wrap things up for applying MD/PhD.
 
I am a 2nd year PhD student however my PI during the first year left the university and l was forcerd to chose a different one. My new lab is a total joke.. my plan was always to do my PhD and apply to medical school right after instead of a traditional MD/PHD.. now o have decided the wait is pointless and I am applying to hot MD only and MD/PHD programs... has anyone seen this done successfully in the past? I will appreciate your advice.
GPA 3.8 Sci GPA 3.9
MCAT pending Grad only GPA 3.7 Non-traditional with 6 years of research experience both in academia and industry 2 abstracts 1 publication.
2.5 years of clinical experience including 6 months of direct patient care on a community-based clinic.
2 travel awards
Undergrad student leadership appointments Undergrad diverse community volunteer experiences ~6 months
Bilingual
Thank you for your help...
@Fencer

Can you get a terminal masters from your graduate program? This will honestly largely depend on your MCAT score. Are you planning to apply this cycle (as in the one starting in a few weeks)?

If your school has an MD-PhD program, they will likely be your best bet for applying internally.
 
  • Like
Reactions: tr
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Need MCAT score to comment on your chances.

I think most MD/PhD programs are reluctant to take someone actively within a graduate program. Can you switch to graduate with an MS without burning any bridges? This will help wrap things up for applying MD/PhD.
I already have a masters from a different university, I might get an exit masters but will depend on whether I get admitted to medical school this cycle or not, and grad division approves the switch given that I already have an MS in a similar filed. I will not be burning the bridge if I leave. I am thinking to just apply to MD only programs and find an alternative Physician Scientist Training Path.
 
Can you get a terminal masters from your graduate program? This will honestly largely depend on your MCAT score. Are you planning to apply this cycle (as in the one starting in a few weeks)?

If your school has an MD-PhD program, they will likely be your best bet for applying internally.
My School does not have an MD/PHD program.