Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So as you may have guessed from the title I want to go to medschool and I have slightly above a 3.0.
First of all I know my chances are slim, and I am definitely doing a post bacc program, but I was wondering if I should spend a year working overseas (in a hospital) and boosting my application before applying to the program. Furthermore, I can only afford my home state's programs and they are not linked in any shape form or fashion. Is there any hope for me? Can anybody suggest a better idea? Should I give up and become a plumber (my dad's a plumber so it seems like the next logical step)...
For those of you interested in backstory; here goes.
Essentially, I realized far too late that I adored medicine. During my first two years of college my family was struggling and I was heading home almost every weekend to help with the kids. I wasn't focussed and I lacked direction. I mentioned to my family's physician how I had once wanted to be a doctor, but that my grades were terrible and I had no experience, and he insisted that I should at least come and shadow him and see if I enjoyed it. I did, and I fell in love right away. If there's a job for me this is it and I want to give it everything I have before I give up on it.
My ECs are few and far between. I've been a research assistant (no publications), worked as a TA, and worked in the chemistry department of my school. I've spent two summer shadowing doctors who will write my letters of recommendation and that's basically it for my md related experience.
In addition I worked for my school's plumbing company, was the head of PR for my school's dairy enterprise for a year, worked for my dad's plumbing company and I'm a three-time national competitor and state champion in speech and debate.
Any advice or proposed last ditch efforts would be greatly appreciated.
(ps- I am sooooo NOT opposed to DO school, would rather try for an MD (or DO) before I commit to a PA)
First of all I know my chances are slim, and I am definitely doing a post bacc program, but I was wondering if I should spend a year working overseas (in a hospital) and boosting my application before applying to the program. Furthermore, I can only afford my home state's programs and they are not linked in any shape form or fashion. Is there any hope for me? Can anybody suggest a better idea? Should I give up and become a plumber (my dad's a plumber so it seems like the next logical step)...
For those of you interested in backstory; here goes.
Essentially, I realized far too late that I adored medicine. During my first two years of college my family was struggling and I was heading home almost every weekend to help with the kids. I wasn't focussed and I lacked direction. I mentioned to my family's physician how I had once wanted to be a doctor, but that my grades were terrible and I had no experience, and he insisted that I should at least come and shadow him and see if I enjoyed it. I did, and I fell in love right away. If there's a job for me this is it and I want to give it everything I have before I give up on it.
My ECs are few and far between. I've been a research assistant (no publications), worked as a TA, and worked in the chemistry department of my school. I've spent two summer shadowing doctors who will write my letters of recommendation and that's basically it for my md related experience.
In addition I worked for my school's plumbing company, was the head of PR for my school's dairy enterprise for a year, worked for my dad's plumbing company and I'm a three-time national competitor and state champion in speech and debate.
Any advice or proposed last ditch efforts would be greatly appreciated.
(ps- I am sooooo NOT opposed to DO school, would rather try for an MD (or DO) before I commit to a PA)