3.1 GPA 31 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OHSDoc1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just got my MCAT score and any help on making a solid list for me would be appreciated.

cGPA: 3.1
sGPA: 2.9
MCAT (PS/VR/BS): 10/11/10 - 31

ECs:
100+ hospital volunteer hrs
50+ DO shadowing hrs
50+ other volunteer work hrs
Started my own company (also minor in entrepreneurship)
Philanthropic Chair/Head Rush Chair in Fraternity
Public Health trip to China
Anatomy assistant lab TA

Preferences:
ANY MEDICAL SCHOOL. Okay, I guess preferably somewhere in midwest/northeast (Ohio resident). In reality though, I want to get in, and don't really care where I end up as long as I'm in school somewhere.

Any other considerations: non-trad, family.
Poor Freshman Year, upward trend at high ranked state school
Ohio Resident
DO and Md LOR

Multiple Faculty LOR as well (if needed)

School list:

OU-HCOM
LECOM (both)
ACOM
ATSU (both)
CUSOM
LMU
UP-KYCOM
NYCOM
VCOM
PCOM-GA
TOURO

Pretty much just threw those together any help modifying the list to where my chances will be optimal would be a huuuuuge help. As of now I'm thinking mainly DO but if you have any suggestions on lower tiered MD schools I would love to hear.

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

I can tell you right off the bat that Campbell-SOM will reject you because they have a 3.2 GPA cut off and it's a hard cut off. I suggest you contact all the schools on your list and discuss your situation i.e your low science and cumulative GPA.

I know the Touros are more forgiving of a low GPA if you have a high MCAT score so you should contact all the 3 Touro campuses.

Marian is a DO school in the midwest but again, you will have to contact them and discuss your situation. No one here can confirm that for you.

Thanks! I definitely will contact these schools about their GPA cut-offs.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 2.9 sGPA is pretty lethal except at the newest of the new DO schools.

I can tell you right off the bat that Campbell-SOM will reject you because they have a 3.2 GPA cut off and it's a hard cut off. I suggest you contact all the schools on your list and discuss your situation i.e your low science and cumulative GPA.

I know the Touros are more forgiving of a low GPA if you have a high MCAT score so you should contact all the 3 Touro campuses.

Marian is a DO school in the midwest but again, you will have to contact them and discuss your situation. No one here can confirm that for you.

Reactions: 1 user
OP, your best chance might be with a notorious last resort DO school (the so called bad boy of DO schools) called Liberty University-COM. Contact them and explain your situation. They may like your MCAT score so much that they may tell you to apply.