3.2 GPA, School list and advice please!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheesesteak22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So heres my story,

I go to a well regarded engineering school and will be graduating with a degree in Biomedical Engineering. My GPA is overall a 3.2, and my BCPM will be either a 3.2 or a 3.3 depending on how AMCAS files a project I did worth 3 classes (apparently if it is not filed under BCPM, I can petition by supplying a letter from the project adviser and they will change it to BCPM). Thus I am expecting a 3.3 BCPM.

MCATS are unknown (find out this week!) but I am expecting mid to upper 20's. This is obviously very important for my application, so the list will change to just Special Masters Program's (SMP) if it is not at least a 28.

I have research experience in 3 academic laboratories with well known PI's. I am currently working in one lab performing experimental stem cell cardiac surgeries on rats and assisting in similar surgeries on canines.

I have been a volunteer firefighter for the past 4 years with lots of patient contact. I am a volunteer in the Emergency Department of a local university hospital as well.

I have two united states patents, one issued for a device that helps the physically disabled use chopsticks, and another provisional that records heart and respiration rate on active individuals.

I have one poster presentation and wrote an NIH R21 Grant (a mock one for a class, but has potential for submission)

I am an active brother of a fraternity on campus and the fraternity house manager. Lastly, I have minor sports involvement.

I am a DC resident with a MAJOR connection at Georgetown and minor connection at GW, Temple, Drexel and UVM.

Here is my list, feel free to comment:

Albany
Drexel
GW
Georgetown (Top Choice)
NYMC
Temple
UVM
U Maryland
U Rochester
Georgetown-SMP
BU-SMP

I am trying to be as realistic as possible knowing I am not a very strong applicant, I only chose schools where I have a connection or where my GPA is within the bottom 10% of acceptances. I am hoping if I get an interview somewhere these schools will see that I am not using them as safeties like many are.

Members don't see this ad.

You should consider DO schools. If the best you can expect is mid to high 20s on MCAT, then you're a longshot for most allos especially the ones you mentioned. Your grades wouldn't matter as much if your MCAT was 30+, but if you have a low MCAT than the suspicion will always be whether you're capable of doing well in medical school curricula.

DO's can do anything an MD can. They can apply to any residency program and MD can. Plus the averages for DO schools is lower. a mid to high 20s MCAt and your grades are right in the meat of the curve for many DO schools. Plus you seem to have decent ECs.

You should consider DO schools. If the best you can expect is mid to high 20s on MCAT, then you're a longshot for most allos especially the ones you mentioned. Your grades wouldn't matter as much if your MCAT was 30+, but if you have a low MCAT than the suspicion will always be whether you're capable of doing well in medical school curricula.

DO's can do anything an MD can. They can apply to any residency program and MD can. Plus the averages for DO schools is lower. a mid to high 20s MCAt and your grades are right in the meat of the curve for many DO schools. Plus you seem to have decent ECs.
I have considered DO schools before, but I wont be applying to them because with my strong research background, I would rather get a higher level degree (such as one from an SMP, or even a PhD), then apply again later. I forgot to mention that I also have a very strong Personal Statement and LOR's. I know how to sell myself too and have been told I am impressive in interviews, so as long as I get an interview, I think ill be O.K. (maybe...)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have considered DO schools before, but I wont be applying to them because with my strong research background, I would rather get a higher level degree (such as one from an SMP, or even a PhD), then apply again later. I forgot to mention that I also have a very strong Personal Statement and LOR's. I know how to sell myself too and have been told I am impressive in interviews, so as long as I get an interview, I think ill be O.K. (maybe...)

If that's the case, then you should just hope it all works out, knowing that you might not get in. If you apply again later then just make sure you get a good MCAT score. SMP sounds like a great idea (better than PHD if you know you want to be a doc). Good luck. I'll be rooting for you.

Drexel I'm guessing?? I'm a pre-junior BS/MS in a with a similar GPA, throwing up a prayer and going balls-to-the-wall till application time. Can I get a master's thesis with this stem cell lab of yours? I'd like to get into tissue engineering. Let me know how you end up fairing, and best of luck!:thumbup:

Looking around, im seeing things about people applications at private schools getting sort of lost in the shuffle. I am a DC resident, there is no "state school" (although g-town and GW favor DC res. slightly), what should I do?

You could consider RFUMS and NYMC as well, but you'd probably want to have at least a 30 (no section less than 9) to be competitive for those schools. The DC schools may prefer people from the Potomac region, so that helps as do your connections at G-town and GW.

I think you should send out applications to the schools you listed (and, perhaps, RFUMS and NYMC as well) as soon as you can. Once your MCAT scores come in, you can ask again and we'll have much better advice than we have now.

I was hoping to stay on the east coast, so unfortunately that makes RFUMS out. I am applying to NYMC already, like I said before, unless I have a 28 im going to pull my application. Does anyone know anything about the Dartmouth SMP?