3.25/30N Need help with my list..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jargan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm aware that my stats are below average for MD applicants. That being said, I'm applying to both MD and DO schools, mostly regionally biased schools which will help my chances a bit.

-Kentucky resident
-Biochemistry/Biology double major undergrad at a Kentucky university.
-Great LoRs and decent ECs including shadowing and a ton of volunteer work.
-From a rural area and want to be a rural physician (focus of my personal statement)

MD List:
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville
West Virginia University
Marshall University (Skeptical because of recent probation)
University of Cincinnati XXX - (Average GPA/Mcat is too high)
University of Tennessee XXX - (Averages too high/too biased towards in-state)
East Tennessee/Quillen (website says they strongly discourage OOS unless from Appalachian region with rural focus (I am); comments?)
East Virginia and VCU - (accept a decent amount of OOS, but not sure with my stats)
Morehouse

Suggestions?

DO List:
Lincoln Memorial (LMU)
Pikeville (KYCOM)
West Virginia (WVCOM)
Nova
Lake Erie
Ohio?
Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bump. Could really use some help with school choices.

probably add some more D.O, your g.p.a is pretty low for MD schools. At least from what i've seen on this forum. Do you have amazing extracurriculars? that could help.
Do you have a D.O rec letter? a lot of D.O schools want to see that, but I have a list of D.O schools that don't required it if you'd like it.
try CCOM, PCOM and MSUCOM, if you have a strong upward trend in your gpa. Your MCAT will help with the D.O schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a few solid ECs, >1 year of research in biochemistry and a few thousand hours of community service.. I also have d.o. and m.d. Letters from 2 physicians I shadowed.

My trend is strongly upward, explained in my personal statement.. My main concern is if any of the schools on my list screen purely from numbers which in my case would be bad..

I see you're applying to Morehouse, are you a URM? If so, apply anywhere you want MD, you'll get into more places than you think it's stats like that. Apply to reach schools, you really never know.

EDIT: missed the part about you wanting to be a rural physician, I guess that limits your choice of schools if you're writing about its your PS. Regardless, shoot for the stars, you'll get in somewhere!

I didn't heavily focus on wanting to be a rural physician, but my PS is mainly about me being from a rural area. As far as being URM, I'm not. I chose Morehouse because I have friends there and their averages are lower.