3.3 BCPM, 3.75 non-BCPM, 34 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icepickthornton

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much will the 3.3 science GPA affect my application? I did well in Chemistry, Organic, and Bio (mostly A's, a few B's). I got C's in physics, then retook 1st semester and got an A. I scored a 13 on the physical sciences section, so perhaps this redeems the lower grades? I also got a C in Agroecology, which factored into the science GPA even though it isn't very related to medicine.

Which schools would I have a chance at as a VA resident?

Members don't see this ad.

It would be nice to know your overall GPA.

A lower BCPM will effect your application. If you have a year-by-year increasing grade trend that will help moderate it. If your most recent grades in upper-level science are As, that helps, too.

My overall GPA is around 3.55. The only BCPM course I took senior year was Agroecology, a course that I got a C in. Senior year is actually a poorer year than the others because of this.

At least three of the schools in your state should consider you, including the new one, Virginia Tech Carilion.

As you choose OOS schools to apply to, I'd check them with the MSAR, keeping an eye on the bottom tenth percentile for BCPM for each school. Not to say you can't apply to some schools apparently out of reach, but have a healthy number that are in your stats range. And consider working on reversing that downward trend so you have something to report to schools in update letters that might sway adcomms positively.