3.3 GPA and 41 MCAT. Help with school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vagabondo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an excellent MCAT (13 BS 14 PS 14 VR). But my cGPA is a 3.33, and my sGPA a 3.2.
Im graduating from a competitive school (Cooper Union). My degree is a BE in Chemical Engineering with a biomedical minor.
My GPA for the past 3 semesters has been 3.8+ with a credit load of >19 for each semester
Additionally, I have a 100+ hours shadowing, and several semester of research experience.

Please let me know where I stand in terms of which schools should be safeties, reaches etc.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think only a full adcom member would be able to help out someone in your situation.

Your major may cut you some slack, but a 3.3 is pretty low. I honestly do not know how an adcom would approach someone with a GPA that low since that is approaching the point where many schools, including mid-tiers, might screen you before they even look at your application.

If I had to venture a guess, mid-tiers may be your best bet.

I think only a full adcom member would be able to help out someone in your situation.

Your major may cut you some slack, but a 3.3 is pretty low. I honestly do not know how an adcom would approach someone with a GPA that low since that is approaching the point where many schools, including mid-tiers, might screen you before they even look at your application.

If I had to venture a guess, mid-tiers may be your best bet.

I agree and I'd also not waste time and.money with the top tiers cuz your ecs are very minimal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Such a wide disparity in GPA vs MCAT has me worried. I think you'd get rejected by nearly all MD programs, except, maybe those in your home state (if any), and all but the lowest of the low tier schools, like NYMC. try some of the newest MD programs too.

The bright side to all this is that you're fine for any DO program, including mine.

I have an excellent MCAT (13 BS 14 PS 14 VR). But my cGPA is a 3.33, and my sGPA a 3.2.
Im graduating from a competitive school (Cooper Union). My degree is a BE in Chemical Engineering with a biomedical minor.
My GPA for the past 3 semesters has been 3.8+ with a credit load of >19 for each semester
Additionally, I have a 100+ hours shadowing, and several semester of research experience.

Please let me know where I stand in terms of which schools should be safeties, reaches etc.
Thanks!

I wouldn't go as far as saying he would get rejected in almost all medical schools but I would suggest that he should apply to mid tiers as well as low tiers as backup. The MCAT score is absolutely amazing but I would assume top tiers could pick a handful of people with similar MCAT scores and a much higher gpa.

I think you have a shot with a good amount of schools with an MCAT score like that. Your GPA is high enough to not automatically get screened out. Wow...if you dont mind me asking can you private message me your secret to doing so well on the MCAT??

I wouldn't go as far as saying he would get rejected in almost all medical schools but I would suggest that he should apply to mid tiers as well as low tiers as backup. The MCAT score is absolutely amazing but I would assume top tiers could pick a handful of people with similar MCAT scores and a much higher gpa.

More than a handful.

i think you have a good chance at a high to middle tier med school if you do (and do well) in an SMP.

I'm guessing a 3.3 GPA is about average for cooper union students. Adcoms who have experience with cooper grads will not be alarmed by your GPA, but I doubt many do because its such a small school. If you apply very broadly I'm sure you'll get in somewhere. You probably do have a shot at some top schools as well.

I suggest that you apply to some top-tiers, especially ones in NYC such as Columbia and Cornell.

Such a wide disparity in GPA vs MCAT has me worried. I think you'd get rejected by nearly all MD programs, except, maybe those in your home state (if any), and all but the lowest of the low tier schools, like NYMC. try some of the newest MD programs too.

The bright side to all this is that you're fine for any DO program, including mine.
Couldn't this be explained by some academic immaturity early on? He has a strong upward trend, with 3 consecutive semesters of 3.8+ with lots of upper-level science classes and a stellar MCAT.

Couldn't this be explained by some academic immaturity early on? He has a strong upward trend, with 3 consecutive semesters of 3.8+ with lots of upper-level science classes and a stellar MCAT.
OP might very well be an MSIV right now. At the time of the post, my sense of what reinvention is like was non-existent. hence, I think the OP would be successful. Note that s/he only made a single post.

OP might very well be an MSIV right now. At the time of the post, my sense of what reinvention is like was non-existent. hence, I think the OP would be successful. Note that s/he only made a single post.
True, I raised this post from a dusty grave; what would you now say about an applicant fitting his profile? Clinical experience is scant, but enough to check the box.

True, I raised this post from a dusty grave; what would you now say about an applicant fitting his profile? Clinical experience is scant, but enough to check the box.
The only ECs I see are 100 hrs of shadowing (way too much). No hint of patient exposure or volunteering! Without those, OP is DOA.

The only ECs I see are 100 hrs of shadowing (way too much). No hint of patient exposure or volunteering! Without those, OP is DOA.
Yep. With a gap year, 500 hours in a hospice, and 200 hours tutoring disadvantaged children, he might stand quite a good chance at most schools except the top 20; schools like Dartmouth reward reinvention.