3.4 and a 26

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foofighter7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, so I will be graduating from UT austin this may. I wanted to know which SMP would I be able to get into with my stats. Also, should I retake the MCAT again or will simply doin the SMP be good enough for med school admissions (i would like to do MD, not DO) . I want to apply to 4 programs, so if you could let me know which ones you think I am competitive for, that would be highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, generally SMPs are designed for low GPA and high MCAT. Your GPA is slightly higher than the average SMP mean, but your MCAT is way lower. I don't think you'd be competitive for the top ones like Georgetown, and that 26 is going to hold you back during your application cycle as well. If you only want MD, you're most likely going to have to improve your MCAT, so you should certainly study your butt off and retake it (you want to aim for a 30+, ideally 32+).

If you do choose a SMP with that MCAT, I'd try to choose one with a high linkage to their own school, because 26 is really not enough to get into a MD school . There might be exceptions, but not many, and none with your GPA unless the library at a medical school you're applying to is named after your dad.

You know, I had very similar stats as the OP until I took the Jan 08 MCAT and pushed from a 26 to a 29. Even then, I am still worried about getting into an SMP and I applied to DO and MD ones.

I really think you need to re-take the MCAT and apply for SMPs, but it's awfully late to be thinking about this. I was complete mid Feb and I think that was a bit too late, so it's up to you about what to do.