3.4 cumulative, 3.5 science..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bashia63

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
By

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you should aim for a 33+ MCAT. If you have zero clinical experience, I'd suggest you wait another year before you apply (about 1.5 years is average. I think a year should be the minimum. Others will tell you that five months might be enough, so opinions vary on this issue. You could have a chance considering the rest of the application looks to be solid). Even so, you need to get that going as soon as possible. If the hospital isn't working out, also consider nursing homes, local family-planning or low income clinics, VA clinic, hospice, rehab facility, etc. Your research, leadership, teaching, and community service, and shadowing look fine. Why no clinical experience to date?

Members don't see this ad :)
Having six or seven months of clinical is better, and if you've been working thoughout college, you'll probably win some forgiveness for having less than typical.

If you take an August MCAT, you won't get your score back until September. If you apply then it will take more than a month to get your transcripts verified, and even longer before you have completed your Secondary applications for all schools. This will put your chances of getting interviews at a distinct disadvantage. Just a heads up.

Yes, go ahead and apply in June when it takes a few days for verification, but to just one school. Also, you could maybe move the MCAT up a bit since you've already started studying. When the score comes back, add more schools depending on how competitive the score is (or not). New schools get the whole application within a day. You could also prewrite all the essays for the Secondaries (prompts available on SDN) to save further turn-around time.