3.45cGPA, 3.5sGPA, PhD in Chemical Biology, 33O MCAT (10V/11P/12B)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemicalpilate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...been trying to keep up with the other posts, but finding non-trad comps is a little tricky. Your thoughts are most welcome.

Education:
  • BS Chemistry @ UW-Madison, graduated in 3 years with comprehensive honors - wrote a short thesis on the chemistry of neurtophil invasion
  • PhD Chemical Biology @ The Scripps Research Institute after 6 years - designed and executed research on novel immunotherapy scaffolds and microbiological and protein engineering, 8 publications

Work experience:
  • several years of on-and-off consulting work as a software engineer
  • 1 year as a primary literature analyst for the NIH on gene therapies
  • 2 years as an analyst at a biotechnology hedge fund (current gig), where I spent a lot of time at medical conferences and talking to physicians on the phone
  • 2 years (in the background) on the board of directors for and CSO of a biotech startup company that resulted from my PhD work (just got the company SBIR funded!)

LOR from 1 MD, 1 MD-PhD, 1 PhD-JD, 2 PhD (covering current job @ the fund, grad school, consulting work, and a cofounder of one of my startups)

All my hospital volunteering was done in high school (14 years ago!) when I wanted to be a pathologist, before I fell into a fling with the carbon atom. Otherwise I've had art exhibited around the greater San Diego region (sculpture mostly), tutored some UCSD undergrads in math and organic chemistry, and tried to be a decent friend to last year's MS1s/this year's MS2s at one of the schools on my list.

Long term, I want to do clinical work in oncology to inform and fund my research interests in immunology.

My school list:

Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Harvard Medical School
Mayo Clinic
Medical College of Wisconsin
Stanford University School of Medicine
Univeristy of Chicago - Pritzker
University of California, San Diego
University of California, San Francisco
University of California, Irvine
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Washington University School of Medicine
Yale University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a good shot anywhere with that strong research background and decent stats, but that list is setting you up for failure. Add in some more safety schools and hope for the best.

You have a good shot anywhere with that strong research background and decent stats, but that list is setting you up for failure. Add in some more safety schools and hope for the best.

Agree. Also, no recent clinical exp?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Your school list is way too top heavy, I would add at least 5 mid-tier and 5 safety schools.