3.5/3.6 GPA, 512 MCAT, 4 MD interviews, 3 waitlists. Reapply now or later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maomaonow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I applied as a first time applicant this cycle and received 4 interview invitations, 3 of them being late interviews. I am siting on 3 waitlists and trying to determine if I should re-apply immediately or wait until the next cycle. I have lots of clinical experience, research experience and some volunteering. My biggest weakness is my science GPA. I have been accepted at a couple of SMPs.

Any advice?

Thank you!

Edit: I am a few years out of school and would prefer not to take an additional 2 years off.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What sort of interview prep did you do going into yours?

Members don't see this ad :)
What sort of interview prep did you do going into yours?
I self prepped. I reviewed ethic scenarios, read up on current events, went over traditional questions. My first interview, which was an MMI, resulted in a rejection. My interviews progressively improved, but by my last interview I was interviewing for waitlist.
Where are you on the wait list?
Lower tier schools.

I self prepped. I reviewed ethic scenarios, read up on current events, went over traditional questions. My first interview, which was an MMI, resulted in a rejection. My interviews progressively improved, but by my last interview I was interviewing for waitlist.

Lower tier schools.

When was the earliest you were you complete at schools? and when was your first interview?

When was the earliest you were you complete at schools? and when was your first interview?
I submitted secondaries from late July to early September, with the majority in August. My first interview came October, last came March.

Lower tier schools.
There will be a lot of wait list movement in the next month so wait until June before you make any decision.If you end up reapplying, apply to DO schools also (at least 8).

There will be a lot of wait list movement in the next month so wait until June before you make any decision.If you end up reapplying, apply to DO schools also (at least 8).
If worst comes to worst, do you recommend I apply this cycle or do you think I should wait until after completing a SMP?

I submitted secondaries from late July to early September, with the majority in August. My first interview came October, last came March.

Hmm...this doesn't seem like it's too late to me. I can't tell if timing was the issue here. @gonnif @LizzyM @Goro @gyngyn would you say this is late and that this contributed to OPs rejections? Or is it probably due to another reason? I remember @gonnif saying that by Labor Day was not late...

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I applied as a first time applicant this cycle and received 4 interview invitations, 3 of them being late interviews. I am siting on 3 waitlists and trying to determine if I should re-apply immediately or wait until the next cycle. I have lots of clinical experience, research experience and some volunteering. My biggest weakness is my science GPA. I have been accepted at a couple of SMPs.

Any advice?

Thank you!

Edit: I am a few years out of school and would prefer not to take an additional 2 years off.
You should always act as if you will be reapplying until you have that acceptance in hand. You should NOT merely reapply...you have some deficits, and they need to be fixed. I'd say interview skills would be #1 on your list.

Try contacting admissions deans that rejected you post interview and see if you can get some feedback (not advice) from them.

Having a strategic list 2nd time around is very important. You'll need DO schools, for starters.

Reactions: 1 users