3.55 gpa /506/IL/White. list help! Maybe even Harvard, Hopkins??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

al53211

Reaction score
Hello all! Need some advice for a re-applicant. I probably will only apply for DO and that’s perfectly acceptable. Not applying to Harvard or Hopkins but hopefully that got your attention to plz help me.
-white male IL
-Psych major with what my university called a "neuroscience emphasis". Took 2 A&P psych courses, cognitive neuroscience, pharmacology, neuropsychology, etc. And none of them counted for science credits :(
- cGPA 3.55
-sGPA 3.18
-MCAT 496 last year (there is a lot involved with that poor score so just have faith for my reasoning) recently 506 (128/124/126/128) Cars and dyslexia don’t work well together :(

-emergency medicine scribe (3 hospitals, 40+ Docs 20 PAs) ~3500 hours

-Cancer center volunteer at another hospital ~300 hours

- undergrad Research intern at the medical college of Wisconsin: family and community medicine ~200 hours (cut short cause covid)

-Research intern in organic chemistry ~350 hours (will likely never mention this in any essay so do with that as you will)

-Director of events for AMSA (created all kinds of events for medical guest speakers, suture clinics, blood drives, etc) ~400 hours

-Chairperson of the Student LeaderCommittee ~80 hours

-Senator Advocate for student organizations (student legislative branch) ~250 hours

-Camp Counselor (Lead counselor for the Kinder Camp) 3 summers after HS (10-12 hours M-F)

I’m pretty sure that’s it. There’s a lot of little things like Love Your Melon volunteering and various other stuff that I just didn’t mention in my app cause it was just random volunteering

Letters: 2 DO’s and a strong PA (she’s an amazing medical provider that’s why I asked so I know she a PA but I’m glad to use it) and research professor at MCW wrote me a good one to. I am applying MD to UIC-Rockford (Rockford native here) MCW and SIU and I have a strong MD letter for them.

for DO though I’m looking at:
PCOM
CCOM
NYIT
NOVA
LIBERTY
MUCOM
OSU
OHIO
MICHIGAN
AZCOM
ROWAN
BOTH ATSU
LECOM
LINCOLN
UNE
ACOM

The only difference between last year and this year is my MCAT increase by 10 points and I’m much more efficient with the application process. (Also more scribing experience I guess) I got 2 interviews last cycle with the 496 which were obvi rejects. I’m typing this on my phone and didn’t feel like going into a whole bunch of detail on everything ive mentioned, but just superficially looking at it, what do y’all think? Unfortunately I really like Ohio and OSU but they are very different for out of state. I spent a long time on their 2ndary essays but I’m wondering about any other schools I should apply to in case I’m out of reach for most. I’ve been on top of producing good essays I promise I have much better writing and articulation than this post LOL. And I am submitting my secondaries as I get them (pre-wrote a bunch) and as for the CASPER I mean idk I think it went good! Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you afford the non resident tuition at MSUCOM ? OSU-COM and OU-HCOM accept very few non residents. You could add these schools:
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
CUSOM
Touro-NY
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)

Any shadowing? Any shadowing with a primary care doc? How about nonclinical volunteering focusing on the unserved, underserved in your community.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any shadowing? Any shadowing with a primary care doc? How about nonclinical volunteering focusing on the unserved, underserved in your community.
No primary care shadowing, I felt like I knew more than enough about the clinical setting by going into patient rooms thousands of times. Plus working alongside so many doctors and building friendships with them, I just figured shadowing another physician wouldn’t do much for me. I guess it would have been nice though!

My research internship at MCW was focused on the underserved homeless population in Milwaukee. The medical students, physicians, professors and I focused our efforts on social determinants of health and we also volunteered at a food pantry. I helped contribute to designing new primary care surveys. I discovered a correlation between SES and lead poisoning in adolescents. My professor and I were going to look further into and and bring a team out to this location I discovered, plus I began writing and essay on it. But unfortunately, I left one day and never came back with COVID lol. He called me said he is absolutely writing me one to use. Like I said I did things like love your melon, and many volunteer events through AMSA were like raking leaves for yards in MKE etc. Plus my jobs as as a Senator and in the student organizations were all volunteer. I totaled probably 500 hours of volunteering in something that was not medical related

Last edited:
Can you afford the non resident tuition at MSUCOM ? OSU-COM and OU-HCOM accept very few non residents. You could add these schools:
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
CUSOM
Touro-NY
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
Yes, that’s why I put Michigan. As I stated... osu and Ohio I am aware of the out of state. Ohio mainly because you have to sign a 5 year contract which I’m okay with. Also Michigan isn’t too friendly put of state either but it’s still a good education. KCU and CUSOM And VCOM are all cut at 3.2 sGPA unfortunately