3.5gpa, 3.5sgpa, retaking MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

ipokeyoupoke

1. 3.5gpa, 3.5sgpa
  2. 495....I want to retake in July 2016 and still apply in 2016
  3. VA
  4. URM
  5. Big 10 school
  6. 100hrs volunteering (half in asia, half in a local hospital)
  7. Research for 1 school year, volunteered at another lab for 1 semester
  8. 50hrs shadowing of neurology
  9. Non-clinical volunteering--none
  10. 4th year in our club sports program (went to championships for soccer etc), graphic art and design
What do you guys think of my retake plans? During my prep things were fine, I don't know what happened, so I feel I can do better. Maybe I was unlucky...or just dumb idk.

Does anyone have any advice on schools to maybe apply to, if I get a good mcat? Thank you all

Members don't see this ad.

What community do you represent? And please don't say "Richmond".

A 495 is a big risk factor for you to fail out of med school; I recommend and retake. And get in more clinical volunteering. Locally.

1. 3.5gpa, 3.5sgpa
  2. 495....I want to retake in July 2016 and still apply in 2016
  3. VA
  4. URM
  5. Big 10 school
  6. 100hrs volunteering (half in asia, half in a local hospital)
  7. Research for 1 school year, volunteered at another lab for 1 semester
  8. 50hrs shadowing of neurology
  9. Non-clinical volunteering--none
  10. 4th year in our club sports program (went to championships for soccer etc), graphic art and design
What do you guys think of my retake plans? During my prep things were fine, I don't know what happened, so I feel I can do better. Maybe I was unlucky...or just dumb idk.

Does anyone have any advice on schools to maybe apply to, if I get a good mcat? Thank you all

Members don't see this ad :)
It's going to be heavily dependent on your MCAT retake. I would also not recommend retaking your MCAT in July and applying the same cycle. It would be better to apply in 2017. That would also allow you to buff up your ECs a bit (non-clinical volunteering, etc).

@Goro So does that mean I shouldn't go into medicine? I feel as though it was bad luck on my end because I was scoring in the 70 percentile in practice exams
@WedgeDawg what other ecs are good?

In all honesty, does this just mean this path is hopeless?

How does them giving you solid advice equate to "is this path hopeless?" And "you shouldn't go into medicine."...... :bang:

In case you weren't paying attention.... Retake the MCAT, score well (508+), get some clinical and non clinical volunteering. Then apply in 2017.

Reactions: 1 user
I was talking in reference to Goro saying my MCAT was a strong risk factor that I would fail out of med school.

Still haven't said what community do you represent? Alot of people on SDN think they are URMs when in fact they are not; ie lots of Latinos aren't considered URMs for medicine.

If you are African American, State schools and HBMC's is a good bet.

If you are Puerto Rican can speak spanish and have demonstrated interest in the community, the Puerto Rican schools and your state programs is the best course of action.

If you are Mexican, there are certain schools like Jesuits and others that show a preference to that group.

Having said that, you have about a 23 on the old scale. That's low and yes based on that score you are at greater risk for failing out of med school without a re-take that shows you have greater capability regardless of URM status.

Take a look at the data for yourself. 22% of people with your stats failed Step 1 on their first attempt, 4X greater risk than the national average. This is just one of many possible ways someone with lower stats could have significant problems in med school.

https://www.aamc.org/download/434596/data/usingmcatdata2016.pdf

Historically about 1/4 African Americans with your GPA and an MCAT in the 21-23 range found a medical school to accept them. This number goes way way up to over 70% if the score is 24-26. So as you can see, depending on URM status, even a several point improvement can make a major major difference.

That's why it is a good idea to retake. Ignore whatever nonsense or thoughts you have that you shouldn't do medicine for now. Just focus on the MCAT and doing better. Btw, retaking in July is on the late side, get the retake in by mid June at the latest for next cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
@GrapesofRath I'm African. I completely agree with everyone that I should do a retake, as I plan on. I would not even be able to look at myself in the mirror if i hoped someone would accept me with my MCAT because it doesn't represent my actual capacity. Thank you for your advice, as well as everyone else.

With a 3.5 and a 506+ your chances will shoot up rapidly. Focus on that retake and kill it. Goodluck