3.6 / 515 - WAMC and school list help needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moonmarmot

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have tried my best to use MSAR and the wisdom on these forums to create a decent list but wanted to post to hear any last minute advice prior to submitting. A bit worried that my EC's might tank me compared to some other applicants. Willing to add another 5-10 schools to be as safe as possible.

gpa/sgpa: 3.62 / 3.6
MCAT: 515 (130/129/127/129)

Cuban-American, FL resident, attended a large FL state school
Clinical experience: worked as a clinical intern in a dermatology office. Accrued roughly 200 volunteer hours over 5 months. Eventually after my months there the staff appreciated my hard work and convinced the doctor to start paying me that juicy minimum wage. Over several more months accrued 140 hours of payed hours, my duties stayed relatively the same.
Research experience: Worked as a research assistant and communication coach in an ongoing communication study dealing with African-American couples. The study is essentially a recreation of a past study that was done primarily on whites which tested the effectiveness of a communication technique on facilitating constructive conversation during conflict.
Accrued roughly 60 hours.
Shadowing: Total ~50 hours
Plastic surgeon- observed surgery in both hospital and private practice OR. Observed and assisted with minor procedures in clinic hours.
30 hours over ~2 years
Neonatologist- 6 hours
Neuro ophthalmologist- 8 hours
Pediatric ENT - 6 hours
Non-Clinical Volunteering: total ~100
Local Special Olympics soccer team
several other small volunteering gigs here and there.
Other: completed a 10 week clinical assistant prep program. Clinical Medical assistant certification via the National Healthcare Organization.

School list thus far:
UF
Miami
FIU
UCF
USF
FSU
FAU
Nova MD
Albany
Wake forest
Rosalind Franklin
New York medical college
Georgetown
Virginia Tech
George Washington
Loyola
Tulane
Temple
Virginia commonwealth
West Virginia
Rush
Oakland university
Arizona
Drexel
Hackensack-Meridian

Members don't see this ad.

You can remove Virginia Tech due to their instate and regional preference. Remove Rush since they expect many more volunteering hours than you have.
You could add these schools:
Quinnipiac
Einstein
Hofstra
Jefferson
St. Louis
Creighton

Reactions: 1 user