3.63 gpa, 517. Could use some help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medfun101

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I could really use help with my list. I went from two very low MCATs to a higher score and because of this, I am unsure where to apply.

1. 3.63 cgpa, 3.58 sgpa
  2. Three MCATS: 500, 501, 517 (128/129/130/130).
  3. Virginia
  4. White; Low SES and underserved background
  5. ample experience; 50 hours of free clinic volunteering for a few months before covid. Medical technician for a year. Hospice volunteering for 3 years. Have now been a Psych tech for the past year. Over 2500 total hours
  6. Two research experiences; one in medical research, one in health psychology. Over 1000 hours combined. No pubs, but about 5 presentations
  7. 2 MD physicians, 2 DO shadowed. Family med, obgyn, IM. 100+ hours.
  8. Food pantry volunteering for 3 years. Crisis text line volunteering 200 or so hours. In my org, we also did local fundraising initiatives. 1000+ total
  9. TA for two classes. President of a undergraduate organization dedicated to mental health awareness

I want to apply to about 30 MD schools, but am unsure what to cut from this list. Any tips or suggestions on what to cut/add would be greatly appreciated.
  1. Virginia Commonwealth University
  2. Virginia Tech Carilion
  3. University of Virginia
  4. Eastern Virginia Medical School
  5. Creighton University School of Medicine
  6. Tulane University School of Medicine
  7. Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
  8. Wake Forest University School of Medicine
  9. Drexel University College of Medicine
  10. University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen SOM
  11. Keck School of Medicine of University of Southern California
  12. Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin
  13. Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
  14. Medical College of Wisconsin
  15. Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
  16. Wayne State University School of Medicine
  17. Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
  18. George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
  19. Georgetown University School of Medicine
  20. Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
  21. Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
  22. Albany Medical College
  23. Robert Larner,College of Medicine University of Vermont
  24. New York Medical College
  25. Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson
  26. Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
  27. Saint Louis University School of Medicine
  28. Anne Burnett Marion School of Medicine at TCU
  29. Ponce Health Sciences University School of Medicine
  30. Howard School of Medicine
  31. Tufts University School of Medicine
  32. West Virginia University School of Medicine
  33. University of Miami
  34. Emory
  35. University fo Michigan
  36. Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
  37. Albert Einstein College of Medicine
  38. Meharry
  39. Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
  40. University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
  41. University of Illinois College of Medicine
  42. University of Maryland School of Medicine

DO (These primaries have already been submitted)

1) VCOM
2) ATSU-KCOM
3) WVSOM
4) RVUSOM (Colorado)
5) NYITCOM (Long island)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did you grow up near Appalachia in Virginia? If not, VTC may not be a good fit. Exactly what is your mission fit? Your list can be pared down at least on geography and likely mission fit (Meharry? Ponce. Illinois?)

Did you grow up near Appalachia in Virginia? If not, VTC may not be a good fit. Exactly what is your mission fit? Your list can be pared down at least on geography and likely mission fit (Meharry? Ponce. Illinois?)
No I didn't grow up in the Appalachia. I have a strong research background so that's why I considered it
I have a strong underserved/service app stemming from my own background, volunteering experience, and research I did. Also psychology/humanities/mental health appears often in my app (not my own mental health but in medicine)

Are there any schools you'd recommend removing based on being too out of reach stat wise or out of state unfriendly? Or schools you'd suggest adding that I didn't think of?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will let the list-makers make their suggestions. But I want to be sure you have a mission fit to refine your list's (likely) yield further. Understand that attending medical school means that at least 1 year of clinical rotations is done in the hospitals and clinics near the campus. And you have to live there.

I will let the list-makers make their suggestions. But I want to be sure you have a mission fit to refine your list's (likely) yield further. Understand that attending medical school means that at least 1 year of clinical rotations is done in the hospitals and clinics near the campus. And you have to live there.
This definitely makes sense. I'll be sure to look over it again and keep that in mind. Thank you for your advice!

Rowan and Geisinger admit few applicants who are not from the state or region. Howard and Meharry mainly admit applicants from the African American community. Illinois has very high non resident tuition. You should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list.

Reactions: 1 users
Rowan and Geisinger admit few applicants who are not from the state or region. Howard and Meharry mainly admit applicants from the African American community. Illinois has very high non resident tuition. You should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list.
Thanks so much! Do you think I mentioned most of the known OOS friendly schools?