3.68 sGPA, 31P MCAT... Gahh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justapremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if taking a year off (and improving: MCAT score, GPA, EC's, and perhaps an additional LoR) will do me good or not.

-------------
MCAT: 9 (!!!!!), 11, 11 = 31P
sGPA: 3.68
cGPA: 3.79
Majors: Biochemistry and music
VA Resident

Clinical experience: just okay. just enough I hope. I have volunteering and some shadowing experiences.

Other EC: Tons of music hours. A couple of other clubs where I took leadership positions.

Research: 1 year experience so far. 1 publication expected by the end of summer. Perhaps 1 more next year, but that's a maybe.

Others: I'm helping developing a biochem lab course this summer.

LoR: Should be all good/great.

PS: From feedback I've seen, it's pretty good.

-------------

I just have a hard time swallowing the 9 in PS. I've never gotten that low of a score in practices, and having pride as a chem major, that 9 is rather unacceptable for me. And I really wanted to shoot for top-tier schools :(

Members don't see this ad.

I think your stats sound great for everything but a "top tier" school. Whether or not to take a year off and retake the MCAT (and get some more clinical experience) is really up to you. If you really want to set your sights on top tier schools only, then you should probably retake the MCAT and apply next year. Although you could always just apply to top tier schools this year and see what happens. You'd be a reapplicant next year at those schools and may have to write an essay about what improved in your application from this year to next, but it's doable.

Personally, I'd rather just apply broadly and get started on becoming a doctor. It sounds clear that you'd have lots of options if you attend broadly - they may just not be at "top tier" schools. But keep in mind that attending a top tier school really isn't the end all be all in medicine. It's much more important with an MBA or a JD. If you kill the boards (which you can do from any school), have good research/publications, send good LORs and have good grades from your third year rotations, I've heard that the actual school you attended is one of the smallest pieces of a residency application. On the other hand, if a school has a great department in what you're most interested in, or has great connections to top residency programs in that field, your school's connections will definitely be an advantage in the process. Granted, I haven't started med school yet, but I've been reading SDN religiously for over three years and soaking up all of the advice given by current med students/residents/doctors. I think you're simply placing way too much emphasis on "top tier."

So, the bottom line is that only you can know if you'd rather wait a year and retake the MCAT than go to a non top tier school. Good luck with your decision.