DO 3.7 GPA, 21 MCAT, Paramedic degree. What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oregonian89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My MCAT score is terrible. I'm so stressed. On the first MCAT, I had spent months studying, and when it came to take the test, I had to travel up to Seattle (from Eugene, OR) to take my exam. I was so nervous I made myself sick and I tanked the exam with a 21. After speaking with a DO student, she said the Kaplan style (which I studied with) didn't do well for her either, and she suggested a different study method. I changed my study techniques, took the MCAT 2 months later and ended up with an 18. I know, please, I know. I wish I knew what happened. I'm really hoping that my other factors will weigh in. Here are my stats:

GPA- 3.7
Paramedic degree
EMT experience
100+ hrs Teaching/volunteer experience
100+ hrs volunteering as a church leader

My #1 choice is COMP-Northwest in Lebanon, OR. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances are very low for DO schools. Don't take my word for it. Contact COMP-Northwestern and discuss your 21 and 18 MCAT scores with them. The average DO matriculant had an average MCAT score of 27 in the last cycle.

You can either retake the MCAT and apply for DO next cycle (you don't have enough time to study for it properly and apply this cycle, I don't recommend you re-take the MCAT in a month or 2, you need more time preparing). Or you can apply for pod schools this cycle. Your MCAT score is competitive for podiatry schools.

Your chances are very low for DO schools. Don't take my word for it. Contact COMP-Northwestern and discuss your 21 and 18 MCAT scores with them. The average DO matriculant had an average MCAT score of 27 in the last cycle.

You can either retake the MCAT and apply for DO next cycle (you don't have enough time to study for it properly and apply this cycle, I don't recommend you re-take the MCAT in a month or 2, you need more time preparing). Or you can apply for pod schools this cycle. Your MCAT score is competitive for podiatry schools.

Thanks you for the response. I'll consider podiatry. I'm so frustrated with my score, I studied to hard but choked when exam time came. Oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Use EK and BR and do tons of practice questions.

If you can get your AAMC average practice score above 25 then retake.

Be patient, for some people it takes a whole summer of studying to get a good score. Either way, you'll need at least a 25 to have a shot at DO.

You need to retake the MCAT, after 2 or 3 months of studying, and reapply next June. There are several new and low tier DO schools with a median MCAT of 24 to 25. There will be several new DO schools opening up for the class beginning in 2016. You only need to get your MCAT up to at least 23 to have a decent chance for an acceptance since you have a very good GPA.