3.74 cGPA / 3.56 BCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ochem 32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.75
BCPM: 3.56
MCAT: 501 on first attempt, actually taking second attempt in June, but I'm highly motivated to do better and my goal is a 508-510. I know it's not good to ask chances without the final MCAT, but would like feedback regarding hypothetical new score, or perhaps even how high of a score I would need to be competitive with all other things considered
Ethnicity and Race: White
State of Residency: Ohio
Major: Neuropsych/psych minor (graduated in April)
Clinical Experience: Volunteered at local hospital for about 2 years, 160 hours
Just started full time medical scribe position at highly ranked Children's Hospital which I will be doing during gap year
Research Experience: 2 semesters of psych research, and capstone lit review paper; but no publications or posters
Shadowing: about 75 hours of shadowing. MD and DO psychiatrists, family medicine
Non-clinical volunteering: Coordinated my university's mental health club's team for mental health awareness walk 2 different years, coordinated pre-professional health club's involvement in Relay for Life event 1 year, went on week long mission trip to New Jersey to help with Hurricane Clean up/Recovery.
Other extracurriculars: Supplemental Instruction leader for organic chemistry for 2 years
President of mental health awareness club for 2 years, VP for 1 year
Member of pre-professional health honor society (Alpha Epsilon Delta), but not a national member
Awards: Deans list every semester
Other info: I think I will have pretty good LORs, professors knew me pretty well so not just generic "he got a good grade in my class" letters. Somewhat low BCPM mainly due to B's in gen chem and gen bio, but A's in organic chemistry and Physics (upward trend in prereqs). When schools have "highly encouraged" classes in addition to prereqs, I usually have almost all if not all of them (such as psych classes, biochem, genetics and cell bio, a&p) I'm taking a gap year to save money and get married, so this will be my first time applying despite having retook my MCAT. I've spent a considerable amount of time working on my personal statement and I have what I think is a solid reason for wanting to pursue medicine.

Here are the schools I'm thinking of applying to. I'm limited in location due to the fact my fiancé will also be doing an accelerated masters of nursing program, and thus we decided we are only applying to locations where there are both medical schools (MD or DO) and schools with her nursing program. Let me know if you think I should revise this at all. I have researched accelerated MSN and MD/DO school locations extensively, so I don't think there's any other schools I could add unless there are any in the major cities I included and forgot (Chicago, DC, NYC). However, I haven't looked at California schools because they seem competitive especially for OOS, and their nursing programs have peculiar requirements for ohio applicants due to the state difference in classes. But if any of those seem like compatible options I'm willing to hear it!

MD
Wright State
University of Cincinnati
Loyola
Rush
University of Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
University of Minnesota
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
George Washington University

DO
Midwestern (Chicago)
Ohio University (Dublin)
Touro (NY)

Members don't see this ad.

With your current stats only Ohio University (Dublin) is realistic. If you increase your MCAT to 508 then all your schools are realistic except Minnesota and Illinois ( they favor their own residents and accept very few non residents with a MCAT of 508).

Thanks for advice. Also I was just curious what your credentials are? Med student, physician, admissions board for a school, etc.?