Hello, I have applied this cycle to MD and DO. I submitted in June primaries for MD and DO. Had tons of secondaries for MD--recently finished. I am second guessing the DO apps. I feel that if I don't get into any allo programs I may want to try again for MD by retaking MCAT. I realize I didn't prepare properly for MCAT, and should have waited as I didn't have some courses that are tested, focused on content too much instead of passages/tests. I worked so hard in UG to get the grades I did, and feel obligated to give myself one more chance at MD if I don't get it. My GPA is 3.8+ for both without grade replacement---and no offense to DO students but some have 3.3-3.5 GPA's with tons of grade replacements...I felt like I worked way harder than this to get my GPA where it is.
As of now haven't submitted any DO secondaries--so is it okay to withdraw apps? I don't want to blacklist myself from DO programs in the future--I have no problem with them. But even DO students have told me go MD if you can--then if not, go DO. I want to follow this advice, as it seems residency and life is easier as an MD student. For example no OMM, no 2 board exams comlex and USMLE etc. Will it look bad having submitted primaries but withdrawing before submitting secondaries for DO programs? Of course I assume this isn't nearly as bad as the alternative which is submit secondaries for DO, possibly get accepted somewhere and then turn down an acceptance. That could be deadly I have heard, so want to avoid that. I realize as of now I have roughly a 60% chance of getting MD this cycle--so a coin flip basically. Definitely don't have my hopes up. Thanks for any advice.